armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Money and Finance
User Name
Password

Old 04-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Recruit

Question BAH during deployment for dual military

For who ever can guide me in the right direction-

I was just informed that while either my husband or I are deployed that the one deployed will no longer receive BAH due to not living in a house. My only issue with this is that every SM-SM couple I know receives their BAH on both ends through their deployments. So my question is does any one know where the regulations are that state yes/no on this issue or has more knowledge on the subject than myself.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Sm bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGlenn123108 View Post
For who ever can guide me in the right direction-

I was just informed that while either my husband or I are deployed that the one deployed will no longer receive BAH due to not living in a house. My only issue with this is that every SM-SM couple I know receives their BAH on both ends through their deployments. So my question is does any one know where the regulations are that state yes/no on this issue or has more knowledge on the subject than myself.
My wife and I were both active duty. When we recieved BAH only one of us was allowed to draw it. The Army said that the one with the highest rank( me) would be the one to draw BAH. I have never heard of both members drawing BAH.If you both are deployed then you will NOT recive BAH since the Army is providing housing and meals for you. It is just like when you move into base housing BAH stops. You also need to remember that BAH is not for the Soldier. The Army intended for BAH to assist a Soldier to care for his family.
Good Luck and God Speed on your upcoming deployment!

Old 04-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Sergeant First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmedik View Post
My wife and I were both active duty. When we recieved BAH only one of us was allowed to draw it. The Army said that the one with the highest rank( me) would be the one to draw BAH. I have never heard of both members drawing BAH.If you both are deployed then you will NOT recive BAH since the Army is providing housing and meals for you. It is just like when you move into base housing BAH stops. You also need to remember that BAH is not for the Soldier. The Army intended for BAH to assist a Soldier to care for his family.
Good Luck and God Speed on your upcoming deployment!
Sometimes, one member will draw full and the other one half but you must check with your finance office on specifics. But yes, recon is right. Our neighbors are dual military that are deploying together and they have to move out of base housing until they return. Its different than living off-post but again; address S-1 and finance.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Captain

You really need to check with how your unit is doing things. It will depend on your dependents and also whether you own a home or not. Each unit does things differently. When my husband and I were dual military there were times when we both kept it, times when we both lost it and times when one of us kept it. So you need to go to your prospective units and find out from them how they are going to work the BAH issue. If you own a home, they need to allow one of you to keep it because you still have to maintain that home. If you have dependents that again, one of you need to keep your BAH because you will need to continue providing support for them. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Sergeant First Class

wow I havent been a PFC since my Marine Corps days. I feel like I got demoted.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 PM
Brigadier General

Ah, the web, the great equalizer. I retired a MSG & here I am a BG. I wish that would be reflected in my retirement pay!
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.