armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Money and Finance
User Name
Password

Old 04-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Private First Class

Question Need Major Help!!!

Okay so I am not new to the whole military thing..... when my husband was in before we did not have to move or anything...... this time we are going to have to move, sooo I need help! I need to know how this process works I know we get orders, and he has something like 10 days to get to where he is going......First off what happens to our household items? I read somewhere that the military can move it for you(how do you go about that? I don't live near a base like 500 plus miles away) or you can move it yourself.....ok so we get to our station 1 kid 2 dogs and husband in tow lol! what do we do? I read a lot of housing you have to wait to apply when you get there. so where do we stay for a month or so until they have housing available? or until we can find a place.... I know they have hotels on base but they are still 60.00 a night and we cant afford that on a e-3salary lol........ please please someone explain this and what all I need to do beings this will be his first orders we will not have time for a sponsor and such or believe me I would be asking for one lol

Thanks,
The Reiss Family!

Last edited by reiss2; 04-17-2009 at 01:10 AM..

Old 04-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiss2 View Post
Okay so I am not new to the whole military thing when my husband was in before we did not have to move or anything this time we are going to have to move sooo I need help! I need to know how this process works I know we get orders and he has something like 10 days to get to where he is going......First off what happens to our household items I read somewhere that the military can move it for you(how do you go about that) or you can move it yourself.....ok so we get to our station right 1 kid 2 dogs and husband in tow lol what do we do I read a lot of housing you have to wait to apply when you get there so where do we stay for a month or so until they have housing available or until we can find a place I know they have hotels on base but they are still 60.00 a night asnd we cant afford that on a e-3salary lol please please someone explain this and what all I need to do beings this will be his first orders we will not have time for a sponsor and such or believe me I would be asking for one lol

Thanks,
The Reiss Family!
Please use periods to end your sentences lol. I am going back and forth to understand. Anyway, let me try to answer your question. I am not Major Help but Warrant Officer Q.

First, you need orders and to make alot of copies of them. To get your household goods move, you will take your orders to the Transportation section (outbound for leaving the base/inbound for arriving to the base). If you are not at a base (like I first was). I took my orders to the nearest Army base (West Point was mine first) when I completed MOS training and got my first assignment. I was prior service as well.

Transportation working with you will arrange for a date for your move. Movers first will come to your house and inspect and usually will take 2 days to do so. One day to actually pack all the stuff and then second day to put it on the trucks. You dont do anything except to offer Kool-aid. This is not a Do-it-yourself move (DITY) which I wouldnt recommend but transportation can give you information if you want to do it yourself.

Anyway, the movers now take your stuff and your are back with some belongings and your car to head to your new duty station. When you arrive to the base, your husband will head to the replacement section and since he has his family with him; he will be allowed to go to the Army lodging and get a temporary room. You will not have to pay for this. The Army will give you TLA (temporary lodging allowance) to pay for the room and your husband will take the required forms to finance to assist with his in-processing. dont worry, he will get money for this. If you know the base, I suggest you find their website and their housing office and give them a call to find out how you can get on their waiting list. You probably have to fax the orders as well but do this promptly. If there is a long wait, you can seek housing off-post (you can do that anyway since you are married) and check online to find the cost of renting an apartment. If you live off-post, the government will give you BAH to help cover the cost for rent. Once your husband gets locked into a unit (if he doesnt have one), he should receive an email in AKO for a sponsor. If not, while he is at replacement and gets assignment, his immediate leadership will arrive to square him away. Dont fret.

Last edited by wolq; 04-17-2009 at 01:17 AM..

Old 05-19-2009, 05:25 AM
Recruit

Hello Friends,
where do we stay for a month or so until they have housing available? or until we can find a place.... I know they have hotels on base business.

Thanks