armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 05-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryShortcake View Post
I'm looking at his OSUT as a sort of deployment prep. If we can handle this, with no phone calls, and him not receiving my letters, then we can handle a deployment. It hasn't been all too bad for me. I miss him a lot, and a lot of times I'm afraid to go to sleep because I dream of him. At first the dreams were good, like a visit with him.. Now when I dream, I know in my dream that I'm dreaming and it makes me miss him more.

i just keep myself busy and write to him a lot.. it makes it tons easier.

and thanks
Actually, with technology, I often speak more with my husband when he's deployed then when he is stateside for training. It's weird but true. I know many people who talk to their Soldier's several times a day even.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
Permanent Change of Station (PCS) means he goes from one installation to another. In civilian terms, he moves. When a Soldier is deployed, he goes from his home duty station (where he is assigned) to an area temporarily but he continues to be assigned to that duty station. When you PCS, you make a complete move. Does that make sense?
So his new "home duty station" is in Korea, but he will move around every so often? But will essentially return to Korea?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier gf View Post
So his new "home duty station" is in Korea, but he will move around every so often? But will essentially return to Korea?
Korea is a one year tour. He will move somewhere else after his one year there. When I said home station, I meant it as a Soldier's duty station for deployment. Your boyfriend is not deployed to Korea, he is assigned there. He will get orders somewhere else afterwards, most likely stateside. He will stay at that duty station for a couple years. Not sure how many years he enlisted for, but its a possibility he would go to Korea and then somewhere stateside for his enlistment.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Korea is a one year tour. He will move somewhere else after his one year there. When I said home station, I meant it as a Soldier's duty station for deployment. Your boyfriend is not deployed to Korea, he is assigned there. He will get orders somewhere else afterwards, most likely stateside. He will stay at that duty station for a couple years. Not sure how many years he enlisted for, but its a possibility he would go to Korea and then somewhere stateside for his enlistment.
He signed a 4 year contract a year ago. So he only has 3 left, 2 and 1/2 when he finishes up this tour in Korea. Ok, it makes sense now. Thank you!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Actually, with technology, I often speak more with my husband when he's deployed then when he is stateside for training. It's weird but true. I know many people who talk to their Soldier's several times a day even.
Oh, I know. They can use phones and the internet, that's why I see BCT as prep.. If we can handle 14 weeks with so little communication, deployment will be easily handled... with the exception of my constant "is he okay" worry

Old 05-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Oh, I know. They can use phones and the internet, that's why I see BCT as prep.. If we can handle 14 weeks with so little communication, deployment will be easily handled... with the exception of my constant "is he okay" worry
StrawberryShortcake--letters, letters, letters! Even if you don't hear from him, keep sending him letters. BCT is tougher for some than it is for others, and seriously, the only thing that gets them through in the end is hearing support from their loved ones. I'm not saying your guy is weak--mine almost didn't make it through after a while b/c of how beat down and burned out he got. The guys get a little time to write back, and only get mail call a couple times a week. But he will need it.

As for keeping your own heart in this; network. Get closer to your friends, let them support you. Family--his, yours, both. Whatever. I can be here for you too--send me a message whenever on whatever. For me, the deployment has been a little easier (in some ways) than BCT simply b/c my soldier and I now get to talk via Skype and text. BCT, we only had letters. And when I got a phone call from him...i cried b/c i missed his voice so much. It is doable though, and I can help you if you need it.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
StrawberryShortcake--letters, letters, letters! Even if you don't hear from him, keep sending him letters. BCT is tougher for some than it is for others, and seriously, the only thing that gets them through in the end is hearing support from their loved ones. I'm not saying your guy is weak--mine almost didn't make it through after a while b/c of how beat down and burned out he got. The guys get a little time to write back, and only get mail call a couple times a week. But he will need it.

As for keeping your own heart in this; network. Get closer to your friends, let them support you. Family--his, yours, both. Whatever. I can be here for you too--send me a message whenever on whatever. For me, the deployment has been a little easier (in some ways) than BCT simply b/c my soldier and I now get to talk via Skype and text. BCT, we only had letters. And when I got a phone call from him...i cried b/c i missed his voice so much. It is doable though, and I can help you if you need it.
He actually writes to me a lot, I've gotten 15 letters, 2 of them being cards, and 2 little drawings! I write to him everyday, but apparently he hasn't been getting any letters.. I guess their postal service is slow, and like Armygirl4ever told me, his DS probably hasn't gone to pick up letters yet..
I personally have been okay, I have my days... I try to keep busy lol.

And thanks so much

Old 05-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
He actually writes to me a lot, I've gotten 15 letters, 2 of them being cards, and 2 little drawings! I write to him everyday, but apparently he hasn't been getting any letters.. I guess their postal service is slow, and like Armygirl4ever told me, his DS probably hasn't gone to pick up letters yet..
I personally have been okay, I have my days... I try to keep busy lol.

And thanks so much
Yeah, the postal service can be slow....but my soldier also said that sometimes the drill sergeants try and "hold" the mail a day or two to make sure almost everyone receives at least something in the mail...Glad to hear that you have gotten a ton! I actually got 2 post cards, both with tanks on the fronts giving some info about the tank (yeah, he's a tanker! lol). Keeping busy definitely helps! Any time, now during BCT or later during a deployment, I'll be here!

Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Yeah, the postal service can be slow....but my soldier also said that sometimes the drill sergeants try and "hold" the mail a day or two to make sure almost everyone receives at least something in the mail...Glad to hear that you have gotten a ton! I actually got 2 post cards, both with tanks on the fronts giving some info about the tank (yeah, he's a tanker! lol). Keeping busy definitely helps! Any time, now during BCT or later during a deployment, I'll be here!
Aw, thanks, I appreciate that

I just find it odd because it's been so long.. I mean we've been sending letters for almost 3 weeks and he hasn't gotten a single letter from anyone..

Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Aw, thanks, I appreciate that

I just find it odd because it's been so long.. I mean we've been sending letters for almost 3 weeks and he hasn't gotten a single letter from anyone..
Okay that is not right....are you sure you have the address right? Any minor mistake could be the difference between the letters going to the right place or them going to the wrong place. My friend had that same problem several months ago--the wrong address, so her guy didn't get letters from her for awhile...