armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 05-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Private

Default 88M at Fort Leonard Wood graduation questions

Hello! My husband is doing his AIT for 88M at Fort Leonard Wood. He should be graduating June 12th. I'm looking for anyone who has experience with this... but when I went to his graduation from BCT it was like pulling teeth to get information! Seriously... I never got a graduation packet like I was told I was going to, no one in his units command could give me a straight answer about a family day the day before (more than once I was told there was none, but low and behold a week before hand they told my husband that from 1 - 7 that day they could be with their families)... it wasn't fun.
I'm hoping this unit will be better, but can anyone tell me if this graduation will be like the first? Are there usually Family Days when you graduate from AIT as well? Will he be able to leave right after the ceremony (he's Army Reserves, so he'll be coming back home) or stay for some kind of out processing?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Sergeant

My husband's an 88m and will be graduating from Ft. Leonard Wood this Friday. From what I know there is no family day. AIT is very different from BCT so after training each day they are usually given an on base pass. So if you intended on seeing your soldier before graduation, it shouldn't be a problem, that is if everyone in the company behaves and doesn't get into trouble. This last weekend they were given an overnight pass. AIT is more flexible and lenient than BCT. According to my husband once they graduate they are free to leave.

I am not attending his graduation (my husband's request), but when my husband comes home this Friday I'll ask him about graduation so I can give you more detailed information. But I can almost gaurantee you it will be nothing like BCT graduation.

Here's the link, if you don't already have it, to their battalion at Ft. LW

[url]http://www.wood.army.mil/58th/[/url]

Old 05-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Private

Thank you so much! I really appreciate advice from someone who's been there... thank you for offering to let me know what the graduation is like, I will take you up on that if you don't mind! Did the army send you any information about your husbands graduation, or do they just let the soldiers know so they can pass long the time/place to their families?

Thanks again!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Sergeant

Unlike BCT graduation, I didn't get any info for AIT graduation other than what my husband told me. I will definitely get you info for graduation when my husband comes back

Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Sergeant

Ok, so here's the info I got...the day before graduation the soldiers received a pass after graduation practice to do as they please on base. So, this is the time your soldier can spend time with his family. After, graduation, which was about a half hour they were released, except that there was a tornado watch so they had to wait for about an hour. From what my huband tells me, not that many families go. Only a few families attended the ceremony.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions

Old 05-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Private

Default Thank you!

....so much for the information =) I think I only have one question left... I'm assuming that his graduation practice was in the morning so their free time started in the late morning/early afternoon?

Thank you again, you've been a big help. Everyone said it was unusual, but I really had very little to go on when it came to his graduation from basic!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Sergeant

Actually it was in the afternoon. I think they got released around 4 or 5ish. Only plan to spend a few hours with them. They had to report back by 8 pm. But each Company is different. My husband's was B co and I think your husband's is A co so there might be some slight differences.