armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name
Password

Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Recruit

Default After high school. . .

My boyfriend is planning on joining the military so he can pay for school. I'm not too sure of how it works. Can he join strictly for education? Or can he be sent off to fight during or after this? How does it all work?

Old 02-13-2008, 04:37 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via Yahoo to Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingForTheWorld View Post
My boyfriend is planning on joining the military so he can pay for school. I'm not too sure of how it works. Can he join strictly for education? Or can he be sent off to fight during or after this? How does it all work?
Yes he can be sent overseas... it also depends on the program he gets into also. Do you know what he is wanting to do?

-Fireball
Army Wife and mother of 3

Old 02-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
He will receive the training he needs to do his job. In the Army it's called MOS, Military Occupational Specialty after he finishes Basic Combat Training. If he can pick a MOS that transfers over to a civilian skill then he'll be one step ahead of the game. After he finishes his active duty in the Army, 3, 4 or 6 years then he will receive up to $50,000 for his civilian education - college or trade/vocational school. He's right in saying he's joining for an education. A recruiter will tell you that on a 3 or 4 year enlistment he can transfer most of his training toward college credits. Probably an Associate's Degree. All soldiers regardless of their MOS will more than likely be deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan sometime after they finish their training. Bear in mind that we're a nation at war & he'll be a warrior.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 07-05-2008, 12:29 PM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to scconwill

Quote:
Tell him to look at programs like SMP through the Army or College First through the Army National Guard. I also suggest applying for a Army ROTC Scholarship. The biggest misconception about the Army and College money is everybody thinks they half to join up and serve for several years before they get college money. If you are going to do this the first thing you will need to do is select a college with a military science department and contact them. They will be able to help you more than anybody. Then you will need to get in contact with your local Army or National Guard recruiter. Best of luck to Y'all and if you have any questions just ask and I'll answerer them to the best of my knowledge.

HOOAH

Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Recruit

I have a question regarding to college during the Army. For the $50,000 that I could receive after serving for 4-6 years, does this mean that I will receive also a salary during those 4-6 years, or just the $50,000 after I finish serving and that's it?
Also another question.. how does going to college WHILE serving in the military work? because I could get called up while in college.. correct?

Old 02-05-2009, 08:53 AM
Brigadier General

My son left active duty in May '08 after 4 years & 16 weeks. He's now attending a 2 year Criminal Justice course all paid for up to $50,000. He receives $1,023 a month plus his Reserve pay & unemployment comp. He signed up for the Reserves while still on active duty & got a $10,000 bonus plus a guarantee of not getting called to active duty for 2 years. The Veterans counselor at his school is in his Reserve unit & made sure he gets every penny legally owed to him. My son is not sure where the $1,023 comes from -VA, Reserves or state.

The drawback to being in the Reserves normally is the chance of being called to active duty while in school. There are no deferments granted to Reservists or Guardsmen while in college like there was when we had the draft.

The decision to go Active Army, Reserves, or National Guard has to be researched & all options need to be weighed. Each has its advantages. For the highest benefits the Active Army is the choice. Most if not all of your education will be paid & you have the whole rest of your life to go to school without interruption.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.