armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 11-05-2005, 05:43 AM
Private

Default Disqualifed?

Hello,
Im wondering would I be disqualified from enlisting in the army for having Asthma? I have pill's that keep it under controll and i rarely have problem's with my asthma. I play basketball which involves alot of running, still, my asthma don't bother me. Just wondering would I still be allowed to join? I sure hope so.
-EthanS

Old 11-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Sergeant First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to arctcfightr

ok what happens if you dont take your pills will it comeback? when was the last time you had a asthma attack if it hasnt been for awhile and ppl do grow out of asthma attacks not all but alot
and if you have grew out of it but just dont know it yet dont take your pills cary your inhaler with you and if nothing happens after a few days of hard running/cardio work out then id think your ok just when u go in to tell the recruiter make sure he is a cool guy most will just ask when was the last time u had an attack and thats it so if u think your in the clear from it its ok just dont go telling the guy giving the physicals that u used to have asthma

Old 11-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

If you have to take medication for your asthma, chances are very slim that you will be allowed to join.

A recruiter will be able to tell you for certain, however, I would highly suggest not taking the above advice on not disclosing your asthma. If they do not find out now, they will find out later and you do not want a fraudulent enlistment (that's a dishonorable discharge) on your record.

Remember, it isn't just your life at stake in the military, people depend on you....if you have physical ailments that could prevent you from performing your duties, you need to disclose them.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Sergeant First Class

tacky you can go that rout to if you want but there are alot of soldiers int he army that disclosed medical info inorder to join im sure u did something like that with something when you where small do it if you want its not the right the thing to do but there are hunderds who have done it just to get in

Old 11-05-2005, 05:23 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctcfightr
tacky you can go that rout to if you want but there are alot of soldiers int he army that disclosed medical info inorder to join im sure u did something like that with something when you where small do it if you want its not the right the thing to do but there are hunderds who have done it just to get in
I know that many people lie on their medical forms and to the Drs at MEPS. However, there is a huge difference in having a horrible cold that resulting in bronchitis when you were 7 and not telling them, than having active asthma that requires medication now and not disclosing it.

You're advising someone to not only compromise their morals and honour by lying, but also compromise what chance they may have at joining the military.

As for myself, I told them everything there was to tell about myself....I wanted them to have NOTHING on me. I've had to go through several investigations for my clearances, had I lied about anything.. I would have jeopardized my entire career.

Not everyone is physically capabale or able to join the military, it may not be fair, but that is life. Lying about something YOU think is small, may not be in the long run.

Old 11-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Sergeant First Class

all i was asking him was if he still had it when his last outbreak was if it has been longer than 6 months or so he should be fine and need not to tell unless he thinks his probleme is realy bad.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:56 PM
Private

Default Since 5

Hey,
It's been quite sometime since I had an Asthma attack, it's been like since i was 5 year's old, maybe a little older. I hardly do take my pill's for my Asthma, i still got the bottle from two months ago, my asthma has not bothered me, except for when im out during the night breathing cold air for hour's at a time, which i consider this a cold.
-EthanS