armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 04-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Major

Send a message via AIM to Zidane Send a message via MSN to Zidane

I could understand outlawing smoking in certain family oriented restaraunts because it could cause a lot of problems for developing children, and even adults, but outlawing smoking in bars? That's where you go to smoke and drink. >_>
We view ourselves on the eve of battle. We are nerved for the contest, and must conquer or perish. It is vain to look for present aid. We must now act or abandon all hope! Rally to the standard, and be no longer the scoff of mercenary tongues! Be men, be free men, that your children may bless their father's name. - Sam Houston

Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee

Old 04-29-2007, 11:36 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zidane View Post
I could understand outlawing smoking in certain family oriented restaraunts because it could cause a lot of problems for developing children, and even adults, but outlawing smoking in bars? That's where you go to smoke and drink. >_>
It works here Z... and it makes sense, and protects bar staff and non smokers from the harmful effects of smoking... Im 100% behind it...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
It works here Z... and it makes sense, and protects bar staff and non smokers from the harmful effects of smoking... Im 100% behind it...
We don't visit the pub to get health food. I still say it's hypocritical of us boozers to outlaw smoking in bars.

It's all *** backwards. Ban it from restaurants and cafes, but pubs are the one place smoking should be allowed. Let us have a place to voluntarily fry our livers and lungs.

And, as for the employees, we assume certain risks with the profession we choose. Smoking didn't become a factor recently. They knew the risks when they chose the profession.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:16 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Steady View Post
We don't visit the pub to get health food. I still say it's hypocritical of us boozers to outlaw smoking in bars.

It's all *** backwards. Ban it from restaurants and cafes, but pubs are the one place smoking should be allowed. Let us have a place to voluntarily fry our livers and lungs.

And, as for the employees, we assume certain risks with the profession we choose. Smoking didn't become a factor recently. They knew the risks when they chose the profession.
Thats were the welfare of the many outway the needs of the few..... I go to drink in a pub, I know its bad for my liver in excess, and if I do, I can harm myself, and myself alone.. However, If I goto the pub and smoke, I (Like drink) am making the decision to harm myself for pleasure, but I also harm the non smokers in my vacinity whom are present.. This is why my government made the right call, and its working. If your government considers passive smoking as its called to be acceptable, then we agree to disagree..... just means less of my countrymen get ill as a result of Passive smoking..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-29-2007, 05:52 PM
First Sergeant

non smokers make the choice to enter a smoky bar.....

they all could have gone to a non smoking bar, see thats what I'm trying to hit at is that they choose to enter an establishment like that. freedom of choice, I choose to enter a bar knowing that on top of my smokeing I'm also in haling a almost full pack of second hand smoke

Old 04-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Major

Send a message via AIM to Zidane Send a message via MSN to Zidane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Thats were the welfare of the many outway the needs of the few..... I go to drink in a pub, I know its bad for my liver in excess, and if I do, I can harm myself, and myself alone.. However, If I goto the pub and smoke, I (Like drink) am making the decision to harm myself for pleasure, but I also harm the non smokers in my vacinity whom are present.. This is why my government made the right call, and its working. If your government considers passive smoking as its called to be acceptable, then we agree to disagree..... just means less of my countrymen get ill as a result of Passive smoking..
If you want to kill your liver without having to put up with smokers then you should drink at home, invite a few buddies over and have a good time. It's up to the establishment owner though when it comes down to it. No matter how anyone feels about it, if the owner wants/doesn't want smoking in his establishment then it's up to him. But I personally don't think the government should have a say in whether restaraunts allow or disallow smoking.
We view ourselves on the eve of battle. We are nerved for the contest, and must conquer or perish. It is vain to look for present aid. We must now act or abandon all hope! Rally to the standard, and be no longer the scoff of mercenary tongues! Be men, be free men, that your children may bless their father's name. - Sam Houston

Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. - Robert E. Lee

Old 04-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Brigadier General

my stand on the issue would be restricted smoking in bars and total ban indoors.. well public indoors atleast. what comes to the smoking and driving, i dont think that the affect really
lasts more than few seconds when you speak about pure tobacco. how ever,
the risk factor is about the same than doing something else while driving.
(speaking in cellfone for example.. which has a dramatic effect.)

Old 04-29-2007, 07:13 PM
First Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
my stand on the issue would be restricted smoking in bars and total ban indoors.. well public indoors atleast. what comes to the smoking and driving, i dont think that the affect really
lasts more than few seconds when you speak about pure tobacco. how ever,
the risk factor is about the same than doing something else while driving.
(speaking in cellfone for example.. which has a dramatic effect.)

true about the cell phones, and in my state they just passed ORS that makes it a ticketable offense for talking on the cell phone while driving....
next it will be smoking in the car. As for public spaces I agree places of work should not have smoking in them however a bar or pubs have the choice and thats it trying to control my smoking outside is a nogo in my book

Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11binfantry View Post
true about the cell phones, and in my state they just passed ORS that makes it a ticketable offense for talking on the cell phone while driving....
next it will be smoking in the car. As for public spaces I agree places of work should not have smoking in them however a bar or pubs have the choice and thats it trying to control my smoking outside is a nogo in my book
here in Finland we have had a law against the cellphone usage while driving for.. umm several years now. its not widely enforced but you can get a ticket.
however.. as car is your territory.. you can smoke in it.
what comes to alcoholic beverages.. anyone who has opened bottle, has to be
on the back bench.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:47 PM
First Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
here in Finland we have had a law against the cellphone usage while driving for.. umm several years now. its not widely enforced but you can get a ticket.
however.. as car is your territory.. you can smoke in it.
what comes to alcoholic beverages.. anyone who has opened bottle, has to be
on the back bench.
ya thats what they are doing here if you get pulled over and say you were on your phone at any time during the inital stop or I.E. when the lights came on. then its a ticket other then that they have to see you operate your vehicle in an unsafe manner that poses a threat to you or other motorist then its a pull over.... ya alcholoick drinks on the back bench is a good plan I agree with that but controllin smoking is a no go