armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Current Events
User Name
Password

Old 03-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool Today was a good day for the Green Berets..S/F's..Next.

BAGHDAD -The U.S. military said Thursday it had captured the leaders of a Shiite insurgent network responsible for one of the boldest and most sophisticated attacks on American troops since the Iraq conflict began four years ago.

The statement said the arrests took place over the past three days in the cities of Basra and Hillah south of Baghdad. The military said the network was led by Qais Khazaali and his brother Laith Khazaali. Several other members of the network also were captured.

The network was "directly connected" to the killing in January of five American soldiers in the holy city of Karbala, 50 miles (80 kilometers) south of Baghdad, the military said.

In the Jan. 20 attack, gunmen speaking English, wearing U.S. military uniforms and carrying American weapons abducted four U.S. soldiers at Karbala's provincial headquarters and later shot them to death. A fifth soldier was killed during the attack.

The U.S. military, in a statement issued Jan. 26, confirmed a report by The Associated Press that three of the soldiers were dead and one was mortally wounded with a gunshot to the head when they were found in a neighboring province, about 25 miles (40 kilometers) from the compound where they were captured. A fifth soldier was killed in the initial attack on the compound.

A statement issued by the U.S. military on the day of the raid said the five soldiers were killed while "repelling" the attack on the Karbala compound.

The brazen assault, was conducted by nine to 12 gunmen posing as an American security team, the military confirmed. The attackers traveled in black GMC Suburban vehicles - the type used by U.S. government convoys - had American weapons, wore new U.S. military combat fatigues, and spoke English, according to two senior U.S. military officials as well as Iraqi officials.

In an AP report Wednesday, two senior commanders from the Mahdi Army Shiite militia identified Qais al-Khazaali as the leader of up to 3,000 fighters who defected from the Mahdi Army militia and were now financed directly by Iran and no longer loyal to firebrand cleric Muqtada al-Sadr.

Al-Khaazli is a cleric in his early 30s. The tall and slender man was a close al-Sadr aide in 2003 and 2004. He was al-Sadr's chief spokesman for most of 2004 and made nearly daily appearances on Arabic satellite news channels. He has not been seen in public since late that year.

Outspoken and uncompromisingly anti-American, al-Khazaali was a savvy spokesman, who went out of his way to accommodate the scores of Western and Arab reporters that covered the fighting in the summer of 2004 in the holy city of Najaf south of Baghdad.

When al-Sadr stood to deliver the Friday sermon in a mosque in Kufa, Najaf's twin city, in the months leading up to the Najaf battles, a stern faced al-Khazaali stood motionless to the right of his leader. Both wore white shrouds over their clerical robes, suggesting their readiness for martyrdom.

In the days after the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime, al-Khazaali led groups of young clerics loyal to al-Sadr who protected his native Sadr City, the teeming Shiite district in eastern Baghdad, against looters and worked to restore basic services.

In Washington Wednesday, a Pentagon official who declined to be identified because of the information's sensitivity, confirmed that some gunmen had gone to Iran for training and that al-Khazaali has a following. However, the official could not confirm the number of his followers or whether Iran was financing them.

The two Mahdi Army commanders blamed several recent attacks on U.S. forces in eastern Baghdad on the splinter group they said was led by al-Khazaali. They also said they believed the breakaway force had organized the attempt last week to kill Rahim al-Darraji, Sadr City's mayor.

Al-Darraji, who is close to the Sadrist movement, was involved in talks with the U.S. military about extending the five-week-old Baghdad security sweep into Sadr City, the Mahdi Army stronghold in eastern Baghdad that was a no-go zone for American forces until about three weeks ago.

Al-Darraji was seriously wounded and two of his bodyguards were killed.

It sounds like the S/F's had a good day. It serves the bastard right. Anytime we can take a murder. A (T) not a soldier, from the field or streets is a good thing. I wonder if this T likes plenty of fresh water? I hope this guy gets the best water board treatment there is....A few less high ranking T's is a good day.....Nice job.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 03-22-2007 at 08:50 PM..

