armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 02-15-2005, 06:11 AM
Private First Class

Send a message via AIM to XxdeformedxperfectionxX Send a message via MSN to XxdeformedxperfectionxX Send a message via Yahoo to XxdeformedxperfectionxX
Question Question....

I am 16 and got my GED in August of last year... I've been looking at different branches of the military that I could possibly join, I talked to an Air Force recruiter online and he/she said this:

You need a high school diploma. The rule is that less than 1% of our total number of enlistees can be GED holders, and they must be 18 or older. So, say we recruit 12,000 this year (avg). That means that 120 of those recruited can be GED holders. That means an average of only 2.4 GED holders from each state. The odds of getting in as a GED holder are not great. However, if you obtain 15 semester hours of qualifying college credit, and are 17 years of age that will supersede the GED and you will be processed as a high school graduate. To be qualifying, these credits must be from a fully accredited college or university. The classes must be 100 level or above.

I was wondering if it's the same in the Army, if not I would like to join after my 17th birthday. I want to join the Military because I love my country... Of course. I also want to better my life, over the past 3 years I had gotten into drugs really bad and have been clean for about 3 months now. I know that drugs are not tolerated in the Military at all and am hoping that will help me more so to stay clean.

Anyway, does anyone know if having a GED makes it harder to join?

Old 02-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Private First Class

i belive you can join the army with no problem with only a ged

Old 02-17-2005, 05:29 AM
First Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to Firefox
Default XxdeformedxperfectionxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxdeformedxperfectionxX
I am 16 and got my GED in August of last year... I've been looking at different branches of the military that I could possibly join, I talked to an Air Force recruiter online and he/she said this:

You need a high school diploma. The rule is that less than 1% of our total number of enlistees can be GED holders, and they must be 18 or older. So, say we recruit 12,000 this year (avg). That means that 120 of those recruited can be GED holders. That means an average of only 2.4 GED holders from each state. The odds of getting in as a GED holder are not great. However, if you obtain 15 semester hours of qualifying college credit, and are 17 years of age that will supersede the GED and you will be processed as a high school graduate. To be qualifying, these credits must be from a fully accredited college or university. The classes must be 100 level or above.

I was wondering if it's the same in the Army, if not I would like to join after my 17th birthday. I want to join the Military because I love my country... Of course. I also want to better my life, over the past 3 years I had gotten into drugs really bad and have been clean for about 3 months now. I know that drugs are not tolerated in the Military at all and am hoping that will help me more so to stay clean.

Anyway, does anyone know if having a GED makes it harder to join?
yes you can join once of age.. 18 and GED is accepted.. make sure ur math is good.. ASVAB is very easy... and the army will help you mature very quick trust me.. you will get know know and have real friends .. they will become familly ...

You wiull be fine with your GED..

Old 03-06-2005, 08:30 PM
Private

my husband is in the army and he had to get his diploma before they would let him join.

Old 03-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Private

you need a hs diploma or 15 credit hours of college

the civilian husband