armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 04-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Corporal

Default Camp Casey

So without saying too much about deployment, can anyone give info on Camp Casey? Chances of going to Iraq from there? Should I be worried about the "nightlife"?

Old 04-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Corporal

Anybody? Ideas?

Old 05-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Brigadier General

It's a well-known fact that Camp Casey is in S. Korea so I'm not breaking OPSEC.. I doubt very much he'll deploy to a combat area from there. After his tour & after he's back to his home station for a while might be a different matter, though.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Corporal

Yeah I think he really lucked out, well its not luck, there has been alot of praying going on. I did find out that he might be able to extend his tour there to 3 years which would be most of his requirement. Supposedly it is a pretty good place to go, his recruiter said its a WEstern vacation spot but that means there is alot of wild nightlife. Which my son will like but his wife and his mom(me) wont' like one bit. I can't seem to find out if his wife will be able to accompany him or not?

Old 01-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Recruit

Default I don't know about now....

I was there at Camp Casey from 1979-1983 (I kept extending my tour) At that time the 2nd Infantry Div was there, now it is to my understanding, that it's no longer there. It used to be a "Hardship tour" and after completing a hardship tour, you must go back stateside for a tour before deploying, unless you apply for an "Inter Theater" transfer, which is totally you option. Like I said, this was the case back in 1979

Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckymom View Post
Yeah I think he really lucked out, well its not luck, there has been alot of praying going on. I did find out that he might be able to extend his tour there to 3 years which would be most of his requirement. Supposedly it is a pretty good place to go, his recruiter said its a WEstern vacation spot but that means there is alot of wild nightlife. Which my son will like but his wife and his mom(me) wont' like one bit. I can't seem to find out if his wife will be able to accompany him or not?
He will have to apply for Command Sponsorship to have his wife move there with him. He can go see his commander and his S1 shop to apply for it. If he gets approve he could be there 2-3 years depending on the option he takes.

Koreans like their nightlife and it can be pretty exciting for a young Soldier.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:56 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrbch47 View Post
I was there at Camp Casey from 1979-1983 (I kept extending my tour) At that time the 2nd Infantry Div was there, now it is to my understanding, that it's no longer there. It used to be a "Hardship tour" and after completing a hardship tour, you must go back stateside for a tour before deploying, unless you apply for an "Inter Theater" transfer, which is totally you option. Like I said, this was the case back in 1979

REALLY? He may get to come stateside again? My son is there now. He said it's still considered hardship (well, he does get hardship pay for being there so I can only assume). I am hoping to hear from my son tonight or tomorrow (.. I've been leaving my cell phone on now at night) to get his mailing information.. no word since the early week.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCa Army Mom View Post

REALLY? He may get to come stateside again? My son is there now. He said it's still considered hardship (well, he does get hardship pay for being there so I can only assume). I am hoping to hear from my son tonight or tomorrow (.. I've been leaving my cell phone on now at night) to get his mailing information.. no word since the early week.
Korea is still considered a hardship tour. A Korea tour is typically a 12 month tour unless the Soldier extends or gets command sponsored to bring his family over there. After his 12 months are up he would typically come stateside unless he requested to go elsewhere overseas like Germany.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armygirl4Ever View Post
Korea is still considered a hardship tour. A Korea tour is typically a 12 month tour unless the Soldier extends or gets command sponsored to bring his family over there. After his 12 months are up he would typically come stateside unless he requested to go elsewhere overseas like Germany.

His tour there will be there 16 months, why I don't know but that's what his orders state. His hope is to go to Germany next, but it would be nice to have him stateside (a Mom's wish, hm? ). He's young.. I hope he takes advantage of seeing his world.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Captain

Sometimes the Army adjusts assignments based on need. I was stationed in Korea for 2 1/2 years and loved it, hope your son gets to experience the beauty of the country.