armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 04-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to lilyOhio
Default does the army make empty promises?

so, in my journey to possibly enlist in the army i am hearing a lot from people saying that the army doesnt have to keep any promises they make to you. my sisters boyfriend joined and has his mos changed on him. he was told he would be a tank repairer and then they said, no, you will be infantry now. do they do this often? how can i make sure i get the mos i want? unlike him, i will have a college degree. does how you score on the asvab put you in a better position for getting and securing a mos?

also, when telling my parents i wanted to join, my dad kind of freaked out and said the army would break my spirit and totally change who i am. i expect i will grow a lot and learn about myself, but i dont expect a personality change. how do i respond to this? has anyone who has been in the military felt like they have been changed for the worse/better? i understand his concern because i will probably be around a lot of high school kids with significantly lower maturity levels than myself, and this does worry me a bit.''i just dont know what to expect. any help is appreciated. thanks

Old 04-19-2009, 01:16 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
does how you score on the asvab put you in a better position for getting and securing a mos?
scoring higher will give you more potential options for your MOS, but still needs to be an opening for the MOS.

Quote:
i will probably be around a lot of high school kids
everyone you will come in contact with will be out of high school.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:08 AM
Brigadier General

When MOSs are promised there are several factors involved. Say for instance that a potential recruit is promised a particular MOS in February. He hems & haws about going to MEPS until May. Only a few months. But starting in May all of the people who will graduate H.S. & college are starting to enlist. Now he sits down with the MEPS counselor & finds that his MOS is all filled up, no slots available.

Another case. His Recruiter didn't give him a practice ASVAB so he doesn't know where he stands. He checks the MOS availability & finds all kinds of openings. The prospective recruit takes the ASVAB but he just sqeaked by with a score of 31. He needs a score of 50 to get that MOS. (Actually it's a little more complicated than that but for illustration purposes it'll do)

Now we take Recruit "C". He scores well on the ASVAB, there are slots available for his desired MOS, is promised that he'll go in with it & all of a sudden his background check comes through. It's discovered that he has offenses that will prohibit him from getting a security clearance. His MOS requires one. Strike three - he's out.

These are all just examples & may be not exactly accurate but I think you can see why a "promised" MOS might not be available.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Sergeant

thanks to the above posters.

ok, so in my case, i have taken a practice ASVAB (got a 61) and i know my background is clean. i will be graduating in june. i really want MP or unmanned aerial vehicle op. i dont plan on committing until fall-ish to appease my dad (if i decide to at all). would the delayed entry program help me secure the mos i want?

also, does it matter what your score is if you got above a 50? i have been looking into the practice ASVABs, but if it doesnt matter i dont think i would bother.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:04 AM
First Lieutenant

DEP will not affect your MOS. Once you have signed the contract your spot is reserved. You will know when/where/how long you will be at basic and AIT.

I would still study for the ASVAB no matter what. Getting a 50 overall, doesn't mean you will have the score you need in a certain area to obtain your MOS. The line scores are what matter...I don't really know how to explain to you how line scores work.

As far as the MOS' you are interested in. MP would probably be more likely than UAV, seems that is a position thats sought after and usually the people who get it don't seem to leave. LOL Not to say it can't happen.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
also, does it matter what your score is if you got above a 50? i have been looking into the practice ASVABs, but if it doesnt matter i dont think i would bother
you can google some free practice tests and/or buy some asvab prep books. The extra preperation cant hurt, and should improve your score.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Private First Class

My husband scored a 96 on his ASVAB. When he went and spoke with the recruiter they promised him all sorts of things, one being that since he scored so well he would receive the maximum bonus, the other that he could have the job he wanted. He left for meps a month after we first started talking to the recruiter, came back with a signed contract that was not at all what we expected. He did not get the job they said he could have nor any of the other things the recruiter promised. I have talked to many other people who said the same thing happened. My advice would be to not take the recruiters word for it, they are salesmen.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslyn147 View Post
My husband scored a 96 on his ASVAB. When he went and spoke with the recruiter they promised him all sorts of things, one being that since he scored so well he would receive the maximum bonus, the other that he could have the job he wanted. He left for meps a month after we first started talking to the recruiter, came back with a signed contract that was not at all what we expected. He did not get the job they said he could have nor any of the other things the recruiter promised. I have talked to many other people who said the same thing happened. My advice would be to not take the recruiters word for it, they are salesmen.
The MOS is promised for that very day. A month later can make all the diiference in the world. The Recruiter's computer showing MOS availability may not be updated as often as the MEPS Counselor's.

I've told so many people that if they really want a particular MOS & it's not available then don't sign. Sometimes you might have to wait several months before it becomes available

In my son's case he tried inlisting for Infantry/Airborne/Ranger in August. It was a no-go. He waited until late December & got exactly what he wanted & even got a $10,000 bonus for Infantry & another $5000 for Ranger. What was a filled MOS now became a bonus MOS. Needs of the Army trumps everything else. Had he enlisted into the DEP in late winter the year before he would have had a reservation for everything he wanted regardless when he shipped to basic within a year of signing.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:34 AM
Sergeant First Class

You dont want a promise broken or a case to a breach of contract then get everything you want in writing that is listed in your enlistment contract. If its in there, you covered. Dont go by verbal agreements or handshakes. You want to change and grow up; then learn how to negotiate and nothing wrong with bringing your parents in while your recruiter wheels and deals with you.

the military changed me....but for the better.

I served as an MP in garrison and combat and was a border patrol agent so if you have any MP questions; feel free to ask. Also air assault qualified but that is getting too high speed.

Last edited by wolq; 04-20-2009 at 04:42 AM..

Old 04-20-2009, 11:04 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
I've told so many people that if they really want a particular MOS & it's not available then don't sign. Sometimes you might have to wait several months before it becomes available
so are you saying i should go through everything, ASVAB, MEPS, etc. first, then talk about MOS's? i was kind of planing on going through that whole process in that order. I am almost positive i will be joining if everything goes according to plan unless some miracle job pops up for me between now and graduation(yeah right, lol). also, because i am graduating and i expect there to be many grads in my position, should i go ahead with everything while i am still in school or wait till this summer/fall to sign?

i also have to work on convincing my dad i am not throwing my degree away...