armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Old 10-04-2005, 04:14 AM
Corporal

Default Ancient History

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackAttack23693
Lee took the south b/c he was born and raised down there. I mean its not his fault his own soldiers killed him
Even though he wasnt really a leader, Audie Murphy was pretty brave guy in WWII even though i didnt really like his movies
Yes we all know Lee was a true Southern gentleman. However, because he was, he ended up on the losing side - not an ideal outcome for any General.

Old 10-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Sergeant First Class

Alexander the Great without any doubt whatsoever.

And just to correct the Iceni thing - she was actually defeated very heavily by the main body of the Roman Army somewhere in the midlands after sacking Colchester and London. She wasn't a particulary good leader as it was pretty obviously a trap, the Briton tribes had done as much damage as they had to the Romans because they attacked where the Romans were weakest, avoided engaging organised Roman military units and held the initive. As soon as they attempted to play the Romans at their own game - set piece battles - the superior training and discipline of the Roman Legions destroyed them.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisy
Alexander the Great without any doubt whatsoever.

And just to correct the Iceni thing - she was actually defeated very heavily by the main body of the Roman Army somewhere in the midlands after sacking Colchester and London. She wasn't a particulary good leader as it was pretty obviously a trap, the Briton tribes had done as much damage as they had to the Romans because they attacked where the Romans were weakest, avoided engaging organised Roman military units and held the initive. As soon as they attempted to play the Romans at their own game - set piece battles - the superior training and discipline of the Roman Legions destroyed them.
Thanks for pissing on my strawberries there Phisy!!!

What i was refering too,was the first attempt Rome made of taking 'Briton',which seriously underestimated the strength and ferosity of the Celts.Of a 10,000 strong force,only around 3,500 made it back to the boats.

Roman soldiers letter to family-52 BC.

"what cursed land is this Briton,its people like animals,blue painted demons"

Old 10-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S.Warrior

Kick ***. Thats a cool quote.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Second Lieutenant

To SAS warrior - wrong. the quote:

is talking about the scottish, not the rest of britain. The Scottish warriors used to paint themselves blue (blue is the scottish national colour) and run stark naked into battle. The romans were so terrified of them that they built a number of walls across the border to keep them away.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Corporal

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer." Not bad going for a guy under 35.

Old 10-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Staff Sergeant

I think the greatest war leader is an Australian general by the name of John Monash, if Ozzi-Solja is listening he may know more about him. Monash was an incredibly brilliant commander and a great leader with a lot of charisma. He lead his soldiers to many stunning victories over the Germans in WW1. The division under his command, the Anzacs, were feared and respected by the other armies, even the Germans dreaded to go up against them. He is often overlooked becaused his superiors were idiots, causing the great things he did to be overshadowed by the stupid things they made him do.

His leadership was so great many of his soldiers were inspired to commit tremendous acts of bravery such as charging several machine gun emplacements. His soldiers may be the reason why it is so hard to get a VC medal nowadays.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Staff Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by js_mac
To SAS warrior - wrong. the quote:

is talking about the scottish, not the rest of britain. The Scottish warriors used to paint themselves blue (blue is the scottish national colour) and run stark naked into battle. The romans were so terrified of them that they built a number of walls across the border to keep them away.
But their were no 'scottish' in 52BC,or Scotland or England or wales or Ireland for that matter!
In fact pre-Roman Britain was the only time the people of this land were one,and even then inter-tribal war split the country in two.

The 'Woad' worriors of Celtic Briton were most famous for painting themselves blue and this tradition past down into Scottish traditions like you mentioned.The Romans couldnt hack fighting the Celts in the highlands,hence the birth of Celtic Pictland and Wales.
The Scots actually originate from the northern regions of Ireland but took up residence in western Pictland after the Picts were vertually wiped out by the Norsemen,hence the birth of Scotland and Haidrians wall etc etc.

God im starting to sound like my grandfather!

Old 10-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S.Warrior
Thanks for pissing on my strawberries there Phisy!!!

What i was refering too,was the first attempt Rome made of taking 'Briton',which seriously underestimated the strength and ferosity of the Celts.Of a 10,000 strong force,only around 3,500 made it back to the boats.

Roman soldiers letter to family-52 BC.

dont know much about those wars w/ briton and rome but i do know i had alot of celtic ancestors. I wonder if they fought in ne of them?

Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Sergeant First Class

The entire fable of the "Celts" is a nice little romantic story dreamt up by the Victorians in order to promote tourism - even the Kilt - which was infact invented by an Englishman

I doubt if anyone truely has any Briton ancestory (in my opinion a far more accurate term than celt) - the Britions were so decimated and cross-bred with Roman citizens from all over the empire, and then sucessive invasions by the various germanic tribes that barely an identifiable trace of them exsists.

I know for a fact that my ancestory is Saxon - as is the vast majority of those who live on the east coast and north of the British Isles; previously Danelaw - your average Scot is about as "Celt" as I am!!