armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Armies of the World
User Name
Password

Old 05-20-2009, 01:12 PM
First Lieutenant

Default Basic Training for the Armies of the world.

I am curious to know the length of training for the Armies/Marines/Navy's/Air Forces of the world. I heard a rumor that the British Marines train for 1 full year in comparison to the 3 months the US Marines train. Just wanting to know if this is true and how the training differs in each country.
BCT/AIT: Ft. Knox, KY/Ft. Gordon, GA
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu

Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post
I am curious to know the length of training for the Armies/Marines/Navy's/Air Forces of the world. I heard a rumor that the British Marines train for 1 full year in comparison to the 3 months the US Marines train. Just wanting to know if this is true and how the training differs in each country.
The Royal Marine course is very tough mate and they incorporate a lot of SFs tactics and training..I would class the RMs as SOFs...Comparing them to US Marines isnt really fair(no disrespect to the USMC at all)

British infantry(regular) training lasts up to 24 weeks.

Think of the USMC and the British Army as a very good comparison
and I'll show you a man waiting for a beating.

كافر

Old 05-20-2009, 02:00 PM
First Lieutenant

I've actually heard from a US Marine that the Brittish Marines are much tougher...not to discount the US Marines at all, but it shocked me that one of our Marines would even admit that out loud.
"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win." -Sun Tzu

Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
I've actually heard from a US Marine that the Brittish Marines are much tougher...not to discount the US Marines at all, but it shocked me that one of our Marines would even admit that out loud.
Ive known a few US Marines over the years...served with them aswell.

Im shocked that one of those warriors would say that myself

كافر

Old 05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Colonel

Send a message via AIM to SniperAlpha1 Send a message via MSN to SniperAlpha1

Royal Marines would be the rough equivalent of Battalion Reconnaissance Marines. SOF versus the USMC "Unconventional Conventional" fighting force.

When you count MCT/SOI and the required schools and MOS Training your average US Marine will train for well over a year. Different Missions, same name.

That doesn't mean US and Royal Marines never work together, they fought in Iraq and Afghanistan side by side.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Recruit

It's summer time again and that means more recruits will be heading to basic training. It's time to learn first hand what surviving boot camp is all about. I had someone leaving for Air Force boot camp recently ask me if it was a good idea to sign up for the summer or in the winter.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default When and where??

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixlipo View Post
It's summer time again and that means more recruits will be heading to basic training. It's time to learn first hand what surviving boot camp is all about. I had someone leaving for Air Force boot camp recently ask me if it was a good idea to sign up for the summer or in the winter.
I think alot of the decision has to do with where you are from! I was born and raised in Houston Texas and went to BCT/AIT at Ft. Knox Kentucky in Novemebr. Needless to say I froze my A** off! I could handle the heat alot better than I could handle the cold. I was later stationed in Germany...FROZE then sent to Ft. Bliss Texas followed by Ft. Polk Louisiana and handled the weather just fine. It all depends on what you are used to.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
I think alot of the decision has to do with where you are from! I was born and raised in Houston Texas and went to BCT/AIT at Ft. Knox Kentucky in Novemebr. Needless to say I froze my A** off! I could handle the heat alot better than I could handle the cold. I was later stationed in Germany...FROZE then sent to Ft. Bliss Texas followed by Ft. Polk Louisiana and handled the weather just fine. It all depends on what you are used to.
I can understand that mate...we are pretty luck here as the UK weather is pretty much a standard...as in its pretty much a bag of bollocks for everyone.Its so small and the weather dosnt really differ from place to place.

In Iraq it took some getting used to but luckily the Army does a few training programmes that deals with extreme weathers from sub zero to scorching hot.

I was stationed in Germany....thats warm mate!!!

كافر

Old 05-22-2009, 06:30 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
The doctrine of the Royal Marines is different than the USMC. It comes a lot closer to our Force Recon Marines. I think one of the only things they have in common is the name "Marine"

Apples & oranges. Like comparing Navy SEALs to Royal Army SAS or even US Army Rangers for that matter. Some similarities but diiferent doctrine with different missions.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 AM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
The doctrine of the Royal Marines is different than the USMC. It comes a lot closer to our Force Recon Marines. I think one of the only things they have in common is the name "Marine"

Apples & oranges. Like comparing Navy SEALs to Royal Army SAS or even US Army Rangers for that matter. Some similarities but diiferent doctrine with different missions.
Fair enough. And again, this wasn't my personal opinion...just something I was awed by. But still curious to know how the training differs...aslthough I am getting the idea that it may be too extensive to explain.