Old 03-22-2007, 08:50 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
I wonder if this T likes plenty of fresh water? I hope this guy gets the best water board treatment there is..[/COLOR]
Yup, an excellent way to grow more terrorists.

'Never was so much owed by so many to so few.'
Sir Winston Churchill.

Nearly 750,000 Iraqis have died since 2003 who might still be alive but for the US-led invasion. That is a cause for shame, not pride.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurusch View Post
Yup, an excellent way to grow more terrorists.
....or get better intel to kill or capture more. It beats cutting off heads...while filming.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Colonel

Quote:
It beats cutting off heads...while filming.
Exactly. What does that do to us in the West? Make us wanna give up? No, it makes us want revenge. And it's the same with the arseholes we're fighting. Torture them and/or humiliate them and they get stronger. This 'war' against terror should always have been an international 'police' action. Most countries at the time were well on Americas side and just a few $billion would have killed the terror nests. Instead we've increased the problem 1000 fold.

Sir Winston Churchill.

Nearly 750,000 Iraqis have died since 2003 who might still be alive but for the US-led invasion. That is a cause for shame, not pride.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

C'mon K, they're operating sleeper cells! A few billion and police action can't eradicate terror and stabilize a region!

Old 03-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
C'mon K, they're operating sleeper cells! A few billion and police action can't eradicate terror and stabilize a region!
You call the Iraq debacle an eradication of terror and a stabilisation of the region?

Sir Winston Churchill.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:49 AM
General of the Armies

Quote:
It sounds like the S/F's had a good day. It serves the bastard right. Anytime we can take a murder. A (T) not a soldier, from the field or streets is a good thing. I wonder if this T likes plenty of fresh water? I hope this guy gets the best water board treatment there is....A few less high ranking T's is a good day.....Nice job.
Bud, good article, interesting too... it does sound like the SFs did a good job... and like you I have ZERO sympathy for combatant Ts getting waxed in operations... however waterboarding is against the geneva convention, and is counter productive ESPECIALLY if you got the wrong guy. Taking them down in an action, 100% down with that.... torture is not ok with me... but I for one will not impose my western values on the Middle east... on the other side of that arguement is "When in Rome..." just remember to get the right guys and "interrogation" is kept secret..

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 03-23-2007, 11:58 AM
First Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Bud, good article, interesting too... it does sound like the SFs did a good job... and like you I have ZERO sympathy for combatant Ts getting waxed in operations... however waterboarding is against the geneva convention, and is counter productive ESPECIALLY if you got the wrong guy. Taking them down in an action, 100% down with that.... torture is not ok with me... but I for one will not impose my western values on the Middle east... on the other side of that arguement is "When in Rome..." just remember to get the right guys and "interrogation" is kept secret..
With all due respect Exo, the Geneva covention rules don't apply to insurgents who use terrorist methods.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:13 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcCain View Post
With all due respect Exo, the Geneva covention rules don't apply to insurgents who use terrorist methods.
Exactly! I say use whatever they respond to... no holds barred... A fair fight is when both sides adhere to a set of rules. Those bastards respect absolutely nothing. However, if we can't keep our operations secret, we definitely should not be doing that stuff.
Keep it secret or keep it clean

Old 03-23-2007, 03:53 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcCain View Post

Correct, because Insurgents dont fit the criteria of legtimate combatant under the convention accord, thus dont qualify for rights as a POW. However, if you read my post again you will see I am presenting two sides to this issue, one is the high road which will may win hearts and minds, and the other is the low road where waterboarding is a commonly used interrogation technique. Two late for the high road, but the low road needs to be done to the RIGHT people and kept secret.... FYI to all tho think torture is a rightly a horrible activity... your Armies have engaged in it on govt orders since the dawn of time.. its the nasty side of war, and as common as the gun on the battlefield.

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"