armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 AM
General of the Armies

Default H&k usp

Want to get your opinion on the H&K USP, its accuracy, reliability and overall opinion on the weapon.. have a looksee below on some wiki history on it...

When Heckler & Koch introduced the USP in 1993[2], it marked the first time HK chose to incorporate many traditional handgun design elements, such as those of John Browning's M1911, in one pistol.[3] Two principles guided its development the first being the use of molded polymer material, and the second being the creation of a "pistol paradigm".

Heckler & Koch observed the strong points of its previous successful pistols for insight in developing "the best" pistol. Previous HK pistol innovations include the unique squeeze ****ing mechanism of the Heckler & Koch P7, the precise roller-locked bolt of the Heckler & Koch P9S, and the double action-only system used by the VP70Z. In contrast to these ambitious designs, the USP uses a Browning linkless-locked breech action, similar to that developed by John Browning for use in the Browning P35 "Hi Power" pistol.[4][5] The pistol also features a safety which allows it to be safely carried "****ed and locked".

The USP was originally built around the .40 S&W cartridge[2], but a 9x19mm Parabellum was introduced at the same time. In May 1995, Heckler & Koch introduced a .45 ACP variant.[6] The USP Compact series was introduced in 1996[7] and is available in 9 mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, and, exclusively to the Compact model, .357 SIG. Other variants of the standard USP include the USP Tactical, USP Expert, USP Match, USP Elite and the standard sidearm of the German Armed Forces (Bundeswehr) - the P8.

One of the most significant features of the USP is the mechanical recoil reduction system. This system is incorporated into the recoil/buffer spring assembly, located below the barrel. Designed primarily to buffer the slide and barrel and reduce recoil effects on the pistol components, the system also lowers the recoil forces felt by the shooter. The USP recoil reduction system is insensitive to ammunition types and does not require adjustment or maintenance. It functions effectively in all USP models.[3] Using this same recoil reduction system, one of the related HK MK23 .45 ACP Special Operations Pistols fired more than 30,000 +P cartridges and 6,000 proof loads without damage to any major components. Abuse and function-testing of USPs have seen more than 24,000 rounds fired without a component failure.

Major metal components on both the USP and Special Operations Pistol are corrosion-resistant. Outside metal surfaces, such as the steel slide are protected by a proprietary "Hostile Environment" nitride finish.[3] Internal metal parts, such as springs, are coated with a Dow Corning anti-corrosion chemical to reduce friction and wear.[7][8]

The USP was developed alongside the Mk 23 Mod 0, a .45 ACP handgun designed by Heckler & Koch for the USSOCOM. The frame and slide of the USP45 are slightly larger than those found on the USP40 and USP9, much like the Mk 23. The prominent oversized trigger guard allows the use of gloves when firing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HKUSP.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	371  

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 11-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

The day I turn 21, I am getting a Concealed Carry license and I'll shell out for a USP Compact .45ACP. It is one of the best frames out there. My dad has two USPs. A full frame .45 and a compact .40 S&W. They're great to shoot and just have a good feel in your hands. It's my favorite handgun to shoot besides the Kimber we have.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Staff Sergeant

i own a USP .45 i love that gun when i get shipped to iraq im gonna carry an h&k usp 9mm instead of the piece of crap beretta thats standard issue

Old 11-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSD1986 View Post
i own a USP .45 i love that gun when i get shipped to iraq im gonna carry an h&k usp 9mm instead of the piece of crap beretta thats standard issue
That's alot of red tape to cut through...

Old 11-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Staff Sergeant

if there's a will there's a way well i'll at least attempt it the worst that could happen is they shoot the idea down. i just wish i had my class 3 license for firearms then i'd really be in debt i want a g36c . if u havent noticed i'm really bias of a lot of stuff thats not made by h&k

Old 11-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSD1986 View Post
if u havent noticed i'm really bias of a lot of stuff thats not made by h&k
hm... interesting... what do you think of our new standard [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_P99"]military sidearm[/URL] then?

edit....
[URL="http://tietokannat.mil.fi/kalustoesittely/media/1112159740_pist2003.JPG"]"Flashy" [/URL]
/edit

Old 11-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by torspo[fin] View Post
hm... interesting... what do you think of our new standard [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_P99"]military sidearm[/URL] then?

edit....
[URL="http://tietokannat.mil.fi/kalustoesittely/media/1112159740_pist2003.JPG"]"Flashy" [/URL]
/edit
There's just something about Polymer Frame sidearms in combat that makes me wonder...

I guess they just don't strike me as combat-capable.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperAlpha1 View Post
There's just something about Polymer Frame sidearms in combat that makes me wonder...

I guess they just don't strike me as combat-capable.
yep.. count me in... if parts of em are from china..

lucky for us we still have the [URL="http://tietokannat.mil.fi/kalustoesittely/media/1083751048_08.9.00_PIST_80_91.jpg"]FN HP[/URL] in our inventory.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Staff Sergeant

hmm i like the look of the walthers but dont like the trigger just feels brittle to me but beyond that i would take it before i took the m9/beretta 92 anyday

Old 11-05-2008, 04:25 AM
Brigadier General

I dont know much about the H&K....there must be good reasons why the Irish and replacing the good old Browning with the H&K USP....but for me I like the tried and test Hi-Power

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power[/url]
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر