armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 05-24-2009, 04:16 AM
Brigadier General

Default Belated goodbye to the F-117

Despite its productive combat service, the F-117 was designed with late 1970s technologies. Its stealth technology, while more advanced than that of any other aircraft except the B-2 Spirit, F-22 and F-35, is maintenance intensive. Furthermore, the facet-based stealth design has been surpassed by newer technology. Program Budget Decision 720 (PBD 720), dated 28 December 2005, proposed retiring the entire fleet by October 2008 to permit buying more F-22As. PBD 720 called for 10 aircraft to be retired in FY 2007 and the remaining 42 aircraft in FY 2008 and stated there were more capable Air Force assets that could provide low observable, precision penetrating weapons capability including the B-2, F-22 and JASSM. The Air Force originally planned to retire the F-117 in 2011. The Air Force later decided to retire the F-117 sooner to shift funds to modernizing the rest of the fleet.[27] This would save an estimated $1.07 billion.

A pair of specially painted F-117 Nighthawks fly off from their last refueling by the Ohio Air National Guard's 121st Air Refueling WingIn late 2006, the Air Force closed the F-117 pilot school, and announced the retirement of the F-117. The first six aircraft to be retired made the last flight on 12 March 2007 after a ceremony at Holloman AFB to commemorate the aircraft's career. Brigadier General David Goldfein, commander of the 49th Fighter Wing, said at the ceremony, "With the launch of these great aircraft today, the circle comes to a close their service to our nation's defense fulfilled, their mission accomplished and a job well done. We send them today to their final resting place a home they are intimately familiar with their first, and only, home outside of Holloman.

Unlike most other Air Force aircraft which are retired to Davis-Monthan AFB, the F-117s are being retired to the Tonopah Test Range Airport. At Tonopah, their wings will be removed and the aircraft will be stored in their original hangars. On 11 March 2008, it was reported that the last F-117s in service would touch down on 22 April 2008 in Tonopah Test Range Airfield in Nevada, the site of the F-117's first flight.The F-117 was retired during ceremonies at Palmdale and Tonopah on 22 April 2008. Four aircraft were kept flying beyond April by the 410th Flight Test Squadron at Palmdale for flight test. By the beginning of August, two were remaining, and the last F-117 left Palmdale to fly to Tonopah on 11 August 2008. With the last aircraft leaving for retirement, the 410th was inactivated in a ceremony on 1 August 2008.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhyjGiHks1g[/url]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F117Banking2006.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	435   Click image for larger version

Name:	F_117_Nighthawk_1.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	436   Click image for larger version

Name:	UsaFlagF117_1.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	437  
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 05-24-2009, 05:45 AM
Brigadier General

You can always tell you're getting old when it seems like just yesterday that the F 117 was introduced after a few years of complete secrecy.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Corporal

It's not you that's getting old so much, Top, as the fact that the F-117 flew in nearly complete secrecy for the first 7 years of its operational life. By the time the government came out and admitted that it existed, it was already getting long in the tooth, and that was 20 years ago. The fact that any cutting edge technology only stays that way for a short while means that we are constantly upgrading - I've seen field radios go from PRC-77 to SINCGARS to ASIPS to MBITR - truly amazing when I look back on it.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:09 AM
Brigadier General

Do you mean to say they're not using PRC 77s anymore??? I suppose then they must have phased out the 25s as well.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:50 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
You can always tell you're getting old when it seems like just yesterday that the F 117 was introduced after a few years of complete secrecy.
Getting old?...you?...no way.

The F-117 must have had test flights in the 1970s and the other bomber you guys had the Blackbird was even earlier...Thats where all these UFO claims come from...very unusual aircraft for their time.

Who knows what governments have up their sleeves now?.

كافر

Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Brigadier General

the flying troll.. one of which was shot down by 60's basic soviet anti air battery.

even if we would fly it, I would say good riddance.

it newer was what it was ment to be.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:46 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
the flying troll.. one of which was shot down by 60's basic soviet anti air battery.

even if we would fly it, I would say good riddance.

it newer was what it was ment to be.

Kosovo 1999...I think it was the SA-3 system that downed one.The Serbs were pretty clever with the positioning of their SAM systems..They also increased the wavelength of the radar systems...which now it seems picks up F-117s....Saying that though it is 35 year old stealth technology and I would imagine in the end the Nighthawk was used as a conventional aircraft once integrated and the most effective air defence systems were neutralized....which takes away the whole point of the aircraft hence its retirement.

كافر