armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > National Guard
User Name
Password

Old 02-06-2009, 01:14 AM
Private

Default Life after basic and AIT

I am 39 y/o male and I have received different info pertaining to when I am out of AIT about going fulltime active. I am being told I would just be a weekend warrior which I am not interested in and I have been told it's a crap shoot (right place right time) , I want to be fulltime active and I have a few MOS I am interested in. I have yet to take my ASVAB officially but I scored a 79 on it already in another fashion. I do not want to serve my country on a weekend basis. Can anyone help in giving me the truth here.

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:24 AM
Brigadier General

If you enlist in the Army Reserve or National Guard then you'll be a part-time soldier. That's their schedule, one weekend a month & two weeks a year. They train so they can be useful if the need arises that they be activated & deployed. Meanwhile they go about their daily business just like every other civilian.

If you want to be in the Active Duty Army then you have to enlist in the Active Duty Army.

The Guard & Reserve also have full-time personnel. Reservists on active duty. For the most part they're the ones who run the day-to-day operations of their units at the Armory or Reserve center. The Guard also had or has a program called "Active First". A recruit signs up for 3 or 4 years of active duty & then placed in a Guard unit for the remainder of his 8 year obligation.

What happens when a recruit gets shipped out for training is he'll go to BCT, then AIT & if he's Active Army will be assigned to an active unit. If he's a Reservist or Guardsman he'll be released to his Reserve or Guard unit where he'll serves part-time.

Make darn sure you tell your Recruiter that you want full time Army. If you have a National Guard Recruiter he'll have to pass you on to an Active Army Recruiter. National Guard Recruiters only recruit for the Guard unless you can go in the Active First program. Active Army Recruiters recruit for the Active Army as well as the Army Reserve.

Don't sign anything until you get exactly what you want in the contract, even if you have to wait for openings in school. Don't let them talk you into something else. Research any extras you want in your contract like Airborne School. Make sure it's there in the contract.

And by all means make sure you understand the difference between Active Duty Army, Army Reserve & Army National Guard. It goes to simple reason that if you enlist in the Reserve or Guard you'll be part-time. Tell the Recruiter exactly what you want!
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Private

Thumbs up

so it sounds like Active first in the guard is what your saying fits what I am looking for correct? And are there any special qualification I must have to go Active First in the Guard.

Thank you for you help.

Wayne

Old 02-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdmach1 View Post
so it sounds like Active first in the guard is what your saying fits what I am looking for correct? And are there any special qualification I must have to go Active First in the Guard.
OR-enlist in the Active Duty Army. Choose whichever gives you the best deal. I believe the qualifications are the same for the Guard & Active Army.. First there has to be a slot available in your local Guard unit that can remain open until you leave active duty. All MOSs require slightly different qualifications, physical & ASVAB grades. (Start studying)

Enlisting in the Guard will require you to choose an MOS that the Guard unit can use, then that slot is reserved for you in the unit until you leave active duty. If instead you enlist in the Active Duty Army (formerly called "Regular Army") you can choose whichever MOS you qualify for, even if you have to wait a few months for slots to open in the school.

Now you'll have to decide whether to start with an Active Army Recruiter or a National Guard Recruiter. They work separately.
Retired MSG

Old 02-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Private

Do you think being 39 is to late of a start?

Old 02-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Corporal

Quote:
Do you think being 39 is to late of a start?
For National guard you have to finish training by the time you turn 42 years old. I only know this cause my husband is 41 and turning 42 the day of his BCT graduation. He was cutting it close.
39 is not too late to serve your country. You'll be fine.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Brigadier General

I went into the Army at age 38 after being out of my 6 years in the Navy for 14 years. I elected to go Airborne Infantry & had no problems with that high-speed job. I stayed in the Army for 21 years & retired with a total of 27 years of military duty.

Get in shape & stay in shape before you enlist. It'll make BCT & AIT a breeze. Be able to pass the APFT for your age group with a good score, maybe even 80% or maxing the test.

Study for the ASVAB in order to get a good grade in that, too. More choices will be available to you.
Retired MSG

Old 02-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Private

Default Asvab

Now I have scores from the ASVAB how do they calculated for each section to determine a total or avg?????

Last edited by bdmach1; 02-09-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 02-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Private

Default Check this out

Quote:
Now I have scores from the ASVAB how do they calculated for each section to determine a total or avg?????
bdmach1,
check out this site. Click on the area that you are interested in and then it will break it down to the mos you are looking for. Click on the mos and sroll down to the minimum score section. This will tell you the minimun score you need to make in a certain section or sections of the asvab. To see the breakdown of the minimum score click on that link and it will tell you how to add them up. Do you have the the breakdown of your score? GS, AR, WK, etc. if not this will not help you until you do. Your recruiter can get these for you if you do not. Hope this helps. If you still have questions just ask......

[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/arjobs.htm[/url]

Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Private

Default Check this out

Quote:
[url]http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/arjobs.htm[/url]

Check this site out. Click on the area you are interested in. It will break it down to MOS. Choose a MOS and scroll down to the minimum score requirments. This tells you what the minimun score is for that job code. To see how to calculate this score using your asvab scores click on the (A minimum score, of 100 in aptitude area OF.) In this example you would be looking up how to calculate the area of OF.