armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > National Guard
User Name
Password

Old 04-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Recruit

Default My Son

Hi My son is considering the National Guard and Im not sure if he will be asking the right questions before he signs. Will it be inappropiate if his father goes with him before he signs anything? What do we need to know about the guard? Also, he wants to go back to college, does there need to be something in writing to guarrantee this? Thank for any replys!~!

Old 04-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Brigadier General

His parents are allowed to be with him when the Recruiter comes by. That's the time to ask a lot of questions. They won't be allowed to be with him at MEPS whaen he sees the Counselor, though. If he has any doubts about the contract he is under no obligation to sign anything until he thinks it over.

This is a good time for your son to start researching which MOS he'd like to be. Unlike the Regular Army he'll be limited to whatever MOSs the Guard unit can use & needs. That's something to ask the Recruiter. He might want to talk to an Army Reserve Recruiter. The National Guard has their own Recruiters separate from Regular Army & Army Reserve. If he starts talking to a Regular Army Recruiter about the Reserves & then decides to go into the National Guard they'll pass him on to a Guard Recruiter.

The major difference between the Guard & Reserve - both Reserve Components of the US Army - is that the Governor of your state can call the Guard to active duty in case of emergencies like floods & other disasters. The Guard can also be mobilized by the Federal Govt. for duty in Iraq & Afghanistan.

He can continue college while in any Reserve Component but if he's activated he'll have to interupt his education. There are some education assistance programs available to help with tuition. My son was Regular Army & when he got out last year he had $50,000 that's paid towards his education & $1300 a month paiud as a stipend while he's in school.

Your son will have to get with a Recruiter to find out exactly what's available.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:52 PM
Private First Class

I would also recommend looking at Army Reserve.
AIT - Redstone Arsenal, AL - 20090810

Old 05-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Private First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to airbornerangerson

yeah probably will have to have it in writing

Old 05-25-2009, 05:32 AM
Brigadier General

This thread is almost a month & a half old. I guess marymmv doesn't need our advice. Haven't heard from her since. That happens all too often where some new member posts a lot of questions. One or more of us answer in great detail & that's the last of them on this site. No way of telling if they even read it.

Thanks for wasting our time.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.