armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > National Guard
User Name
Password

Old 04-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Private First Class

Default Differences between Guard and Active Duty: Bonues and Benefits?

I am torn.

If I get a job in the next few weeks, I will do CA Natl Guard.

If I still cannot find a job, I will likely go Active.

I am wondering...what are the differences in school money, bonus pay, and benefits/perks (health ins, etc) between Guard and Army Active?

I will ONLY enlist if I get a good bonus. Army was offering $18,000 for the 3/5 option 68W. Would Guard have any similar bonuses?
AIT - Redstone Arsenal, AL - 20090810

Old 04-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Brigadier General

Bonuses come & go, Sean. Some Guard units have them & some don't.

All schools are the same for Regular Army, Reserve & Guard. You might be limited in MOS choices in the Reserve Components of the Army, however. It all depends on which MOSs are used in a particular unit & availability of slots. If the unit has no MPs for instance you woudn't be able to enlist in that unit as an MP. Reserve Components might have schools that the Regular Army doesn't that apply specifically to Reservists & Guardsmen.

You would go to BCT & AIT or OSUT along with everyone else regardless what component you're in. After your training you would be assigned to the Guard unit you enlisted for. Reservists would do the same thing. Active Army soldiers would go to Active Army units.

When in a Guard unit as a drilling Guardsman you would be paid 4 days of base pay for a weekend drill. Drills are comprised of one day of pay for a 4 hour block of time so a weekend is considered 4 drills. You would attend 2 weeks of annual training each year. Your pay would be the same for an Active Army soldier for the same period of time.

Advanced schooling is available for Reserve Component soldiers. Some is mandatory like NCO courses & some are voluntary. You can apply for schools in which the unit could use your additional skills after completion. It's up to the unit to determine whether it's a necessity & whether they have the funding to pay for it. Some of the schools that you might be able to apply for are Long Range Surveillance , Airborne School, Reserve Component Recruiting/Retention schools & others if the Guard unit has need for them.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Sergeant First Class

Sometimes, its not about the bonuses. If you can get a good MOS and duty location that might be worth more than a bonus. Again, do you homework and talk to more than one recruiter to see if the information is on the same page. I came back on active duty and it has worked oout fine; especially with the current state of the economy. I also working on my master's online so you can make time for studies as well.