armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 04-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Private First Class

Default RIP / ROP Training Certificates?

Hello,
I could very well be attending ROP (Ranger Orientation Program), followed of course by Airborne school (Thank God, FINALLY!) and possibly RIP afterwards. Does anyone know if there a certificate given for completing ROP and another certificate for completing RIP? I'm asking this because should I given the oppurtunity to venture down that challenging and rewarding road but later decide to do something else (say SFAS/Q-Course, etc.), would I have some paperwork backing those two trainings (ROP & RIP) as completed?

V/R,
~SSG K

Old 04-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG K View Post
Hello,
I could very well be attending ROP (Ranger Orientation Program), followed of course by Airborne school (Thank God, FINALLY!) and possibly RIP afterwards. Does anyone know if there a certificate given for completing ROP and another certificate for completing RIP? I'm asking this because should I given the oppurtunity to venture down that challenging and rewarding road but later decide to do something else (say SFAS/Q-Course, etc.), would I have some paperwork backing those two trainings (ROP & RIP) as completed?

V/R,
~SSG K
What the **** are you talking about? RIP and ROP are the same, they just have different rank requirements. You will not attend RIP if you attend ROP .. and you wouldn't attend RIP if you attend ROP.

As an E-6, you'll attend ROP. If you pass, you'll be assigned to the 75th Ranger Regt.

For someone about to try out for batt, you sure are ate up on your knowledge. Do more research.

Last edited by Tacky; 04-15-2009 at 09:38 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Private First Class

Don't hurt yourself with all that personality champ. You are right, RIP is for E-4 and below, while ROP is for E-5's and above. I should have said "possibly attending Ranger School," instead. I know that upon completion of Ranger School grants the "G," ASI as well as the coveted Ranger Tab. However, I have yet to receive an answer to the matter of training completion certificate for ROP (and RIP, since some of my own soldiers are curious as well now their possible futures), from you. How about you point me in the right direction hero? For someone quick to pass judgement, you don't seem to carry much in the aiding and guidance side of the house, hopefully it doesn't reflect your style of leadership, if any.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG K View Post
Don't hurt yourself with all that personality champ. You are right, RIP is for E-4 and below, while ROP is for E-5's and above. I should have said "possibly attending Ranger School," instead. I know that upon completion of Ranger School grants the "G," ASI as well as the coveted Ranger Tab. However, I have yet to receive an answer to the matter of training completion certificate for ROP (and RIP, since some of my own soldiers are curious as well now their possible futures), from you. How about you point me in the right direction hero? For someone quick to pass judgement, you don't seem to carry much in the aiding and guidance side of the house, hopefully it doesn't reflect your style of leadership, if any.
Wrong again, wannabe.

E-5s attend RIP as well.

E-6 and above attend ROP.

And if you're attending ROP, you'll go straight from there to pre-Ranger to Ranger School then to your BN. Why? Because you won't be leading Rangers without having that school under your belt. It's a requirement in the 75th.

Oh, and the "G" is for legs that attend Ranger School. If you're going through ROP, you'll be Airborne qualified.

Sounds to me like you're just hunting for badges, unfortunately, ROP won't give you one. Attending ROP won't mean a thing when you drop an SFAS packet either, so don't worry about a "certificate," you'll get what you need for your "I Love Me Wall." Having been a Ranger will matter far more .. but that will just mean the SFAS cadre will hold you to a higher standard.

My leadership abilities started in the Ranger Regt. and have carried me pretty far in a career that you've only begun to dream about. Your "You hurt my feelings" whining about the harshness of my post will ensure you do not make it through ROP. As an E-6, you should KNOW this information already because you SHOULD have the motivation to research it and you should have the SA to ensure the questions you're asking and comments you're making are correctly written.

Either you man up and learn to handle it .. or you stop wasting time and perhaps look into something else. You aren't trying out for the boyscouts .. and you will not be welcomed with a red carpet into the Regt. An E-6 coming into the Regt. is not going to be welcomed lightly and you will have a very long and difficult road in proving yourself to Rangers that are younger, less in rank but have far more experience than you do. Get thick skin now.

Last edited by Tacky; 04-15-2009 at 10:37 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
Brigadier General

And as I understand it you have the courses reversed. I'm sure Airborne School first & then ROP. That's the way they work it for guys going to RIP. No jump wings, no 75th or RIP or ROP. It wouldn't make sense for them to send someone to RIP or ROP & then bust Airborne School. Believe it or not there are some guys that freeze in the door & refuse to jump or are just plain unadaptable.

