armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Armies of the World
User Name
Password

Old 11-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Private First Class

Smile The Australian army

The Gallipoli battlefield was a testing ground for Australian troops. It was here that they were tested and brought out their nation's worth, and their quality as men of this world. They had matched themselves against the best and more!
The Australian army is indeed unique, and in MY oppinion, the greatest fighting force in the Post-Modern era(1900-2005).

They fought well above their weight. Had a ferocious boldness in battle, and under pressure were independent, unlike their british counterparts! They were cheeky, friendly and respected their enemies. One photo i saw as of an australian soldier giving a wounded turk a drink of his water out in the middle of a desert.

We were shock troopers on the battlefields, always making the enemy fear us, and were cheeky to our commanding officers. We broke the hindenburg line, mounted the last great cavalry charge in history. Always faced odds and won. And we earned ourselves a signiture quality, mateship and we are primarily best used in close combat. Another signiture of the aussie army. British commanders made sure always to have an aussie regiment in their army. We held off torbuk from the German Desert Fox, saved East Timor from warlords with such success that the people of the area respect us deeply. I think it was General Allenby from WWII, who said something like this 'Give me a battalion of Australians, and i will conquer the whole world!'

The fact is, the world and most of australia herself even, do not even realise any of these qualities of the OZ army. It is a fact! Hardly anybody knows.

The ANZAC qualities of bravery, perseverance, mateship, determination and all the other positive aspects that can be found in the story are still what we would show if we were tested again.

I have seen on various forums, the British boys bragging over the battle of Rourkes Drift. In the manner in which 300British soldiers fought off 4,000 Zulus. I argue, you only won because the Zulus honoured your fighting, if they hadn't of walked off that day, the battle would have ended that day, with the Zulus's taking the small encampment.

I argue that we have something better! Ever heard oif the battle of Thermoplyae? In which 300Spartans held off 1,000,000 Persians in 480BCE. Well this proud country has her equivalent! It was the Battle of Isurava, a battle during world war 2 in Papua new Guniea, during the Japanese offensive. It was in the manner in which several hundred inadequately trained and supplied young aussie volunteers held off 10,000 of Japan's best combat troops, and held off for several days under constant attack and bombardment. The stubborn resistance of australian troops blunted the Japanese drive and pretty much just screwed up the entire japanese timetable for invasion of Port Moresby and then Australia.

Our enemies fear us, and respect us. We aren't warmongerers, but will fight for what is ours and or beliefs! We were born to fight, and are the most aggressive army in the world! Just try standing up to sportsman in combat! We are a small army, but in war numbers alone confer no advantage.

We think logically in battle. For example in Vietnam, Yanki troops walked around blazing music, hoping to get the enemy to them. The aussies went around quietly and stealthly, hunting the vietcong. The SAS were easily head and shoulders the best special forces in the world. The US commanders told the Aussie commandos in Vietnam to do a job. Very shortly the aussies came back, saying they had done the job. The Yanks didn't believe them, so they said to go back and bring some evidence. They did, it was their enemies genitals.

I stress to know that the world and even most of australia do not know of the aussie army's achevements and qualities. Instead of being given credit for roles in battle, it is their foreign commanders who take the credit, the poms or yanks. We are swept under the rug, so that the truth is never told.

One last thing i will conclude with, is in Singapore, the Japs had invaded. The british commanders ordered all australian troops to surrender and smash the rifles of the ground. One aussie veteran from the area said all the men were crying when braking the rifles, because they wanted to fight! They said we were born fighters, and they knew they could deal a massive blow to the japs if allowed to fight. The british commanders had betrayed them! And for that 16,000 aussies were forced to suffer in changi prison and along the burma railways.

Oh yah, this guy who lived up the road from my house was old and fought during ww2. He said that an oz soldier was given a higher rank to officer. He turned dog on him and his mates, so they threw a grenade in the tent while the officer was sleeping and killed him. The fact was this happened often. You turn dog on an aussie in battle and he will make you pay!

One LAST thing is there was *** soldiers coming down the road on bikes in singapore, the aussies, though outnumbered, leaped an ambush on them. Everytime a *** was bayoneted once, he squeeled like a pig. But this aussie veteran from that fight on this documentary, said he was bayoneted twenty times by the japs, and he kept fighting, he did not squeel once. He showed all the scars across his body too. This was the same for all the aussies in that battle.

Oh well, i've had my talk, what have you's got to say? (This is not just patriotic talk, this is fact)

Last edited by aLLOssie; 11-22-2005 at 10:43 PM..

Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 PM
Second Lieutenant

Well said mate the aussies are some of the toughest fighters going i agree with you on singapore it made me sick to my my heart when i heard about that
English bloody officers for you we would have won that fight by the way

A lot of the aussies are of Scotish decent as you probibly know 70% of the SAS are Scotish
too David Sterling(the man who made the SAS)came not far from where i stay

You have every right to feel proud of being australian you have a great fighting history!

its about time people knew the truth about your military history

the scotish infintry was very muched used as shock troopers as well in WW2 the germans
called us the kilted devils

we are also born to fight

Last edited by Zeus185; 11-22-2005 at 11:22 PM..

Old 11-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Captain

Send a message via MSN to royal marine

you dont realise that in singapore WE suffered more and in gallipoli WE suffered more aswell
dont brag aboput your SAS, cos they were moulded from OURS
i think you're going over the top with your facts here
just give the aussies a good old terrorist war to fight in, in the middle east and we'll see how they do!

Old 11-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Private First Class

To Zues: Thanks to see someone care! yah i know a lot of aussies of scottish descent. I actually am too. Except i am also a little bit of everything else. I am English (My dad's side from Cornwall), i am also Scottish (From a scottish nobleman Andrew Mccrae) and African and Australian Aboriginal. I actually knew about how the Germans feared the scots. They're mad fighters. I heard when fighting the english in 14th century thye ran around naked in the snow! The english feared them, thinkin they were demons!

To marine: I dont know why you're getting all emotional, it wasn't about casualties. Gallipoli was like a rebirth for Australia, it is something all us aussies celebrate every ANZAC day. Regardless thta if was a defeat. This began our nation. It is where the ANZAC spirit came from. I wasn't bragging about singapore, the whole issue was that the aussies wanted to fight! The allies there suffered together. But the aussies stuck together as mates. it was another area where mateship was truly alive. And no i dont go over the top with facts! Never! All this i have researched through the net, like that sais something, but i also have seen alot of documentaries which the veterans tell their stories, one of these is called ANZACS, the colour of war. Narrated by russell crow. My dad told me most of the stories about the SAS in vietnam, how their ruthlessness gave then a most feared reputation among their enemies.
I swear to you, that the stories i told are primary sources, in other words are real! They were said by people from that event itself! The bit about throwin grenades in tents with their commanding officers sleeping inside is 100% true. ask any aussie war veteran from gallipoli(sadly they all passed away a few years ago). I dont care about how one army suffered more than the other, i am really talking about the fighting spirit australian soldiers carried and still will carry when we are tested in another event of war.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:10 PM
Second Lieutenant

marine if you know as much as what you say you know youd know that the aussie SAS are just as deadly as ours in fact they go on training together all the time there very much seen as a sister unit along with the new zealand SAS

iv been aware of the aussie fighting prowess for some time one of the best muay thai fighters in the world come from there Daniel somthing i cant reamember his second name
but dont worry people in the know about scraping know that the aussies are among the
best

Old 11-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Command Sergeant Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal marine
you dont realise that in singapore WE suffered more and in gallipoli WE suffered more aswell
dont brag aboput your SAS, cos they were moulded from OURS
i think you're going over the top with your facts here
just give the aussies a good old terrorist war to fight in, in the middle east and we'll see how they do!
you ****ing retard, typical brit you are. 'your sas is moulded on ours'. pull your head out your *** and smell the ****ing roses. just because we share the same initial and same motto does not in any way make us like the brits

