armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 03-15-2009, 03:32 AM
Recruit

Default Going through deployment alone.....

I just recently moved to alaska the end of Jan. I got to spend a month with my husband before he deployed.. We got married Feb 4th, he deployed Feb 28... Im in this state with only 2 friends.. No family, no job.. I just need some advice. My husbands only been gone for 2 weeks but it feels like months.. How am I supposed to survive in a new state (I'm from TX) without my friends and family. ANY advice will truly help tons..

Old 03-15-2009, 02:09 PM
Corporal

do you live on the base? there are army wife support groups on base usually. explore the town, maybe find a part time job to keep you occupied. some very very very experienced army wives actually enjoy deployment because it gives them a chance to do something that they normally wouldn't have time for, like taking a dance class or something. hope this helps!

silly boys... jeeps are for girls!
mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Old 03-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Captain

Stay busy but not too busy. Get involved with your Family Readiness Group. Make sure that you are on their roster so that you are getting information. That relieves a lot of stress if you are in the know of what is going on.

Get out of your house, staying in your house alone, focusing on being alone can really keep you down. Don't go to extremes in the hobby department because some Soldiers can't handle if their spouse changes too much.

I definitely encourage getting a job (if you can and want to) or finding something to do to be involved. Volunteer somewhere, when you serve others you forget about yourself and it's fulfilling.

You have to go and find things, you can't wait for friends to fall in your lap. Sometimes it's hard to go out and meet people in a new place but I promise it's worth it.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Corporal

Several of my friends wives were in the same situation when we were deployed to Iraq. They flew back home to their home town and stayed with family until they returned from the deployment. If you do leave you will miss the chance to develop some good friendships with other wives on post and in local groups you may attend.