I'm sure you couldn't know but Tacky is a MSG (unless he got promoted) & has been a valuable member of the 3rd Ranger Batt & now has exchanged his tan beret for a green one some time ago. Maybe a little respect to a senior NCO is in order, SSG. You're going to have to have a lot thicker skin than that when ROP Instructors & RS Instructors start berating you just for being alive & being there. And then do one little thing wrong...wooee!! They may give a little slack to a PV2 in RIP or a PFC in RS when he cycles through leadership positions but never an NCO in ROP. Leading Rangers is a huge job & as soon as you get the Tab that's exactly what you'll do.

My son is an Army brat & even though he's heard some nasty cuss words out of me he said he learned a whole new vocabulary of them in RIP & even more in RS mostly directed at him even though he didn't do anything wrong & was never recycled. He said there was a whole new level if someone erred. I don't normally do that much cussin' but I've had my moments.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Corporal

Sorry to bring up this thread, but I did not want to make a new topic for my questions on RIP. I searched this forum and google, but I am not very computer savvy, so please excuse me if my questions have been covered.

Does RIP require a 'Secret' security clearance? As a immigrant, and only a permanent resident, I was not able to obtain a 'secret' upon my enlistment. I also do not poses a high school diploma/ged(I am not uneducated, just saw dropping out as an opportunity to help with family problems.) Due to my situation, upon enlistment I was closed off to all but two job opportunities, 11x and 19d. I scored a 75 on my ASVAB with a 120GT and all other line scores above 100. I took 11x with option 4(Airborne School), which I am happy with, and will be sent to Prep School to gain my GED before Basic. After evaluating my situation, would it be even possible to get RIP in my contract. If so, would you gents recommend, in the four months before I ship, attempting getting it 'written' into my contract?

I am aware I am asking for a lot given to me, but you must understand I had all the jobs I would have liked, stripped from me(I accept responsibility for the GED aspect), so I would like to milk as much as i can get. I appreciate any help I get, weather its insulting or motivational, as long as I get the info I need.

-Tim

Old 04-20-2009, 02:12 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertRankHere View Post

Does RIP require a 'Secret' security clearance? As a immigrant, and only a permanent resident, I was not able to obtain a 'secret' upon my enlistment. I also do not poses a high school diploma/ged(I am not uneducated, just saw dropping out as an opportunity to help with family problems.) Due to my situation, upon enlistment I was closed off to all but two job opportunities, 11x and 19d. I scored a 75 on my ASVAB with a 120GT and all other line scores above 100. I took 11x with option 4(Airborne School), which I am happy with, and will be sent to Prep School to gain my GED before Basic. After evaluating my situation, would it be even possible to get RIP in my contract. If so, would you gents recommend, in the four months before I ship, attempting getting it 'written' into my contract?

I am aware I am asking for a lot given to me, but you must understand I had all the jobs I would have liked, stripped from me(I accept responsibility for the GED aspect), so I would like to milk as much as i can get. I appreciate any help I get, weather its insulting or motivational, as long as I get the info I need.

-Tim
I am currently active duty Army thats served with the 101st and know alot of soldiers with Ranger tabs. What I know of is that you do not need a secret clearance to go to the school.

Here is their website if you want to poke and do some more research.

[url]https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/rtbmain.asp[/url]

Old 04-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Corporal

Thanks Wolq, I appreciate your help, but unfortunately I have been unable to access that site. Along with a handful of other military website. So I'm guessing it has to do with my computer.

So, I am still looking for any information anyone has, personal experience would be great.

Thanks,

Tim

Old 04-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Thanks Wolq, I appreciate your help, but unfortunately I have been unable to access that site. Along with a handful of other military website. So I'm guessing it has to do with my computer.

So, I am still looking for any information anyone has, personal experience would be great.

Thanks,

Tim
I just clicked the link and the page open up. What do you use to browse? Internet Explorer or Firefox? Let me know what you use and I can help you.

this is the pic that shows up on the main page. just make sure you have to accept the certificate
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pix1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	423  

Old 04-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:

Thanks,

Tim
You can try to get Option 40 added to your contract last min. but most likely that won't happen. Your best option is to attempt to volunteer while you're in airborne school.

That will mean contacting the Ranger liason, ensuring he knows your deep rooted desire to become a Ranger and nothing else. If there are slots, he'll get your orders changed for RIP. You'll have to do the leg work and probably bug the **** out of a few Rangers, but if you want it badly enough .. you can make it happen.