armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Mobilization & Deployment
User Name
Password

Old 10-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Recruit

Question Anyone ever pull this off?

Hello!

My fiance and I are trying to get married before he officially deploys on JAN 2nd... he is currently mobilized (actually in the field for the next week + so he can't even figure any of this out for us right now with JAG/Admin etc) and will be home for roughly 10 days, DEC 23rd - JAN 1st and we are trying and hoping to get married on DEC 26th.

However we don't know if we will be able to get the required paperwork filed and completed in time especially since we have to deal with the holiday schedule for the admin. offices etc.

Anyone ever successfully pull a pre-deployment wedding off/required documentation completed in 10 days!? During the holiday season!?

HELP!! PLEASE!!

Old 10-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Sergeant

Marriage laws differ by state and sometimes county. You'd do well to check into the requirements where you live before he gets home and get your own part of it squared away.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:05 PM
Private

You can get it done, not everyone goes on leave during the holidays, just mostly everyone. S1 will be there working a skeleton crew and you should be able to hit up DEERS.
You may have to go to an active army post to do get everything done but I'm sure so long as he lets someone know ahead of time they can work something out.

If he's only in the field for the next week than why don't you work it out so that you can get married prior to than? All it takes is an order from the court and a notary, maybe during the 10 days you can plan your actual ceremony.
Nothing sucks more than having to rush paperwork when you should be enjoying each others company before he leaves.
Good luck

Old 11-12-2008, 11:30 AM
Second Lieutenant

How is it they can have leave up to the day before they deploy? My son deployed shortly after Thanksgiving last year and was not allowed to go anywhere. He missed block leave because he arrived at his new unit after everyone else had returned. He did not get any leave between OSUT and the time he deployed.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Private

He should have had 10 days after he got out of OSUT for transition and stuff. Did he waive his leave or report in early?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmortum View Post
He should have had 10 days after he got out of OSUT for transition and stuff. Did he waive his leave or report in early?
I am not sure. All I know is that he went straight from OSUT to Ft Lewis, tried to get a short leave, was denied and was deployed around Dec. 1st. It may have made some difference that the unit he was sent to was already gone and he was meeting up with them. We were upset at the time, but that's water under the bridge. He is back stateside already and spent 2 weeks at home this summer. I just didn't think they would give leave so close to a deployment.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Staff Sergeant

Well i dont know if she pulled it off or not be we did.

My daughter and her now hubby, he came home on leave on the 21th of December and were married on the 26th and all of their paper work was completed two days later. He came in from Ak ad in to Georgia got married left on the 27th for Texas and finished their paper work there while seeing my son home from Iraq for the birth of his daughter. Then he left to go back to AK on the 3rd of Jan.

Man what a two weeks that was.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Sergeant First Class

Default Been there< done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureHOOAHwife View Post
Hello!

My fiance and I are trying to get married before he officially deploys on JAN 2nd... he is currently mobilized (actually in the field for the next week + so he can't even figure any of this out for us right now with JAG/Admin etc) and will be home for roughly 10 days, DEC 23rd - JAN 1st and we are trying and hoping to get married on DEC 26th.

However we don't know if we will be able to get the required paperwork filed and completed in time especially since we have to deal with the holiday schedule for the admin. offices etc.

Anyone ever successfully pull a pre-deployment wedding off/required documentation completed in 10 days!? During the holiday season!?

HELP!! PLEASE!!

JUSTICE OF THE PEACE 35 Dollars or so and 30 minutes later the deed is done. It may depend on your State but I was married in Texas in 1983 that way. We had a regular church wedding three months later and have been married for 24 years. Best 35 dollars I ever spent!