armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Money and Finance
User Name
Password

Old 04-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Sergeant

Question Reimbursement...

Hi everyone! I hope all of you are well. I had a few questions that hopefully some of you might be able to answer

I believe I read somewhere that if you transport your soldier to AIT in your POV he is reimbursed for his expenses only Is that true? If so how does my husband request his reimbursement?

Also, if my husband is coming home after AIT for hometown recruiting, does he have to pay for his travel?

Thank you in advance for your responses! Have a great day!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Sergeant

Anybody know the answer to this???

Old 04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiHer82 View Post
Anybody know the answer to this???
i sure don't!

Old 04-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinhim View Post
i sure don't!
When he gets to AIT, he will do a travel claim (check the orders on what they say as well). Now he should receive money on the days it need to travel and the distance (mileage). He will not get reimbursed for gas but maybe tolls. On his claim, he will list POV as the mode of travel. (this is the form [url]http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd1351-2.pdf[/url] ).

Of course the money will be disbursed to him but whatever you decide and agree between the two of you is a different story.

Also with hometown recruiting, the recruiting commander should give him the info so he is reimbursed for his incidents and travel. I did special hometown recruiting but I was given travel orders before I started. Sometimes with hometown recruiting, you just start it while you home on leave so you usually pay first then get reimbursed later.

there should be someone in his immediate chain of command that should give him the current guidelines.

here are the recruiting links.

[url]http://www.usarec.army.mil/support/downloads/HRAP%20SOP%20OCT%2007.pdf[/url]

[url]https://www.usarec.army.mil/hrap/soldierapp/SRAP_FAQ.doc[/url]

Old 04-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolq View Post
When he gets to AIT, he will do a travel claim (check the orders on what they say as well). Now he should receive money on the days it need to travel and the distance (mileage). He will not get reimbursed for gas but maybe tolls. On his claim, he will list POV as the mode of travel. (this is the form [url]http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd1351-2.pdf[/url] ).

Of course the money will be disbursed to him but whatever you decide and agree between the two of you is a different story.

Also with hometown recruiting, the recruiting commander should give him the info so he is reimbursed for his incidents and travel. I did special hometown recruiting but I was given travel orders before I started. Sometimes with hometown recruiting, you just start it while you home on leave so you usually pay first then get reimbursed later.

there should be someone in his immediate chain of command that should give him the current guidelines.

here are the recruiting links.

[url]http://www.usarec.army.mil/support/downloads/HRAP%20SOP%20OCT%2007.pdf[/url]

[url]https://www.usarec.army.mil/hrap/soldierapp/SRAP_FAQ.doc[/url]
Great info!! Thank you so much for taking the time to look that up for me. I appreciate it very much

Old 04-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Sergeant First Class

When I was at ftlw I went to finance and signed up for dla (dislocation allowance)and got that on my paycheck when I was at home before I went to my duty station now when I got to reception here they paid me for milage from ftlw to fsga not from flw to home to your duty station and they also reimbursed me for hotel rooms up to 10 days because I stayed in a hotel till I got my base housing for you it will be different because he is going to korea so tell him to check with his platoon sgt to see what they can do plus he should be getting a brief soon on going overseas.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:29 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty32 View Post
When I was at ftlw I went to finance and signed up for dla (dislocation allowance)and got that on my paycheck when I was at home before I went to my duty station now when I got to reception here they paid me for milage from ftlw to fsga not from flw to home to your duty station and they also reimbursed me for hotel rooms up to 10 days because I stayed in a hotel till I got my base housing for you it will be different because he is going to korea so tell him to check with his platoon sgt to see what they can do plus he should be getting a brief soon on going overseas.
What is DLA for? Did you come home for hometown recruiting? Did they make you come back to ft. leonard wood after your leave to go to your duty station? My husband seems to think that he may have to fly back to ft. leonard wood after his leave and from there fly to South Korea, which doesn't make any sense because we live in so cal which is a lot closer to Korea than ft. lw

Old 04-24-2009, 11:35 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiHer82 View Post
What is DLA for? Did you come home for hometown recruiting? Did they make you come back to ft. leonard wood after your leave to go to your duty station? My husband seems to think that he may have to fly back to ft. leonard wood after his leave and from there fly to South Korea, which doesn't make any sense because we live in so cal which is a lot closer to Korea than ft. lw

[url]http://www.militaryconnection.com/2009-pay-charts/dislocation-allowance.asp[/url]

there is your definition. Hometown recruiting means you work in your hometown lol. If your husband is going overseas, he will coordinate with the representative at his losing duty station that works out his flight arrangements (travel). Is he doing his tour with your or without you? Regardless, he can pick the place where he wants to fly out of but which still has to be the most cost effective way for the government for him to fly. When I flew overseas twice, (on one ocassion) I flew out from the terminal that was most convenient after I shipped my car. For example, when I was stationed at Fort Campbell, KY and was going overseas to Europe, depending where I decided to ship my car from, I could of left from St Louis, Missouri or Atlanta, Georgia. And I was responsible for getting my butt and/or my family with me. Orders section gave me the documents I needed to get no-fee passports for my family and them listed on my orders to travel with me and their EFMP screenings to go overseas. Point is, your husband will have a big brief on what his options will be and how they will be coordinated when its time to PCS.

Basically the only times you get babysitted by the government to travel is when you ship to basic training, AIT as a Split-OP or to certain AIT schools. Other than that, you responsible for getting yourself to point A and B. I was laughing last year at Fort Gordon because I was getting my tickets to go overseas and some female private shows up in civilian clothes saying that her leave has expired and she is trying to get new tickets to fly out to Hawaii. The first thing the rep said, "Sweety, you are AWOL!". lol Its up to your to get to your destination by the date your leave expires. If you have a personal issues that is going to make you arrive late, you better contact (usually listed on your orders or leave form) a Army representative immediately (not the private down the street lol) that will square you away and help you. You can always go to a recruiting station as well if you have issues at home and dont know who to contact to explain. Sorry that I went off tangent.

Last edited by wolq; 04-24-2009 at 11:43 AM..

Old 04-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Sergeant

Thanks for the interesting story I can only imagine that poor girls face when they told her she was AWOL

I'm trying to figure how DLA has anything to do with my husband. Would it be because there is no Army installation near by when he's doing hometown recruiting?

So far they haven't briefed my husband on anything about going overseas. He graduates from AIT in less than two weeks. I'm getting a little worried, because he doesn't even have his official orders yet. I really hope he doesn't have to fly back to Ft. LW. It would save us some extra $$$

I'm also going to assume we will not be on his orders once he gets them since we have not applied for Command Sponsorship.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Sergeant First Class

I was told when we where at ait in fort leonard wood that most troops with orders to go overseas fly out of st louis they will give you plenty of time to get ready plus he should get his brief real soon they ussally don't like giving orders to soon not everybody is responsible enough to hold on to them.
As for dla it is a dislocation allowance to help out with your travel arrangments for example rental cars hotel rooms etc it is a little extra money to help you get from point a to b.