armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 12-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Recruit

Default IRR MOB orders and PA National Guard

Hi all. I'm an E5 11B in the IRR and I recieved MOB orders in the mail about a week ago. I've previously done 2 tours in Iraq with 3rd Brig, 101st Airborne Div.

Does anybody have experience/knowledge dealing with IRR mobilization??

My orders are for the 56th SBCT of the Pennsylvania National Guard. From all the info I can gather on them via the internet they have been activated and training since september and are supposed to be boots on the ground in early January. My orders are to report to Ft. Benning on March 22.

I've been off active duty for about 2 years and have been going to school to become a nurse (yeah the timing stinks on my activation...). The orders are vague and I'm curious what to expect at Benning and with this PA Guard unit. It seems strange that I won't even be reporting to Benning until they've already been in country for a couple of months.

If anyone has any info on IRR MOB and/or the PA National Guard my family and I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

- Bill

Old 12-28-2008, 05:37 AM
Brigadier General

First off Bill thanks for your service, past, present & future. I'm sorry to hear your education will be disrupted.

I don't have any knowledge of IRR call-ups. I just know they happen. My son was worried about that when he left active duty from the 3rd Ranger Batt. He wound up joining a Reserve unit before his active time was up & he got a $10,000 bonus for a 3 year enlistment & a guarantee of not getting deployed for 2 years. That puts him at the end of his 8 year obligation & allows him to pursue an Associate Degree program in Criminal Justice. He's fortunate that he had a good Retention NCO & Reserve Recruiter that explained all of that to him.

Try to stay in touch so we know what happens & can pass this info on to others.

Good luck to you!
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:01 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Thanks

I know that alot of pa reserves are doing training in fort polk I am on my way there for jrtc not far from benning I guess they are a striker brigade I get to play op-4 to help them with scenarios thanks for your service

Old 12-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Recruit

Default I know how it is...

Hey man im in the same boat as you....i served with the first SBCT 3/2nd ID "Arrowhead" back in 03-04 and got stop lossed...Now i get mob with 7th sbct..56th SBCT and chances are i getting stop lossed once again because my MSO runs out within that same report date....god i love my experience in the Army always getting shafted..

Old 12-30-2008, 08:05 AM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to scconwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill187 View Post
Hi all. I'm an E5 11B in the IRR and I recieved MOB orders in the mail about a week ago. I've previously done 2 tours in Iraq with 3rd Brig, 101st Airborne Div.

Does anybody have experience/knowledge dealing with IRR mobilization??

My orders are for the 56th SBCT of the Pennsylvania National Guard. From all the info I can gather on them via the internet they have been activated and training since september and are supposed to be boots on the ground in early January. My orders are to report to Ft. Benning on March 22.

I've been off active duty for about 2 years and have been going to school to become a nurse (yeah the timing stinks on my activation...). The orders are vague and I'm curious what to expect at Benning and with this PA Guard unit. It seems strange that I won't even be reporting to Benning until they've already been in country for a couple of months.

If anyone has any info on IRR MOB and/or the PA National Guard my family and I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

- Bill
Here is a little pull your *** out of the fire attempt you can try. If they have not started Stop Loss then try and contract with a ROTC department.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Recruit

Thanks to everyone for the input. I've decided I'm going to put in for a delay and excemption to see if I can stay in school for as long as possible. From the research I've been doing it sounds like you can bury them with paperwork and delay them a good bit of time with appeals etc. I'm in no rush to drop out of school to sit in a guard tower so I'm just gonna roll the dice and hope that I can convince the board that I'm more useful to the army as a nurse then a 3rd tour as a grunt. A long shot I know...

Old 12-30-2008, 01:09 PM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to scconwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill187 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the input. I've decided I'm going to put in for a delay and excemption to see if I can stay in school for as long as possible. From the research I've been doing it sounds like you can bury them with paperwork and delay them a good bit of time with appeals etc. I'm in no rush to drop out of school to sit in a guard tower so I'm just gonna roll the dice and hope that I can convince the board that I'm more useful to the army as a nurse then a 3rd tour as a grunt. A long shot I know...
A guy in our ROTC BN from the Mississippi Naty Guard signed up for the Army ROTC nursing program. He contracted with us and now is not going so its a little way out. Also the Army is starving for nurses so you have a good chance. I strongly encourage you to look into this option as a back up. Just make sure you get all your stuff done before Stop Loss.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Private

Default i received mobilization order for the nevada national guard

i am in the same boat as you, i was an e5 and got out about two years ago. did a tour in iraq and i just received mobilization orders for the nevada national guard who deploys to afghanistan at the end of april. i have to report to benning april 5.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Recruit

Well, good luck to you. As it turns out I never had the heart to try and get a delay/excemption. I really don't wanna go, but I knew I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing that some other grunt got orders cuz I passed the buck onto him. Anyway, I report in a couple of days (march 22). Over the last couple of months I was never able to learn that much about what to expect when you report from online research. One thing I consistently heard though is that it's pretty common for your unit assignment to change once you're actually processed back in and "stamped" deployable. If I have the time and some internet access I'll try and write a post or two from Ft. Benning to let ya'll know what goes on.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Recruit

Ok fellas I just finished my first week at Fort Benning as an IRR recall so I figured I'd throw out some information so you can share it with your buddies. First off you're gonna be at D co. CRC here at benning. They are reserve drill sergeants from wisconson. Don't be alarmed when you roll up in the bus and you see that evil drill sergeant hat step on board and tell you to get off LOL they are actually pretty cool. My biggest suprise was how chill it is here. The cadre at CRC give everyone the respect they've earned and generally treat everyone like the combat vets that we all are. Which is probably good because most of us don't wanna be here. As along as you show up for formations and dont get into trouble with your drinking you won't have any problems with the cadre. If your MOS is 11b then you will be here for 3 or 4 weeks and then ship to a MOB site such as camp shelby in mississippi. The first week here stinks because it's all srp and you're constantly si waiting in line, but once you get through that first week it's all pretty sham. I wish i could do my whole 400 days here! As far as you're orders go forget about the unit assignment in them. Once you leave benning and go to one of the MOB site you will be assigned to a guard unit. The orders are just blanket orders to get everyone here. Your 400 days starts as soon as u sign in at benning.

Any other questions let me know.

- Bill