armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name
Password

Old 06-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Recruit

Default College question

Hello,

My name is Benjamin Smith. I am in the future Soldier program right now and was hoping someone could help me out here. I'm wanting to do some college classes so i can become an officer. My recruiter told me there's online classes you can take or w/e but I don't know how to do it. He's not very helpful on this. I am on the AKO webstie and it has E-army under the education or something like that. Anyways when can I start taking online classes? After I get back from AIT and Basic or can I start now? Also I have a couple questions about AIT if however replies could help me with that I'll ask.

Thanks Ben

Old 06-27-2006, 05:53 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
Hello,

My name is Benjamin Smith. I am in the future Soldier program right now and was hoping someone could help me out here. I'm wanting to do some college classes so i can become an officer. My recruiter told me there's online classes you can take or w/e but I don't know how to do it. He's not very helpful on this. I am on the AKO webstie and it has E-army under the education or something like that. Anyways when can I start taking online classes? After I get back from AIT and Basic or can I start now? Also I have a couple questions about AIT if however replies could help me with that I'll ask.

Thanks Ben

Whenever you take college courses you will use your military education benefits, for this, you will always need approval from your chain-of-command. If you decide to take classes that you can't finish before basic and have to withdraw, there is a good chance you will have to pay the tuition for the course or repay whichever organization payed the tuition. There are education counselors on military installations--probably even available on each installation's website. Talk to your recruitor more; if he/she can't help you they should know who to refer you to.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 AM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to scconwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Hello,

Thanks Ben
First off don't talk to a recruiter about college they do not know as much as they think they do. Also online courses will not get you a commission in the Army. Most schools do not accept them anyway so they are a waste of time and money. What you need to do is after you get back from AIT get in contact with a college ROTC department. You will qualify for something called the green to gold program. In order to obtain a officers commission through any ROTC program you must complete MS3, MS4, officers basic camp, and obtain a BA/BS degree. You don't half to worry about MS1 and 2 due to you have gone through BCT and AIT. Now if you go through the Army Reserves as soon as you complete AIT you can contract out with the ROTC program and you will get you drill pay on top of a free education. I'm going to give you two web addresses the first is the Army's ROTC home page, and the second in my schools ROTC departments homepage: [url]http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/[/url] [url]http://armyrotc.com/edu/univnorthal/index.htm[/url]. I hope all this information will prove beneficial to you and your endeavors.

Cadet Conwill

Last edited by scconwill; 07-21-2008 at 08:33 PM..

Old 07-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
Hello,

Thanks Ben
the previous replies posted good info and good links.

E-ArmyU is the college progam designed to help Soldiers already on active duty.

What are your questions about AIT?