armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Private

Default Help!?

I am very new to this community and am proud to say that I have 2 sons who are serving in the Army. One graduating AIT next week and the other leaving for basic next week.. Hooah!

However.... my oldest son enlisted in the reserves a year ago (not one of the two sons mentioned above) He left basic training on Con leave for 30 days and never returned. I have tried to talk him in to turning himself in, but he refuses. Always making excuses and changing when he will take care of it.

He is now married with a 2 week old child. What can I do to get him to do what's right by his family and his Country? What should we expect if he ever decides to do the right thing.

Needless to say, this is an embarrassment since he has chosen to walk away from his Country and his responsibility. Can anyone help give me some direction?

Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default re: HELP

I dont know what is going through your Son's mind but if he was my Son this is what I would do. Call the local recruiter's office and tell them where and when they can find him. Let them handle it. He has deserted and he will always be a criminal until this is resolved. The most that will probably happen to him is he will get a slap on the wrist and be dishonorably discharged. He will be looking over his shoulder his whole life until he takes care of this. Imagine him 20 years from now at his great job and all of a sudden the Police show up at his place of work and cuff him up and say out loud for all to hear " YOU ARE UNDER ARREST FOR DESERTION FROM THE U.S. ARMY DURING A TIME OF WAR!!" Yeah that will look good on his next resume...not to mention the impact on his children and spouse!. Tell him to MAN-UP and do the right thing!!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymomof2 View Post
I am very new to this community and am proud to say that I have 2 sons who are serving in the Army. One graduating AIT next week and the other leaving for basic next week.. Hooah!

However.... my oldest son enlisted in the reserves a year ago (not one of the two sons mentioned above) He left basic training on Con leave for 30 days and never returned. I have tried to talk him in to turning himself in, but he refuses. Always making excuses and changing when he will take care of it.

He is now married with a 2 week old child. What can I do to get him to do what's right by his family and his Country? What should we expect if he ever decides to do the right thing.

Needless to say, this is an embarrassment since he has chosen to walk away from his Country and his responsibility. Can anyone help give me some direction?

As a former MP, its best that he turns himself in than to have law enforcement or military chasers get him. All he needs to do is to go to any base or recruiting office and explain the situation. He mostly likely will be officially discharged (not a dishonorable) but an other than honorable discharge. Again, it will bring peace to mind than now having him in the system as an AWOL/Deserter. If he gets pulled over by a cop for a traffic violation, his name will come up and he will be arrested.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:13 PM
Second Lieutenant

I'd tell him to turn himself in. Like wolq said, it's better to turn yourself in than be chased by the military.

I, however, would not turn him in. It is his life, his business, and he should make his own choices.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Private

Thanks to all for the advice... unfortunately I have spoken with his recruiter as well as his recruiters superior and was informed that he goes to the recruiting office on a regular basis. They only told me if I wanted it taken care of to call the County Sheriff.

Part of me feels that I should turn him in, because what he has done is so against my beliefs. It's not only embarrassing for me, but needless to say, to his two brothers who LOVE this Country and the Army. I just feel that it isn't my place to make that call. I have a beautiful grand daughter who will pay for his mistakes if he doesn't get this taken care of now.

We haven't spoken in months because I kicked him out of the house when I got the letter saying he was officially declared a deserter and refused to go back..... there were a lot of lies about why he was home for so long before getting it.

My heart breaks because of this. I try to just be happy for and proud of the two doing the right thing, but this weighs heavy on my mind and my heart.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:36 PM
Private First Class

What does his wife think, maybe you could talk to her and she could get him to turn himself in. Im sure she does not want him to be arrested one day. I know if it was my husband i would get him to turn himself in.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Sergeant First Class

makes no sense that he will go to a recruiters office and they will do nothing. anyway, here are my MP pics. Show it to him and perhaps he get afraid and turn himself in.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Brigadier General

Sedan? thats new... our MP's go around in deep mil green VW transits..

Old 04-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Private

Well, I posted a reply but it didn't seem to show up.... the gist of it was that the pictures may not scare my son but they impressed me! lol

Joslyn.. as for his wife, she is of no help either.

The recruiters say it's not their job to turn him in and just let him hang out there... I told them I thought that was terrible.

I guess I have no choice but to let him make his mistakes and hope my grand daughter isn't old enough to remember when they haul her daddy off. I'm sure 38 isn't old enough for me to have kids of these ages with these problems.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Brigadier General

hmh... yeah..

lets think for a second that im enlisting because of my parents which preasure me to fill out the forms
while i know there might be something wrong within the government it self... what would i do?