armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 12-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Staff Sergeant

Default 24th special tactics SQUADRON

like you know DELTA, DEVGRU and 24TH SPECIAL TACTICS SQUADRON (AIR FORCE), are in the jsoc command but i want to know more a bout 24th STS, the only thing i know is that 24th is formed from combat controllers and parajumpers, so if you can give me some info would be great , are these people like DELTA and DEVGRU i mean the confidential things and training?

thanks

Old 12-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibil1944 View Post
like you know DELTA, DEVGRU and 24TH SPECIAL TACTICS SQUADRON (AIR FORCE), are in the jsoc command but i want to know more a bout 24th STS, the only thing i know is that 24th is formed from combat controllers and parajumpers, so if you can give me some info would be great , are these people like DELTA and DEVGRU i mean the confidential things and training?

thanks
[url]http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usaf/24sts.htm[/url]

I wouldn't say the 24th is on the level of DEVGRU or Delta. Simply because the our government acknowledges the fact that they exist. Delta officially doesn't exist and officially DEVGRU is a research group the Naval Special Warfare Command. I'm not aware of any unit in the Air Force with the level of secrecy involved with Delta and DEVGRU. The 24th is though like all Special Ops units a highly trained professional fighting force. It would be easier to compare to a SEAL Team or a Special Forces Group. What really seperates Delta and DEVGRU from all other Special Ops units (besides the secrecy) is that while ALL Special Ops units have counter terrorism as a mission, Delta and DEVGRU were designed for counter terrorism as their first and foremost mission.

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - Gen William T. Sherman

Old 12-05-2006, 03:31 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by onep0int View Post

I wouldn't say the 24th is on the level of DEVGRU or Delta. Simply because the our government acknowledges the fact that they exist. Delta officially doesn't exist and officially DEVGRU is a research group the Naval Special Warfare Command. I'm not aware of any unit in the Air Force with the level of secrecy involved with Delta and DEVGRU. The 24th is though like all Special Ops units a highly trained professional fighting force. It would be easier to compare to a SEAL Team or a Special Forces Group. What really seperates Delta and DEVGRU from all other Special Ops units (besides the secrecy) is that while ALL Special Ops units have counter terrorism as a mission, Delta and DEVGRU were designed for counter terrorism as their first and foremost mission.
Never heard of the 24th before, the description looks like a tactical strike force..... Like US Army Rangers maybe??...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 12-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Never heard of the 24th before, the description looks like a tactical strike force..... Like US Army Rangers maybe??...

They're more like a Special Forces or SEALs (the Air Force's Special Ops teams CCT, Special Tactics, and Pararescue actually train with the SEALs alot). At least in the sense that they operate mainly in small units. Our Rangers are operate like Infantry, they're just a higher caliber of Soldier than your average Infantryman. Ranger training is considered by many to be the 2nd hardest in the U.S. Armed Forces after SEAL training.

"War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over" - Gen William T. Sherman

Old 12-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Staff Sergeant

Quote:

That confuses me, because then why a 24th sts in jsoc where all the secretive and elite groups are if1 there is an afsoc where is the 720th special tactics squadron?

well and another thing is that if the 24th were like seals and all that dont you think that we could find more info about it or some photos? well thats my though and thanks for sharing yours lets keep the thread and post more comments or thoughts?

Old 12-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibil1944 View Post
That confuses me, because then why a 24th sts in jsoc where all the secretive and elite groups are if1 there is an afsoc where is the 720th special tactics squadron?

well and another thing is that if the 24th were like seals and all that dont you think that we could find more info about it or some photos? well thats my though and thanks for sharing yours lets keep the thread and post more comments or thoughts?
ALL of our Special Ops units belong to SOCOM/JSOC. 75th Ranger Regiment, Army Special Forces, Delta Force, 160th Aviation, Navy SEALs, Navy SWCC, DEVGRU, Special Tactics, CCT, Pararescue, and the Marines recently joined with the addition of DET1.

JSOC organizes all of our Special Ops units under one command for joint missions (one of Rumsfelds good ideas). Basically all special units do not belong to the branch they come from they belong to SOCOM/JSOC.

For example in Iraq there was a JSOC Task Force setup that was made up of Rangers, CCT, SEALs, SWCC and Army Special Forces (I'm sure Delta and DEVGRU were involved in there as well but as they "don't exist" you don't hear about it) to peform a variety of tasks. Joint operability and command between the different groups.

