armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password

Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Recruit

Default Why do we still do sit-ups in the US Army?

Why is the US Army still doing sit-ups when the whole world that exercises knows it is inefficient and bad for your body?

From WikiHow:
Quote:
(Do not place both hands behind your head-- Placing both hands behind your head can cause lower back problems in the long run as it places unnecessary stress on that part of your body from pulling on your head and neck.)
From [url]http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1997/06jun/sit_up.htm[/url]
Quote:
Don't, however, interlace your fingers behind your head. When you do, you tend to pull on your head, which can stress the neck and cause injury. Pulling on your head also makes the abdominal muscles work less.
Personally, my neck hurts from doing sit-ups. I probably pull too much with my hands.

Sit-ups are not making my abs that much stronger fast. Doesnt really make my abs more tone. If anything, it just makes me tired.

I can pass a PT Test. I am not some PT failure complaining the system is against me.

Its just that since the US Army is developing, isn't it time to update our APFT and PT Program?

Some substitutes I could recommend:

Simply, dont place hands behind the head for sit-ups.
(Lets decrease the disability percentage for once from retiree's complaining about neck problems)

Find another ab exercise to test out.
(One we did in Soccer practice was lay flat on the ground, hold onto something like someone else's legs with your hands, and lift your legs straight up 90 degrees)
That could be a good replacement and work out our abs way better.

Can anyone recommend who I could email about this also in the US Army?
I believe we can change the APFT to be more efficient. It is 2007 now. We have gotten wiser on bad exersices.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

The whole world doesn't know it. There are just as many that say sit-ups are as there those that say they aren't.

The problem with sit-ups is that there's just little room for error, you have to do them correctly or you do run the risk of an injury. So it isn't the sit-up, it is the person doing them. Crunches aren't good for you if you do them incorrect either, btw.

Are there better exercises we could do? Yes. Will we change the APFT? No, it's the Army ...it would take an act of God to get the APFT changed.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Recruit

nah... if we changed to 'for show-only' berets instead of the patrol caps that actually served a purpose, we can change an APFT.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetpaul View Post
nah... if we changed to 'for show-only' berets instead of the patrol caps that actually served a purpose, we can change an APFT.
Not going to happen, men with heavier collars than you or I have tried.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Recruit

eh, im like an O-0 haha.

But im sure I could possibly talk to anyone higher just so I can at least try.

I dont plan on staying in the army long.

Get my commission, maybe get on Active Duty as a Signal officer, do my 3 years and get out.

But then again, who knows, I may be the next post commander haha.

I just want to know who is in charge of these decisions..... :/

Who approves the FM's?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:23 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetpaul View Post
eh, im like an O-0 haha.

But im sure I could possibly talk to anyone higher just so I can at least try.

I dont plan on staying in the army long.

Get my commission, maybe get on Active Duty as a Signal officer, do my 3 years and get out.

But then again, who knows, I may be the next post commander haha.

I just want to know who is in charge of these decisions..... :/

Who approves the FM's?
LOL That's not how the Army works, son. You don't just get to talk to anyone. You're bottom of the foodchain, they don't care what you have to say. It isn't a democracy, and unless you've got a critical job (even then, they only want to hear us when they need us) or you have a heavy collar trust me when I tell you - no one cares what you think.

That's the reality of things, you aren't going to change it. Start learning to accept it and roll with it or you aren't going to enjoy the Army very much. There are some things that you just can't get in to.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:10 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
LOL That's not how the Army works, son. You don't just get to talk to anyone. You're bottom of the foodchain, they don't care what you have to say. It isn't a democracy, and unless you've got a critical job (even then, they only want to hear us when they need us) or you have a heavy collar trust me when I tell you - no one cares what you think.

That's the reality of things, you aren't going to change it. Start learning to accept it and roll with it or you aren't going to enjoy the Army very much. There are some things that you just can't get in to.
Army life summed up in two paragraphs kids... its a fact all over the world......

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer
Cool So money.....You are proven. Thank you. Tacky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacky View Post
Start learning to accept it and roll with it or you aren't going to enjoy the Army very much. There are some things that you just can't get in to.

As Always.... Tacky. Your so money......The Guys and I appreciate it. We can prove it. I lift weights and I run long and hard. I play football with a soccer ball ...off the wall sometimes. I jump rope and work on my hand and footspeed. I play hockey and train for strength and speed. I study just as hard. Three major areas of my job within and out my unit. All 95% and above. Lol.

All for one reason. There are some things you "still can get". A day off with the unit and the guys F74k'in off and drinking......... beer............. Keep it simple. Lol.

And when I'm back at the rack. I dream of the time ..when I get back home to my mom and pop and my great family...and my one love. Ashley.......25 more days. I can feel it. Lol.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 04-06-2007 at 09:43 PM..

Old 04-07-2007, 06:49 AM
First Sergeant

Sit ups only work the top four abdominal muscles not the bottom two and the abdominal wall.Pulling the back of your neck is a big 'no no' place your fingertips on your temples.Do they still make you lie on your back with your feet in the air these days?

I f**king hated that.But its a better way to strengthen your abs.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
Sit ups only work the top four abdominal muscles not the bottom two and the abdominal wall.Pulling the back of your neck is a big 'no no' place your fingertips on your temples.Do they still make you lie on your back with your feet in the air these days?

I f**king hated that.But its a better way to strengthen your abs.
Yea, same here. It is a better way to strengthen your core....
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.