'give the aussies a good old terrorist war to fight in'?? WTF?! der dickhead, we were in Iraq for a good eight months clearing out the western desert and securing the highway from Baghdad to the Jordanian border. didnt suffer a single casualty. and on that, only suffered 1 in Afghanistan in '02.

check you facts before you go shooting your mouth off.

as for your comments on British losses in Gallipoli... the only reason there were any losses is because we had a bunch of inexperienced retarded british officers whose rich *** families PAID FOR THEIR COMMISION, and sent us (Aussies, Brits and Kiwis) to the slaughter.

Old 11-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Private First Class

Good onya Ozzisoldja, show these ignorant wan*%$s the truth.

In WWI: - a note on the aussie lighthorse.
With war in Europe braking out between the Allied nations and Central Powers consisting of Germany, Austro-Hungary and Ottoman Turkey, Australia Entered the fray by declaring war on these powers and immediately began raising an army of its own known as the AIF.
And out of that army arose the famous ‘Australian Light-Horse’, perhaps the most unique and colourful force ever to leave our shores.
The Australian Light-Horse was a mounted force of a total of 14 regiments and would prove to be a bulwark against the forces of the Central Powers in the Middle East.
Each and every one of these individuals in the Light Horse was a superb horseman and crack-shot, most of them born and raised in the rugged Australian Bush. Each could fire from their mounts, unlike the british cavalry whom would dismount to fire.

Everyone of these mounted troops in the Australian Light-Horse were easily distinguishable to foe and ally alike by their slouched hats, and fluttering Emu plumes...
The Australian Light Horse were noted as Shock Troops, their good humour under almost any conditions, their boldness in combat and a unique sense of "fair play". These rugged horseman lived by an unwritten code of ethics - you never left a mate behind, no matter the cost -

Unlike their counterparts in France and Belgium the Light Horse in the Middle East were to fight a mobile war against Turkey in conditions completely different from the mud and stagnation of the Western Front.
While many Light Horseman thought they were missing out on the real ‘war’, they were completely wrong...

The Light Horse was widely used around Egypt, Africa and the Middle East because of their mobility, they could go places where trucks and tanks couldn’t go and could go lengthy distances that infantry couldn’t possibly march in such a short time in which the Light Horse could. The Light Horse was reliable and effective, which is why British Commanders always adopted a regiment to their battalion...

The lighthorsemen and their mounts had to survive extreme heat, harsh terrain and water shortages. Their mounts kept them alive and would somethimes go without water for many days straight...

The campaign in the Middle East began in 1916 with The Australian Light Horse participating in the defence of the Suez Canal and the allied reconquest of the Sinai. Many thousands who would play in the role at the Nek in Gallipoli.

After many victories against the Turks, Under Australian commander Chauvel, who proved himself the greatest strategist and leader of mounted troops of his era, the Light Horse headed for Beersheba situated in the Sinai, where the British army was in stalemate with the Turks and was in desperate need of 400,000 galons of water...
Beersheba was an Ottoman Outpost in the southern part of their large Empire... It was a town known for its famous 17 wells and was held by just 5,000 Turks…..
The British were in a tight stalemate with the Turks, and after many unsuccessful British and Allied assaults, the outpost was thought to be Impregnable...

Then with the Light Horse present at Beersheba, Commander Chauvel concocted a plan to charge the fortified position and promised to have it by sun down... The British Commanders called it ‘Mad, but were running out of choices, and allowed it to happen...
800 units of the Australian 4th and 11th Light Horse had successfully taken Beersheba in less than an hour before the last rays of the dying sun...Nearly 800 out of the current 5000 Turkish Soldiers in the small town had surrendered just minutes after the Light Horse had charged into Beersheba, many a thousand Turks were killed within the hour and more thousands fleed the city in a haste to survive...

