- Forums

Go Back Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name

Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
dario dario is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1
Default army residency

I'm a Foreign Medical Graduate with ECFMG certification and US Green Card.
I'm thinking to join the Army and to apply for a residency program.
What I would like to know is first of all if its possible. If yes, what should I do?
Thank you all.

Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2009, 06:13 AM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729

I'm afraid that a residency program in the Army won't work for you, Dario. You can enlist in the Army with a green card but you can't come in as an officer, which you would do as an MD, without a US citizenship.

Talk to a Recruiter to be sure but I know officers have to have their citizenship. He'll probably tell you that you should come in as an enlisted man because you can get your citizenship faster in the Army. Once you become a citizen you can apply for an officer commission as an MD.

MSG Glenn
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Grunt Medic TXARNG's Avatar
Grunt Medic TXARNG Grunt Medic TXARNG is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 45

As you already are a Lawful Permanent Resident, you meet the key requirements for a test program looking to enlist and then commission people just like you. From [url][/url] -

The Defense Department has authorized the U.S. Army to implement, under the Military Accessions Vital to the National Interest (MAVNI) program, a test that permits the enlistment and subsequent commissioning of certain legal aliens as health care professionals. To be eligible for consideration, you must be legally present in the United States, and able to provide a passport, I-94 card, I-797 form, your employment authorization document or other government issued documents proving your legal presence in the United States.

For more information, go to [url][/url] and submit your information, and an Army Healthcare recruiter will contact you. Good luck!
Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2009, 07:24 PM
dmitrinyr dmitrinyr is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Default Possible Army Residency for US Citizen

I have a similar situation as the original poster but one simple difference, I'm a US Citizen.

I'm a Foreign Medical School Graduate from a Caribbean Medical School. I graduated last year. Is there a way for a non-enlisted person who did not attend an army/navy/marines medical school to obtain a residency position in an armed forces residency program?

Also if this is possible, how many year of committment would it entail? 3-5? more? Would they help me with my medical school loans?

Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
·Contact Us   ·Legal   ·Privacy   ·Link To Us    ·Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2019 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.