armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 03-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Recruit

Default Need info about Fort Bliss

Husband just recieved orders for Fort Bliss as a permanent duty station. We dont know why, or how....He is a Tanker, we would have thought he would have gotten Fort Hood. No go..and there isnt much information out there about Fort Bliss, could i get some help please?? Is this a place I am going to want to follow him too with my 8yr old and 15 yr old??

Old 03-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by odawa.jenn1 View Post
Husband just recieved orders for Fort Bliss as a permanent duty station. We dont know why, or how....He is a Tanker, we would have thought he would have gotten Fort Hood. No go..and there isnt much information out there about Fort Bliss, could i get some help please?? Is this a place I am going to want to follow him too with my 8yr old and 15 yr old??
Check out [url]www.bliss.army.mil[/url]

We recently reflagged a lot of units here at Hood with units at Bliss so it's not surprising that he's going there.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Recruit

Default Been to the Ft.Bliss websites

I have been to the ft. bliss websites, but knowing that I am going to have to live off base, that doesn't tell me what the good sides of town are...where I should avoid. Where are the good schools..etc. I'm relocating from Northern MI to Ft. Bliss and unfortunately everything I look at is having to be online, some houses look nice, but looks can be deceiving. I need El Paso help and guidance

Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Ft bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by odawa.jenn1 View Post
I have been to the ft. bliss websites, but knowing that I am going to have to live off base, that doesn't tell me what the good sides of town are...where I should avoid. Where are the good schools..etc. I'm relocating from Northern MI to Ft. Bliss and unfortunately everything I look at is having to be online, some houses look nice, but looks can be deceiving. I need El Paso help and guidance

My understanding is that the 3rd ACR is leaving Ft. Carson and heading back to Bliss. I was stationed at Bliss with the thundering 3rd in 1985-1986. I loved it there. I really liked the desert lifestyle and enjoyed the Latino flair there. I am originally from Houston Tx. but it is still over 900 miles away from Bliss. Didnt go home much but aleways had a great time there in El Paso. I met my wife there(also a Soldier at the time) and we got married at the main post chapel. All that being said, with all the trouble in Mexico right now I probably would stay away from Juarez. Every duty station is what you make of it. The housing at Bliss looked nice(didnt live in housing) I rented an apartment right across the street from the military hospital there. Cost of living is relativly inexpensive and unlike alot of community's El Paso doesnt resemble a GI town. Like I said I loved it then but I am not sure about what it is like now. GOOD LUCK!!

Old 03-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
My understanding is that the 3rd ACR is leaving Ft. Carson and heading back to Bliss. I was stationed at Bliss with the thundering 3rd in 1985-1986. I loved it there. I really liked the desert lifestyle and enjoyed the Latino flair there. I am originally from Houston Tx. but it is still over 900 miles away from Bliss. Didnt go home much but aleways had a great time there in El Paso. I met my wife there(also a Soldier at the time) and we got married at the main post chapel. All that being said, with all the trouble in Mexico right now I probably would stay away from Juarez. Every duty station is what you make of it. The housing at Bliss looked nice(didnt live in housing) I rented an apartment right across the street from the military hospital there. Cost of living is relativly inexpensive and unlike alot of community's El Paso doesnt resemble a GI town. Like I said I loved it then but I am not sure about what it is like now. GOOD LUCK!!
3rd ACR is actually at Fort Hood now, they made that move well over a year ago.

I have some friends who are at Bliss who really enjoy it. You can call the Housing office and request a list of housing areas, they will know what is good and what isn't.