The Light Horse had Broken the Turkish Lines in which 60,000 British Soldiers and heavy gun support could not do...
Only 31 Australians had been killed during the attack at Beersheba..
‘History's last great mounted charge thus was hastily organised in an atmosphere of urgency and was one of the most successful missions during WWI’
The following months, the lighthorse moved on Jerusalem, and took it, but were ordered to hide in the hills for lawrence or arabia to arrive and he himself capture it to protect his ego. it is a lie many historians have kept from the world for decades. Lawrance didnt take jerusalem, the truth was that the aussies had.

The Light Horseman was the best mounted soldier in history, finer even than the Russian Cossack or the American Plains Indian. In fact British General Allenby rated the cavalry as one of, if not the most magnificent in history.

In the western front, as soon as 5 aussie divisions formed up for the first time, they were the strongest allied corps there ever was. Now doesn't that say something about the troops. Not to mention we had the highest death rate. 70% of our troops were killed, wounded or taken prisoner. 70%!!!! Near the end of the war, the aussies were so depleted in man power by being over used, that they had to stay back and watch Berlin fall under other allied contingents.

Old 11-26-2005, 02:03 AM
Captain

how is your SAS different to ours
our SAS trains yours.......yes you were in iraq but you were right behind the lines and hardly ever got into any action,hence only 1 loss in iraq and afghanistan,and what i meant was YOU fighting on your own against some ragheads
as for the officer bit i agree,we had posh pricks who paid to get to the 2nd lieutenant rank
the brits also hated our officers and senior generals thats why we were called ''lions led by donkeys''
most the time the officer broke down from shellshoch,was shot or just pissed himself with fear,thats when the british EXPERIENCED sergeants came in to do the work
and boy they could fight,especially on gallipolli. i dont know why you're complaining about that battle anyway because we both suffered and not only your country
i take interest in gallipolli most because of the royal marine commandos who fought there with a batallion of aussies
apparently the aussies were astonished by our marines because of how they watched how the marines ran up the hill on cape helles and even though sever machine gun fire cut them all down,the royal marines kept running into enemy fire to take the trench

Old 11-26-2005, 02:03 AM
Captain

how is your SAS different to ours
our SAS trains yours.......yes you were in iraq but you were right behind the lines and hardly ever got into any action,hence only 1 loss in iraq and afghanistan,and what i meant was YOU fighting on your own against some ragheads
as for the officer bit i agree,we had posh pricks who paid to get to the 2nd lieutenant rank
the brits also hated our officers and senior generals thats why we were called ''lions led by donkeys''
most the time the officer broke down from shellshoch,was shot or just pissed himself with fear,thats when the british EXPERIENCED sergeants came in to do the work
and boy they could fight,especially on gallipolli. i dont know why you're complaining about that battle anyway because we both suffered and not only your country
i take interest in gallipolli most because of the royal marine commandos who fought there with a batallion of aussies
apparently the aussies were astonished by our marines because of how they watched how the marines ran up the hill on cape helles and even though sever machine gun fire cut them all down,the royal marines kept running into enemy fire to take the trench

Old 11-26-2005, 04:33 AM
Major General

Quote:
The Light Horse had Broken the Turkish Lines in which 60,000 British Soldiers and heavy gun support could not do...
Only 31 Australians had been killed during the attack at Beersheba..
You fail to say that the Cavalry charge was supported by British Artillery and the 74th and 60th British Infantry divisions. All units took there objectives !

I have no doubt that the Austrailian cavalry played a key role in taking Beersheba. But when you are responsibly retelling historical stories, its polite to give the reader all the facts .Not just the ones you choose !
Quote:
The following months, the lighthorse moved on Jerusalem, and took it, but were ordered to hide in the hills for lawrence or arabia to arrive and he himself capture it to protect his ego. it is a lie many historians have kept from the world for decades. Lawrance didnt take jerusalem, the truth was that the aussies had.
The taking of Jerusalem was a joint effort not soley an Austrailian one .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bsheba.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	140  

Last edited by Texas; 11-26-2005 at 05:13 AM..