armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Share Your Stories
User Name
Password

Old 04-15-2009, 02:33 PM
Corporal

Default Where am I going to be?

I'm currently 19 and I live in southwest part of Ohio. I just recently enlisted as a PFC into the U.S. Army and will be going to Ft. Leonard Wood for OSUT as a 21b combat engineer.

In high school I was in AFJROTC and ended up being Deputy commander and Drill Team commander(which doesn't matter at all in the real world). From there I was given an Army ROTC scholarship to Wright State University for Electrical Engineering. My first quarter I was contracted, I had good grade for only 13 credit hours, and was approve for a secret security clearance. The second quarter was too much for me. I was taking 20 credit hours so I could meet my engineering requirements in 4 years. I would have been fine, but getting up at 05:30 for PT M,W,and F, and going to bed at 2 to 3 in the morning just made me a zombie. I would end up falling asleep in class and missing a lot of notes. That in all killed my GPA. So I decided to take an alternative route.

I signed with a 3 year active duty and 5 year reserve contract. Understanding the importance of a college education in today's world I will continue taking maybe one or two classes while on active duty. Then I'll go back as a full time student and take it at my own pace as a reservist. I want to an officer in the end.

On the other hand I'm almost clueless after that.
I'm financially set up with a checking,savings, and a Roth.
My physical profile is 111121 with a APFT of 237
no criminal record
I have a secret security clearance
My girl broke up with me after I told her I was going to basic.

The only thing that really come to mind is FBI,CIA, or something in that respect.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Brigadier General

You can remain in engineering & use your Army-taught skills on the outside. But you don't have to do what you do in the Army once you're back in the civilian world. That's what that up to $50,000 towards you education is for. You can definitely get educated outside of your Army MOS. My former dentist, now retired, was an Airborne Combat Infantryman serving in Korea & Vietnam. He used his GI Bill to go to Dental School.

I was Airborne Infantry & I certainly don't do that in civilian life. All I was trained for was killing people & blowing things up. I have several degrees, one Associate (almost Bachelor's) & one Bachelor's. Some classes for them were taken while in active duty, some I had between my Navy & Army years.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:00 PM
First Sergeant

YourRDXman, do you have any clue what a Combat Engineer does?
I'm going to sum up like this,
you will spend a lot of time on your belly poking the ground with a fiberglass probe looking for mines. Yes mines, as in land mines. When you're not doing that, you are placing the previously mentioned land mines. You will be attached to a Infantry unit and you will be out clearing mines and IED's. Occasionally, there will be other missions, such as the building of schools, clinics and the like.
I spent a long 2 years in a Engineer unit as a commo chief. The only thing I saw that was remotely interesting was the demo work that was done.
If you're in Southwest Ohio, then you need to go across the river to Ft. Thomas and check out 478 EN BN and get a good idea of what a 21B does.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Corporal

I know what I'm in for. I guess I could of chose a nicer mos, but I like building stuff, blowing up stuff, and saving lives. Just my little life story here.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:32 PM
First Sergeant

Well, if you know what your in for, good luck!
I would still visit 478 EN BN. It's worth the trip. Not hard to find and for the most part friendly enough.
LAY HO HEAVE!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Private

Default To answer your Q:

faster than you think you will find yourself in Afghanistan or Iraq clearing mines and IED's
or digging trenches.
we all had our plans, but the bets-made plans mean nothing to The Lord and we find ourselfs in some hell-hole because some crooked and dumb 'politician' has to make his 'mark'.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:52 AM
Sergeant First Class

Back in 1983, I wanted to be an electrical engineer so I enlisted as a 12B (back then) combat engineer. My recruiter stretched the truth lol. I did 12B for 6 years before breaking into other MOSes but it was an experience and alot of manual labor.

Anyway OP, why the big decision after one hard semester? It took me two years of messing up in college before I went on active duty lol. And it took me 12 years after I dropped out of college to get my associates and then two years laters to get my bachelors but I stuck with it. Point was that back when I first went on active duty (Marines in 87), I was a computer programmer but was always in the field. I didnt have a chance to take courses. In those days, you had to sit in a classroom but now and days with online learning, its so much more easier. I am doing my Masters online at the moment and will be taking courses while I am deployed in Afghanistan.

So good luck and I wish you the best. ESSAYONS!! if you already know that what that means.

Mr. Q
US Army Europe