SEALs also have a larger amount of fame than all the Special Ops groups (something they are not really too fond of) thats why there is so much more stuff on the SEALs available. It's due to their tremendous success in the Vietnam War. They were the most succesful American Special Ops team in the war in terms of VC and NVA killed or captured and weapons and ordance destroyed or captured. They achieved statistically higher stats than their counterparts in other branches while having at the highest number no more than 255 SEALs in Vietnam. That is where the fame and therefore all videos, books, pictures ect... stem from.

ALL Special Ops groups hate attention. Thats why you don't see much about Special Tactics, they're out of the lime light and prefer to stay that way. That is why all operators (of any branch) in this specialized line of work are refered to as the "Quiet Professionals".

Special Tactics is a very elite group just like the SEALs or Special Forces ect... I'm not taking anything away from them. They have the same basic missions; Direct Action, Foreign Internal Defense, Counter Terrorism, Combat Search and Rescue, Unconventional Warfare ect... and operate in a very similar matter. With the exception that one group might specialize in something more than another. For example the SEALs are master combat swimmers, and Special Forces are masters at Unconventional Warfare and Foreign Internal Defense. But as far as I know of the Air Force does not have a secret counter terror unit. Delta Force kind of already embodies the idea of Ground/Air counter terror unit as it's based on the British SAS. With Delta having that covered, Marcinko came up with the idea for a Naval counter terror group which was SEAL Team 6 based on the SBS. That was shut down when it got too much publicity and that is where DEVGRU has come from.

[url]http://www.specialoperations.com/USAF/Special_Tactics/Default.htm[/url]

Another link.

Last edited by onep0int; 12-05-2006 at 05:46 PM..

Old 12-06-2006, 01:58 PM
General of the Armies

Good info Onepoint thanks.... Your SF formations are sure complex in their set ups.. and structures...

Old 12-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Major

Quote:
Good info Onepoint thanks.... Your SF formations are sure complex in their set ups.. and structures...
No problem.

After the Desert One fiasco, the idea came up that one command for all Special Ops units was needed with a command for joint missions between different groups.

The way it works for example is lets say you have the SEALs well the SEALs recruit from the Navy and are under the Naval Special Warfare Command. However NSW answers to SOCOM and SOCOM will provide the units when needed for joint missions which is when JSOC comes into play. SOCOM is Special Operations Command and JSOC is Joint Special Operations Command. I guess it is abit complex but after what happened with Desert One, it was needed. It's been working good since.

Last edited by onep0int; 12-06-2006 at 04:17 PM..

Old 12-07-2006, 02:46 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
No problem.

After the Desert One fiasco, the idea came up that one command for all Special Ops units was needed with a command for joint missions between different groups.

The way it works for example is lets say you have the SEALs well the SEALs recruit from the Navy and are under the Naval Special Warfare Command. However NSW answers to SOCOM and SOCOM will provide the units when needed for joint missions which is when JSOC comes into play. SOCOM is Special Operations Command and JSOC is Joint Special Operations Command. I guess it is abit complex but after what happened with Desert One, it was needed. It's been working good since.
As long as its working well bro... My Army experience is that the more the layers of paper and beauracy, the less anything real gets done... However, if the US have got around that, cool...

Hey you must be near Boot Camp time... Well my friend, remember "Barrel High, Powder Dry!".... Give em hell bro!!... Dont let the shouting get ya down... remembers its not personal... I am sure you will do well, and like nightflyer your dedication to your carrer and your country will be noticed from the begining.... go get em.... Master at Arms... has a nice ring to it....

I got a waiver for my reserve BootCamp cos of my military history.... I will have to do all the Test of Elementry Training Tests again (TOETS), will be a cake walk... All I need is 2 hrs with the Steyr and GPMG.... will be a blast getting back on the firing range again after so many years...

Old 12-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Major

Quote:

Hey you must be near Boot Camp time... Well my friend, remember "Barrel High, Powder Dry!".... Give em hell bro!!... Dont let the shouting get ya down... remembers its not personal... I am sure you will do well, and like nightflyer your dedication to your carrer and your country will be noticed from the begining.... go get em.... Master at Arms... has a nice ring to it....

I got a waiver for my reserve BootCamp cos of my military history.... I will have to do all the Test of Elementry Training Tests again (TOETS), will be a cake walk... All I need is 2 hrs with the Steyr and GPMG.... will be a blast getting back on the firing range again after so many years...
YES SIR!!! I can't wait!!! 1 week to go.

I must admit I do love the name Master at Arms haha.

Congrats on going into the reserve. You couldn't stay out huh!?!? Once your addicted to the military I guess your addicted for life haha. I know I plan on staying in for a very long time.