armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Military Hardware, Gear and Technology
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #11  
Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 AM
Prime Prime is offline
Private
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Default

Thanks a lot, yeah that highlights some other things i'll need to think about.
... actually that's all i can think of to say about that at this point.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 03-23-2009, 12:17 PM
torspo[fin]'s Avatar
torspo[fin] torspo[fin] is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Finland
Posts: 2,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I understand that sights are changleable but these type of sights usually fit onto some sort of railing or otherwise, each weapon will also have it's backup sights, the ones that are "built into" the weapon, it's those that i'm asking about up there ^^^

What im after is just some first hand experience information on the uses of a weapon in an attempt to design a concept for a more beneficial system in some way. Make it less Fiddly, make it more comfortable... we're doing a project on interface design, so that's it in one sentence:

Trying to improve the interface of weapons

This idea that "oh well, it's just trained out" highlights the exact issues i'll need to think about because my answer would be "why do they have to be?" wouldn't it just be easier if there was a system that required as little of that as possible?
I'm not necessarily talking about more automation, but, for example, why doesn't the mag release itself when it's empty? - not "eject" - just release. Well i guess the simple answer is because the weapon doesnt really "know" when the clip is empty... so what if it did? Things like that.
yep well this sounds like your trying to do a "mac" out of a "pc"... or something in those lines.
quite frankly I beleve that the current handheld weapons in general are nearing the last line
of perfection. the basic mechanism will be there for decades to come topped with
certain changes in the bullet and targeting. I do have some ideas how thease will
evolve. but i'm not exactly keen to post them here. but its clear that the targeting
will get better via more integrated cheap computing power.

the thing about thease things especially with your comment about the selfreleasing clip...
now this is designer talk at its first stage... quite pure... really i havent really came
this close of this kind of mind flow before. yep. not bad idea exept: (put everything here)
when you peel it enough the end result might just be something ground braking.
or just something which has already been done in the 1940's

you know we had somebody here in finland who was quite in the same wavelenghts
with you.. make a search for "Jali Timari"...
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 03-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Prime Prime is offline
Private
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6
Default

Okay well, as far as "this is a university project on interface" goes i dont see anything wrong with taking this sort of approach. As you say, the fact of the matter is as it gets refined and stuff there might only be minimal changes, but no one's ever going to leap light years ahead in a term's worth of project.
Im just looking for some info so i can think about alternatives.
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 04-04-2009, 05:53 AM
Grunt Medic TXARNG's Avatar
Grunt Medic TXARNG Grunt Medic TXARNG is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 45
Default

It is interesting to note that, with the patent long expired Microtech Small Arms, an American Company, is making a product improved variation of the AUG. See [url]http://www.msarinc.com/stg556.html[/url] for details and pics.

I don't have a major problem doing reloads on bullpups - my biggest gripe is the lousy trigger on every one of them I've handled. I'm interested in Kel-Rec's RFB - Rifle, Forward Ejection, Bullpup - which claims to address this issue, not to mention being chambered for the much more powerful 7.62x51mm NATO round. See [url]http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/downloads/RFB_Flyer_SHOT_2007_web.pdf[/url] for details on this design.

And good luck with your project! Now if you could just design me a small, lightweight blaster, with a working lightsaber as backup...
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 04-04-2009, 06:17 AM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt Medic TXARNG View Post

And good luck with your project! Now if you could just design me a small, lightweight blaster, with a working lightsaber as backup...
My grandson has several. Would you like to rent them?
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 04-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Exo1's Avatar
Exo1 Exo1 is offline
General of the Armies
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland (Ex Irish Army)
Posts: 10,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt Medic TXARNG View Post
It is interesting to note that, with the patent long expired Microtech Small Arms, an American Company, is making a product improved variation of the AUG. See [url]http://www.msarinc.com/stg556.html[/url] for details and pics.

I don't have a major problem doing reloads on bullpups - my biggest gripe is the lousy trigger on every one of them I've handled. I'm interested in Kel-Rec's RFB - Rifle, Forward Ejection, Bullpup - which claims to address this issue, not to mention being chambered for the much more powerful 7.62x51mm NATO round. See [url]http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/images/downloads/RFB_Flyer_SHOT_2007_web.pdf[/url] for details on this design.

And good luck with your project! Now if you could just design me a small, lightweight blaster, with a working lightsaber as backup...
Cool... Biggest issues I could think about the AUG was its clumsy sighting and poor Emergency Iron sighting... Haha.. that had "illumunus" dots on the tips... great eh.. Anyway, AUG's Zeroing was also an issue as a regular soldier... Thats being harsh on the critizm of the weapon, cos overall, it was a sturdy, accurate, reliable and easily handled weapon... Im sure they will give more flexibility to the soldier for the right price of course...
__________________
"Barrel High, Powder Dry!"

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 04-04-2009, 09:09 PM
jrj1000's Avatar
jrj1000 jrj1000 is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Living the dream!!!
Posts: 2,815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo1 View Post
Cool... Biggest issues I could think about the AUG was its clumsy sighting and poor Emergency Iron sighting... Haha.. that had "illumunus" dots on the tips... great eh.. Anyway, AUG's Zeroing was also an issue as a regular soldier... Thats being harsh on the critizm of the weapon, cos overall, it was a sturdy, accurate, reliable and easily handled weapon... Im sure they will give more flexibility to the soldier for the right price of course...
Are you going to invite to the wedding?
__________________
Some People say the most important thing
a fighter can have is heart.
show me a fighter who's nothing but heart,
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:01 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. Armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.