armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Basic Training
User Name
Password

Old 12-12-2007, 12:54 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-Steady View Post
Women are equally responsible for their reputation and for men's attitude toward them in the military. Not that I'm trying to absolve dudes of responsibility though.
I remember my sister saying that they had a policy of returning from the field every four days--at most--for showers. She said women have a high risk of urinary tract infection and bladder infection if they don't adequately clean themselves, especially during their menstrual cycle. In Iraq, at the start, we went a month using only baby wipes. We had enough water with us for drinking, not for bathing. Once, we linked up with a transportation company with women and they would go off in the distance to take a leak, even though there could have been land mines. In combat arms, we dig a hole and pinch a loaf--often in the open. Sometimes guys make fun of you but you deal with it. No harm was intended. I can imagine all the sexual harassment charges that would be filed if more women were in combat arms.
The issue isn't that women aren't capable, we all know they are. The problem is accommodation and social re-education... too many of them think that whenever a dude looks at them or says hello they're trying to get into their pants.

Your right Rock, its a two way street, it takes open minds and reeducation on the place for women in a military role for men aswell as women... as both often contribute to conflict which breaks down unit cohesion and morale...

Men need to know boundaries and make certain changes, as do women.. its a two way street...

A few people have touched on the issue of drama queens... and I think this is a critical point.. I was from an all male unit, and two guys in it were fully fledged drama queens... OMFG!!!!!... I used to tell one especially to "go ***** himself" at least 3 times a day... like a routine... This is not cohesive to an active unit... it sux.. and they eventually went... to a coshier job one guy was laughing at us leaving the gate to goto Dublin.. good riddance.... was never missed.... Anway, I am wondering off the topic.. ok back to my point... As you can see, I HATE drama queens, and they can be male and female... from what Im told, the Female ones are 10 times worse, so imagine the reception theyd get of me... lol...

I think the ones who just cant stop creating drama and **** out of nothing need to get a reeducation like never before... 40 lashes should do it.. haha.. joking.... ok, no they should be told to 1. Cop On to themseleves or 2. Find another job cos their out of the unit for disrupting unit desipline... its corrosive in a Civi Company, in a Military unit, its Cancerous...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 12-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Brigadier General

I hope nobody feels I don't think there is no place in the military for women. It's just a whole different ballgame when I had to deal with them after 20 years in the military, Navy & Army without even seeing a female military person then being assigned to a position where I had to interface with them on a daily basis. Always had to watch my mouth. I'm a Christian so I should have been careful from the start but a well-placed bit of foul language can work wonders in a group of men without offending them! As well as a metaphoric kick in the a$$.

Then there's the hygiene problem as previously stated. As long as a man has an e-tool he can relieve himself anyplace, anytime. The whole world is his urinal. What's a porta potty? What's a shower? We were lucky to be able to draw one GP Medium.

Men were usually referred to by their last name, women by their first. Then it came down to all had to be referred to by one or the other. My "favorite" female soldier was kind of a slacker. Instead of "McCarthy get your a$$ over here" it was "Peggy could I have a word with you for a minute?" You tell me which method is less time-consuming & effective.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:57 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
I hope nobody feels I don't think there is no place in the military for women. It's just a whole different ballgame when I had to deal with them after 20 years in the military, Navy & Army without even seeing a female military person then being assigned to a position where I had to interface with them on a daily basis. Always had to watch my mouth. I'm a Christian so I should have been careful from the start but a well-placed bit of foul language can work wonders in a group of men without offending them! As well as a metaphoric kick in the a$$.

Then there's the hygiene problem as previously stated. As long as a man has an e-tool he can relieve himself anyplace, anytime. The whole world is his urinal. What's a porta potty? What's a shower? We were lucky to be able to draw one GP Medium.

Men were usually referred to by their last name, women by their first. Then it came down to all had to be referred to by one or the other. My "favorite" female soldier was kind of a slacker. Instead of "McCarthy get your a$$ over here" it was "Peggy could I have a word with you for a minute?" You tell me which method is less time-consuming & effective.
I didn't take it that you didn't feel women weren't appreciated...

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 12-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
I didn't take it that you didn't feel women weren't appreciated...
Dang!! I was hoping someone would!
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
Dang!! I was hoping someone would!
I am sure you would love me to be that ONE dramatic girl... I have my moments.

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 12-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Default A Company, 2nd Battilion, 13th Infantry Regiment Training Brigade..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
If you are willing to do this -- you'll be one of those honorable women who can rise above the drama.

Fire
Wow......Exactly. Well said. You got it right Fire.. no mistake about it....women are a huge part of the Army. We couldn't make without them. Their was alot of smart talented women soldiers who we're award winning and cool. Excellent soldiers....but in Alpha unit we we're first day on "hardcore highspeed......

Nightflyer. Highspeed.
Army Aviation. Air Assualt.
Black berets forever.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 12-14-2007 at 06:51 PM..

Old 12-31-2007, 02:31 AM
Recruit

I went through Basic two years ago. I was trained in a new building and for me I didn't have a problem. But 9 weeks with 50plus women can drive anyone up a wall. In the beginning of training is the hardest...not b/c of the workouts but b/c at the end of the day 90% of the females are still talking even after lights out. I can't count how many times we were dragged out of bed due to being loud. After the third to fourth week it settled down but then came the problem with the males. They would get information sooner then us and would be told to tell us. But they won't and we would all end up saying hello to the ground. I only can think a couple of times that females being b**chy caused problems. I found the males with decent attuides (which were 80% of them) were helpful and nice.

For me I found that just trying my best helped me get through it. Oh and one point I didn't touch on was periods. I was losing alot of weight before and during BCT so I really didn't have a period till I was discharged (Honorablly) from the Army 6 months later. But if you do, the Drill SGt's (though annoyed) will let you do your business.

Its like camp, but harsh...hehe.

If you still are interested and have questions I can try to answer them.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:50 PM
Recruit

Default Email me :)

If any females are willing to answer some of my questions about basic, can you private message me? I'd like to exchange an email address with someone and go from there. Thanks!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Corporal

Send a message via MSN to angelbubbles68 Send a message via Yahoo to angelbubbles68
Default DUCKING behind the wall for this reply LOL

I personally fell if a female puts herself in a “typically mans” world then she should be able to do what ever a man does also no special treatments what so ever… I appreciate the females wanting to go serve and protect but they need to understand that in the military it is “a man’s world” and just because they feel the need to join in it doesn’t mean special considerations should be made for them buck up and do it like a man and be done with it. If you were hurt in the field who would you rather run in to get you? a 120 lb female who you knew couldn’t pull herself up and over a wall in basic or a male you saw jump up and over it with easy only to stop at the top and help his fellow man over too? LOL and yeah I am ready for the flack I am going to get from out here so hit me with your best shot. I do have a couple female friends that have went into the army and I tell them the same thing if they couldn’t hack it get your butt out and let the men do it.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Recruit

Hey Ducking I think you are totally right and I am not sure many people would disagree with you. I'm not so much talking about that as I am the actual experience of entering a 'mans world' ... obviously for a man heading into a man's world, there is not alot of prep needed. For a female to enter, there is usually some toughening up involved. Make sense?