armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 02-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Recruit

Default Soldier Mom ???

Hi, I am a proud Soldier Mom, my son started boot camp 9-11-08 and is currently at his work station. Rumor has Fort Lewis is being deployed soon. Does anyone know what you can and or can not send to our soldiers when they are over seas? Is there a website to access with this information? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Old 02-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Corporal

There is an organization called Hugs4smilesusa.org if you go to thier site and look under "packages" there is a list of prohibited items. I assume the list applies to all branches of the Military, and not just that specific organization. I hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:37 PM
Recruit

Thank you very much!

Old 02-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Corporal

Your welcome. I also found a couple more sites for info.

[url]http://www.usps.com/supportingourtroops/mailingrestrictions.htm[/url]
[url]http://ortiz.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=140&Item id=[/url]

Military OneSource is a 24-hour, 7-days-a-week, toll-free information and referral telephone service 1-800-342-9647 available worldwide to active duty, Reserve, and National Guard military members and their families; and to deployed civilians and their families. Military OneSource provides information ranging from everyday concerns to deployment-related issues. Also, if there is a need for face-to-face counseling, Military OneSource can provide a referral for six sessions per issue to professional civilian counselors at no cost to the service member or family member (please note in-person counseling is only available in the United States and Puerto Rico). Overseas, Military OneSource can help access the existing services provided through the Medical Treatment Facilities.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Brigadier General

You'll also have to determine which units at Ft. Lewis are being deployed. It might only be one brigade of a division and/or a bunch of smaller units. The whole post won't be deploying I can guarantee you.

Also you have to keep OPSEC in mind. Many units, the 2nd Ranger Batt for one, don't like their deployments publicized. If it becomes wide-spread news articles I guess it would be OK. We can't keep our troops safe enough, though.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Private

Default Army Mom

Hi,

I'm an Army mom too. I have a son who was in Iraq and usually they will tell you what they want. I sent all kinds of things. Beef jerky was the biggest favorite. I sent fruit, nuts whatever he asked for. They can buy some things where they are stationed. Trust me, you will be making more trips to the post office than you ever dreamed.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Private

Default Army Mom

Hi Melanie,

I have a son who was in Iraq. It isn't easy but with emails and phone calls it really helps. As far as sending packages beef jerky is a big hit. My son used to let me know what he wanted. There isn't much that you can't send. I sent fruit, nuts, car magazines and whatever he asked for. You will be making more trips to the post office than you could imagine.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:23 AM
Brigadier General

I always included a few cans of Cope along in the package. My son doesn't use it but most of his buddies do. Nothing worse than not being able to have a dip when you need it most! I used it for a good portion of my military career, but not anymore.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.