armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Recruit

Lightbulb I can relate...

I have a very dear boyfriend in Ft Jackson. He and I are inseperable. He is litterally my best friend. I recieved a letter atleast 5 days ago. My best friend was talking as if they were crushing his world. He went in on January 5th and It seemed like its been months. He seemed motivated at first, as well as the letters and phone calls. However, the calls ceased and I began to recieve more and more letters stating that I wasnt writing him. I consulted my brother because he went through both the Navy and NJ state Police training. He explained that sometimes they hold the mail for more than a week. Depending upon which tasks are taking place that day. Once he graduated, he started to recieve more and more old mail. He explained that everyday he wanted to quit or asked himself what he was doing there. By the time graduation rolled around he had pushed himself day by day to move forward. And before he knew it it was over. I feel like while they are breaking the service men, they are getting the family prepared as well...they are breaking the need to be co dependent. It may sound wierd but it works. We are expected to be strong, and supportive at the same time. I would think there should be a training for immediate family to the soldiers that they hold so high. Everyone admits its hard, however, it is worth the sacrifice no matter what the circumstances are. Please be strong. And know that your son has found a coping mechanism that works for him. He is just venting to you becuase there is no one he can relate to or let his guard down with...just find inspiration in yourself to understand what is happening and how it may change your life and his. Look to prayer and be a constant reminder of hope to your son. You will be in my prayers as I suffer too...but these are the things that work for me.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Corporal

one thing i've always heard the military say about army families is that they also 'serve' in the army. i know it's tough to hear someone you love sound so discouraged and sad but that's what basic training is all about unfortunately. the army is trying to break them of being a civilian. you sent them a boy, they'll send back a soldier!

silly boys... jeeps are for girls!
mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:50 PM
Private First Class

Well we got a call this past Monday . . . seems someone used the phone without permission and so they lost phone time for two weeks lol. He's in C Company by the way. Was good to hear that he was no longer sick with the flu and hopefully the weather will begin to get better? He just wasn't used to the cold (grin). He now sounds like he is just ready for it to be over so he can move on to AIT training.

We did finally get the Graduation info . . . bummer it didn't arrive one week sooner before everything went up due to Spring Break lol. But we made our final arrangements today and did get a hotel that is very near the base. Oh and I watched a Graduation ceremoney online yesterday that was interesting.

Just FYI . . . most hotels will either not charge you till you arrive or will refund the full amount up to about 24 or 48 hrs prior to first nights stay. Also, if you purchase the airfare insurance, its easy to get dates changed or even fee refunded if needed. I would think it's pretty safe to say that they will graduate on time from what I've heard.

I did try checking the units webpage but it doesnt look like they spend much time updating it lol. One spot supposedly has photos but there are none and the grad info is still showing 2008 info.

I'm soooo excited to see my son as is his brother . . who btw will leave in May/June for his Basic. At least now I will have a better idea of how it all goes.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Recruit

Smile

Hello sad-mom. I just went threw this myself. My son started boot camp at Fort Knox 9-11-09, boot camp is hard for moms we received 4 phone calls in the 9 weeks he was in. We were lucky to get two minutes each call. But enough for him to say he loved us and everything was alright. Boot camp is designed to Build Their Soldier, they are busy from sunrise to past sunset. Hang in there. Your son will be ok and he can only call when they allow him too. Before you know it you will be seeing your son at graduation and I felt extremely honored to watch my son graduation! They work VERY hard for that day, and they look forward to the parents day, dont miss that! What a difference in your child! Hang in there! Enjoy your graduation day!

Old 02-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Corporal

yeah the unit pages are definitely in need of an update, but if you go here [url]http://www.jackson.army.mil/units/BCT.htm[/url] then on the lefthand side is a scroll bar of buttons, the 6th one down is pictures but i don't know how old they are lol. the recent grad dates are there too. glad to hear you got a call! that always brightens a day up

mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Old 02-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Private First Class

Wooohoooo found the Photo Gallery link yesterday and actually found two pics of my son!!! One we can only see the side of his face and back of his head. The other one, the person in front of him, his head is blocking my sons face from the nose down lol. Oh well, better than nothing! Was a bright spot in our day to find those photos.

26 days and counting
Teri

Old 02-22-2009, 07:29 AM
Corporal

Default Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanson View Post
Wooohoooo found the Photo Gallery link yesterday and actually found two pics of my son!!! One we can only see the side of his face and back of his head. The other one, the person in front of him, his head is blocking my sons face from the nose down lol. Oh well, better than nothing! Was a bright spot in our day to find those photos.

26 days and counting
Teri
Can you post the link and if that doesn't work can you PM it to me?? Please.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Private First Class

Ok if you go here: [url]http://www.jackson.army.mil/units/BCT.htm[/url] and look on left side of the page, scroll down to Photo Gallery and click on it. You will get a pop up photo album type viewer with about 100 or so photos.

From what I can tell these are not of any one company, just mixed. No names so you just have to scroll thru them all and see if you find who you are looking for.

Best of luck!!!
Teri

Old 02-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Corporal

did anyone get a call today? i did, unfortunately i didn't answer because instead of the caller ID being from south carolina, it said it was from florida. he called my phone three times [which should have been an indicator to me] and the last call he made he left a voice mail telling me to answer my phone. moral of the story: just answer your phone.

why would they be in florida though? that's one reason i didn't answer, was because i don't know anyone in florida so i thought it was a wrong number.

EDIT: ok, i talked to his mom, apparently he bought minutes on his old cell phone that he has with him so the number used on it is the florida number. i can't call it back but i sent a text and it said that my text was delivered to his voicemail so i guess we'll see what happens.

mud, sweat, and gears.

PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Last edited by 4jeepchick4; 02-22-2009 at 02:30 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Corporal

Default 3 weeks and no calls

I am pretty bitter. Sorry for you jeepchick, missing your call this week. It has been 3 weeks and still no calls for E company. The thing that ticks me off is that the soldies are not all teenage punks. Some soldiers have families, multiple children, wives that need some encouragement as well.
I know I am holding on... and I will... but I do not have to like it.
I know that you said they are preparing the family with all the hard a** crap, like no calls home and holding the mail and all the ridiculousness, but friends currently deployed do contact their families on a regular basis.
3 1/2 more weeks.....