armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 02-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Private

Cool Freaked out!!!!!! please help

My son who is about 17 1/2 just left for basic and actually just crossed the tracks on Wednesday 2-27-08. I got a call from him while he was in "holding" he said he was having a blast. Today I got a 2 minute call from him and could barely understand him because he was crying......OK so is this normal for him to be crying at basic or is he just being a big fat baby. He said he was fine he said that he hated it there and that he missed his family and then hung up the phone. So, is he having a bad case of culture shock. From what I hear it takes about 3 to 4 weeks until he should start seeing the fun in all they ar doing. sSo smeone please give me some in sight Thanks

Old 03-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicat View Post
My son who is about 17 1/2 just left for basic and actually just crossed the tracks on Wednesday 2-27-08. I got a call from him while he was in "holding" he said he was having a blast. Today I got a 2 minute call from him and could barely understand him because he was crying......OK so is this normal for him to be crying at basic or is he just being a big fat baby. He said he was fine he said that he hated it there and that he missed his family and then hung up the phone. So, is he having a bad case of culture shock. From what I hear it takes about 3 to 4 weeks until he should start seeing the fun in all they ar doing. sSo smeone please give me some in sight Thanks
Completely normal....Stay cool. Your son will be fine. He'll call again in a few weeks once the sweat rolls off....I was fine with it and ready for just about anything..I had alot of insight into everything coming from a military family...But it was hard on few guys until they settled in. He'll call again sometime after red phase, weeks 1-2, soldiers begin the process of becoming a Soldier; learning the Army values; work on physical fitness; learn about communications, basic first aid, map reading, and the military justice system. They also practice drill and ceremony and negotiate Victory Tower. Before moving to the next phase, soldiers must successfully complete a knowledge and skills test. He'll sound alot better the next time he calls. Hooah.

Good luck..

Spc. Nightflyer.
Army Aviation
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Second Lieutenant

What Nightflyer says is true. Give him a couple of weeks. They go through some ups and downs in the first few weeks then level off. He will be fine. Just write to him as soon as you get an address and keep those letters going in with lots of encouragement and positive news about things he cares about. My son went through waves, most of them do.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Private

Default More info

As parents we want the best for our children. I guess I just want him to love the Army so that he can take advantage of all they have to offer. I mean where else can you go and get the medical, dental ect and then retire after about 20 years ....NO WHERE. I guess I am just afraid he will regret his descision and choose not continue after his 4 years. Before he left I told him that he should enjoy everything the good and the bad the easy and hard times. No matter how hard we told him it was gonna be I think he didnt think so. I guess he is learning different. Any comments from anyone with knowlege of the whole BCT process and how we find out about graduation is appreciated.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Brigadier General

Cool Alpha Company,2nd Battalion,13th Infantry Regiment.

Quote:
As parents we want the best for our children. I guess I just want him to love the Army so that he can take advantage of all they have to offer. I mean where else can you go and get the medical, dental ect and then retire after about 20 years ....NO WHERE. I guess I am just afraid he will regret his descision and choose not continue after his 4 years. Before he left I told him that he should enjoy everything the good and the bad the easy and hard times. No matter how hard we told him it was gonna be I think he didnt think so. I guess he is learning different. Any comments from anyone with knowlege of the whole BCT process and how we find out about graduation is appreciated.
One step at a time..We're dealing with one phase at a time. Thanks, It is true about retirement and the benifits...The Army is a great career choice. It's about doing our jobs and the soldiers beside us.....He has to learn this...We all did....He as to fit in and then start working on his soldiers skills..It's not easy or everyone would be doing it...Red phase is a ***** and it's non stop..Give it time. Tri-care insurence is great. I don't regret my career choice one bit. Bct Graduation dates aand the Schedules may vary, so check your Soldier’s battalion web page to verify Family Day and graduation times and locations. The day before graduation (normally Thursday) is designated as "Family Day." Good luck and welcome to the Army Family.

Spc. Nightflyer. Spec 4 Mafia
Army Aviation. Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Private

Default I apparently have no clue

So, how do I know his battalion all he has given me is ......his address in Ft Sill Unit D4...4th Platoon Wolfpack....

Old 03-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Brigadier General

Cool Alpha Company,2nd Battalion,13th Infantry Regiment.

Quote:
So, how do I know his battalion all he has given me is ......his address in Ft Sill Unit D4...4th Platoon Wolfpack....

Here you go....You have all the info you need..If you must call make it during non peak times 11.00 pm...

Check with this site....You'll find out everything you need to know..
Quote:
[url]http://sill-www.army.mil/[/url]
Good Luck.

Spc. Nightflyer. Spec 4 Mafia
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:54 PM
Brigadier General

He's still at Reception. He won't be at his BCT location for a week or so depending on when his class starts. A short while after he gets there you'll probably receive a form letter addressed by him giving his address & any emergency numbers. A while after that you'll receive a packet giving you graduation dates & Family Day date & location. When my son took his Infantry OSUT at Ft. Benning the even sent color maps showing where to go once you arrived on post.

Reception is usually not a very happy place. My son had to spend 2 weeks there as he had to ship before a certain date to be eligible for his bonus. He was a lot happier when he actually started basic.

As young as he is he has to be reminded that there were millions who went through the same thing he's going through & he'll be with a bunch with exactly the same feelings as he has.

Thank you for supporting a future Warrior.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Mine thought it would be a piece of cake too. He was pretty pitiful the first couple of weeks. But after that Red Phase is over, they do a turn around and it's amazing. He now loves what he does. He is currently deployed and as scared as he was to go, he likes it over there. He will be career if everything goes the way he hopes it will.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Brigadier General

Default Alpha Company,2nd Battalion,13th Infantry Regiment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmom42 View Post
What Nightflyer says is true.
Thanxs Bebe...Experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmom42 View Post
Mine thought it would be a piece of cake too. He was pretty pitiful the first couple of weeks. But after that Red Phase is over, they do a turn around and it's amazing. He now loves what he does. He is currently deployed and as scared as he was to go, he likes it over there. He will be career if everything goes the way he hopes it will.
It is amazing..Our unit becomes one...I love what I do as well. Im career Army. It's great your soldier feels the same way.. It's

Spc. Nightflyer. Spec 4 Mafia.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.