armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

  #1  
Old 05-18-2009, 06:07 PM
airbornerangerson's Avatar
airbornerangerson airbornerangerson is offline
Private First Class
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Danville Va.
Posts: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to airbornerangerson
Default hardest part

what is the hardest part of bct?
__________________
Proud son of a 82nd airborne ranger.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 PM
missinhim's Avatar
missinhim missinhim is offline
First Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 827
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornerangerson View Post
what is the hardest part of bct?
i guess thats different with different people...

some is the home sickness
some is the DS's yelling at you
waking up to early
pushups
running..

stuff like that owuld be my gues....................
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 PM
68Whiskey's Avatar
68Whiskey 68Whiskey is offline
First Sergeant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornerangerson View Post
what is the hardest part of bct?
I think the running is gonna be the hardest for me. But I'm gonna work on my 1 and 2 mile run times. DSs can be a pain, but if you go in with the understanding that they don't really hate your guts, they are just tryin to mold you into a soldier, it's not so bad. For me, push-ups and sit-ups are cake. And homesickness won't be a problem, I'm looking foward to getting out of Florida for a change.
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 05-18-2009, 11:20 PM
ArmyBoots ArmyBoots is offline
Private First Class
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 15
Default my two cents...

I agree that it is different for everyone. After talking with Jake, though, I think the whole experience would have been easier (except for the separation from his fiance) had he been healthy. He has been sick almost the whole time. He got an ear infection, strep throat, and bronchitis almost immediately. He has not been able to shake the upper-respiratory thing, thoough. He was afraid he would not pass his final PT test. (He did.) Medical treatment takes time away from training, and you run the risk of being put on "profile." You just can't get well if you can't rest. I think he spent mother's day trying to sleep in a closet because it was dark and quiet.

So, here is my two-cents worth: Get your body in shape well before shipping. If you smoke, quit now!!! Eat right, take your vitimins and maybe zinc, be rested. Build up your immune system as much as you can. You'll be in close quarters and illness is very common from what I hear.

Jake is at Victory Forge this week! By this time next week, I'll be getting ready to fly from California to Fort Jackson. Hooah!

donna...
Very Proud Mom of G.I. Jake
BCT Ft. Jackson 1/13 Foxtrot Co. Rough Riders
Grad 29 May, 2009
AIT FLW
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 05-18-2009, 11:33 PM
68Whiskey's Avatar
68Whiskey 68Whiskey is offline
First Sergeant
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBoots View Post
I agree that it is different for everyone. After talking with Jake, though, I think the whole experience would have been easier (except for the separation from his fiance) had he been healthy. He has been sick almost the whole time. He got an ear infection, strep throat, and bronchitis almost immediately. He has not been able to shake the upper-respiratory thing, thoough. He was afraid he would not pass his final PT test. (He did.) Medical treatment takes time away from training, and you run the risk of being put on "profile." You just can't get well if you can't rest. I think he spent mother's day trying to sleep in a closet because it was dark and quiet.

So, here is my two-cents worth: Get your body in shape well before shipping. If you smoke, quit now!!! Eat right, take your vitimins and maybe zinc, be rested. Build up your immune system as much as you can. You'll be in close quarters and illness is very common from what I hear.

Jake is at Victory Forge this week! By this time next week, I'll be getting ready to fly from California to Fort Jackson. Hooah!

donna...
Very Proud Mom of G.I. Jake
BCT Ft. Jackson 1/13 Foxtrot Co. Rough Riders
Grad 29 May, 2009
AIT FLW
Tell your son congratulations!
__________________
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 05-19-2009, 12:24 AM
mikeSD1986 mikeSD1986 is offline
Staff Sergeant
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: midwest united states
Posts: 147
Default

i let you know in 4 months i ship wed morning lol
__________________
Army National Guard soldier in RSP. Ship date 20th May 2009. Time to get prepared! HOOAH I'm excited! MOS 31B /RANK PFC (Updated)
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 05-19-2009, 07:23 AM
Mikelp Mikelp is offline
Corporal
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: farm in the midwest
Posts: 30
Default

You didn't do BCT before you became an Airborne Ranger?
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 AM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

It all depends on the Drill Sgt, the BCT post & the individual. My son said the hardest part was the week he was in Reception. After a few days in BCT he was in a groove & the training was hard but interesting. Any OSUT, & I can only relate to Infantry OSUT, is pretty hard. I can't imagine Armor, Artillery or MP OSUT being any easier.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 05-19-2009, 07:40 AM
MSG Glenn's Avatar
MSG Glenn MSG Glenn is offline
Brigadier General
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 2,729
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelp View Post
You didn't do BCT before you became an Airborne Ranger?
He's the son of an Airborne Ranger, Mike.

Good luck. Catch ya in 4 months.
__________________
Proud Dad of a USArmy Ranger SFC - 3/75 Rangers
USNavy 1960-1966 Submarine Service, Navy Diver-UDT 21
USArmy 1980-2001 Airborne Infantry,G3, Army Instructor, Commo Instructor Company 1SG
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 05-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Soldier gf Soldier gf is offline
Sergeant First Class
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 179
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinhim View Post
i guess thats different with different people...

some is the home sickness
some is the DS's yelling at you
waking up to early
pushups
running..

stuff like that owuld be my gues....................
From what I heard, it isn't just one thing that is the hardest...it is a little bit of everything adding up over time that makes it hard. Depending on your support from home, it will be slightly easier or rough. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:28 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Contact Us   Legal   Privacy   Link To Us    Advertise With Us    ·About Us    ·Site Map     
     Copyright 2004-2008 Activv, LLC. All rights reserved. armyreal.com is a service provided by Activv.
This website is not affiliated, endorsed, authorized, or associated in any way with any government, military or country.