armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Private First Class

Pardon my noobish question...but what determines where you do your BCT? I thought BCT was only at Bragg? Or are the other training centers you're referring to for AIT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_305 View Post
I haven't disagreed with you.. but in regards to say, yourself compared to an 11b, they have far more intensive training. That's a fact.
And in certain ways, he is better than you. Well, not "better" so to speak, but he knows how to do his job, and you know how to do yours.
I wouldn't want someone in the telcom shack to go out into a firefight or to plan an ambush.. that's not their strong point. You know what I'm sayin'?
That might be generally true, but not at all is that an absolute.

When I sign, I am not going to be a grunt...but I know darn well I can already handle a fire arm as well (if not better), and I am physically stronger than many of them. I know that I would LIKE to have a person like myself next to me if the ish hits the fan!

I'm just saying...you know what they say about making ASSumptions!

You're talking about things they've learned over WEEKS of training...but what about people who chose other MOS' who spent YEARS shooting, or hiking, or personal training, or fighting, or orienteering as a hobby?

Compared to an 11B who maybe never ran a mile, or been camping, or touched a gun before BCT? You never know a person's background BEFORE BCT/AIT, and that's something that could potentially come in handy!
AIT - Redstone Arsenal, AL - 20090810

Last edited by L8 APEKS; 04-01-2009 at 03:52 PM..

Old 04-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Private

well im going to ft jackson april 21st, and now im worry because i think that in order for you to be a good soldier you need a good trainning not matter if it is tough. you dont know what is going to happen and when you will need to go to a war zone. i think the tougher the trainning the better soldier you will be. im very sad an angry. im a girl and cant do infantry to bad. those are the good soldiers.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:58 AM
Corporal

Default have no worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhunny View Post
well im going to ft jackson april 21st, and now im worry because i think that in order for you to be a good soldier you need a good trainning not matter if it is tough. you dont know what is going to happen and when you will need to go to a war zone. i think the tougher the trainning the better soldier you will be. im very sad an angry. im a girl and cant do infantry to bad. those are the good soldiers.
Okay, Ft. jackson is not relaxing. You will get plenty of training and very very little rest. You will come out of it tough. Whether you are a girl or not, then they will train you for Combat Readiness. Ft. Jackson is now 10 weeks plus 1 week or so for adj. unit. And they have extended the training. If you desire to be a good soldier than that you will be.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Recruit

Don't believe the hype. The training that you'll receive at Fort Jackson is some of the best in the Army. When you are done with basic training you'll stronger, leaner, and meaner than you are now and will be well trained in the basic skills required to fight and win in combat. You will live like a soldier, think like a soldier and fight like a soldier because you'll be a soldier.

You also need to remember that the infantry soldiers can't do their jobs without the support of every single soldier that graduates from Fort Jackson.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Private First Class

Smile

I have wondered this too! My husbands recruiter made that comment(no sure if hear say or personal experience) But from my understand all basics are getting a little bit more relaxed then others my husband went in straight out of high school and had normal basic well he served his time and got out and just went back in and he said basic is more of a vacation now they are allowed cell phones and ipods etc.... I was worried because I knew the first time I didn't get a call for a couple of weeks but pssst this time he got to keep his cell! so maybe Jackson was one of the first to adopt the "nicer Army" but I think every base has its nickname!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:06 PM
Private

Default about the phones

Im having a hard time believing that the ds's allow the privats to have their cell phones pls someone comfirm that for me. I went to fort knox and got med discharged but im going back in late this yr. Fort knox was hell on earth i was pushed to the absolute limit. Sometimes i didnt recognize my own thoughts. Thats how screwed up they made me a knox. But anyway would someone just pls comfirm the cell phone rumor to me oh and if u go to basic at jackson and christmas is while ur training do they let u go home for christmas? Someone pls answer these 2 questions i have. And if u r a future soldier waiting to go to basic, if ur going to knox..... Good luck lol.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin8685 View Post
Im having a hard time believing that the ds's allow the privats to have their cell phones pls someone comfirm that for me. I went to fort knox and got med discharged but im going back in late this yr. Fort knox was hell on earth i was pushed to the absolute limit. Sometimes i didnt recognize my own thoughts. Thats how screwed up they made me a knox. But anyway would someone just pls comfirm the cell phone rumor to me oh and if u go to basic at jackson and christmas is while ur training do they let u go home for christmas? Someone pls answer these 2 questions i have. And if u r a future soldier waiting to go to basic, if ur going to knox..... Good luck lol.
The cell phone thing is true. I just got done talking to my boyfriend. He's in basic at Jackson and they get to use their phones very minimally, and they've gotta turn them back in to the ds's after their 3 or 4 minutes are up, but yea, they do get to use them. He had from 7pm yesterday until 4pm today to use his b/c they scored so highly on some kind of shooting they were doing.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Private

Having their cell phones is a variable depending on their DSs. The only time my son got to use his was Mother's Day for 3 minutes (and a DS was counting down in the background). My 'future son' gets his every Sunday for about 15 minutes, unless someone in his unit screws up bad.

I know several kids that went through Ft Jackson last summer, and it was not relaxing. Did they have as hard of training as an 11X, no. But they still had very good training.

Quote:
Compared to an 11B who maybe never ran a mile, or been camping, or touched a gun before BCT? You never know a person's background BEFORE BCT/AIT, and that's something that could potentially come in handy
!

If they've never run a mile before OSUT for 11X, I think they'd have a hard time. Have you ever looked at the graduation requirements for the 198th? [URL="https://www.benning.army.mil/198th/content/TraineeOrientation/GraduationRequirements.htm"]https://www.benning.army.mil/198th/content/TraineeOrientation/GraduationRequirements.htm[/URL]