armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > The Lounge
User Name
Password

Old 04-27-2009, 04:11 PM
First Lieutenant

Default Swine Flu

So, I know its probably a pretty serious disease to have. But why is the media blowing it up as this global epidemic when only 70 caes of it have been confirmed world wide?

I mean, is it really something to panic about or is the media just desperate for a scary story to tell?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Second Lieutenant

I think they're just looking for a scary story. I don't really like t.v. but my uncle was telling me about it..

Old 04-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Sergeant

from an article i read on msn earlier:

"No deaths have been reported in the U.S, and only one hospitalization."

But that was from earlier this morning, and it looks like it says phase 4 now.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:44 PM
Brigadier General

They keep telling us not to panic but then they go ahead & report things that have the ability to panic even the unpanicable of us.

What I've surmised is the swine flu can spread very easily & since the weather is warmer now we can't rely on sub-freezing temps to knock it out.

My daughter is a bit scared. She works as a special ed teacher & her son has juvenlie diabetes. The flu can really affect those with any type of diseases. She was told that my grandson would probably have to be hospitalzed if he caught it. He takes insulin to counter the carbohydrates he takes in with his food. If he were to vomit that food up he'd still have insulin in his blood that would neutralize the remaining sugar he'd have left & would probably go into shock with low blood sugar. He's supposed to have a sugar count of between 80 & 150. When he gets down to 60 he gets real groggy & even a just little bit lower than that he almost passes out. He'd definitely have to be put on an IV.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 PM
First Lieutenant

Sheesh, well lets hope it gets nowhere near your grandson!

And also, isn't telling someone not to panic, sort of reverse psychology? Same thing as when someone says, "Don't look down".

Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

I;m personally looking forward to the zombie apocalypse.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Private First Class

get out the panice button... no just kidding...

yeah, im sure its something to think about just along with everything else that is going on in the world.. next....

Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 AM
First Lieutenant

The statistics make me laugh.

Something like 37,000 people died of the regular Flu last year. The Swine Flu, or H1N1 as we are now supposed to call it, has killed about 100 and it is already being declared a global pandemic.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Second Lieutenant

"A man once said that pigs would fly before America elected a black president.. well 100 days into Obama's presidency, the swine flu."

My dad thought that joke was funny.. 0.o

Anyway, the swine flu is a ****ing joke. It's just like any other flu, people are ridiculous.

You're more likely to die of the measles, so I don't understand why people live in fear over NOTHING.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to lilyOhio

people die from the flu every year. this is just a new type of flu. people are freaking out about swine flu because it is a news story. just like sars and avian flu. once the media gets bored of it (hopefully soon) people will forget about it. thats just how the media works, and people buy into it. i should know, i am in the communications department of my school. i am surrounded by journalists, they love this sh**.

people forget the news is presented to them by people who get paid for covering stories. if you can push a story there is more work which means more money

i'm not saying swine flu is just a media hype. it is real and deadly, but the ridiculousness around it has been blown way out of proportion by the media. this is part pf the reason i want to stray from journalism and do something different in the army. i hate how the media runs these days. wish i could have figured that out before i invested 4 years of a college education into it, lol

heres a recent story: [url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30398682/[/url]