armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Travel
User Name
Password

Old 08-29-2005, 07:12 AM
Sergeant First Class

Yomchi - probably best off with the AT&T suggestion. Buy them in the states and send them over.

As for finding time to call - that will depend very much on what your friends son does and where he is stationed for his tour. The FOB's are pretty bleak, but most have okay facilities for net/calls; Victory is, how us Brits would say, chusty, and he wouldn't have any problems calling from there in the most part. If he's stuck out on the roads - then its a bit of a different matter as a hot shower and meal is usually the most important thing when they visit a FOB!

Hope that helps

Old 09-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Mikey

Hi everybody,
I have my son with our troops in Irak for couple of months already and it really is pretty difficult to stay in touch. I think that calling from US to Iraq ia as important as the other way around and any good experience should be shared. I have tried AT&T, Verizon, MCI. They work ok but they are too expensive for me. Then i looked for prepaid calling cards over the internet. The offer is huge and it's in close relation with the number of "thieves". A lot of so called "telecommunications companies" that offer BS services and which sometimes don't work at all. Finally I heared about [URL=http://www.nobelcom.com/nobelcom/jsp/productselection/productselection.jsp?from_country=1&to_country=1&A FFN=495425304&x=160&y=21]NobelCom.com[/URL] . They have over 5 years in business and their offer is one of the best with low rates and good quality. What's most important is that their services really work!!! I'm using their services for over 3 months to stay in touch with my son and i'm totally satisfied.
Thx.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IraqNA is very good. It is about 150 USD for the phone, and to top the card costs between 10 and 30 USD. I recommend a phone for anyone deploying longer than a few months.

As for calling cards, Golden Card is the best rate you can find at 5.4 US cents a min. 186 mins for 10 USD and 372 mins for 20 USD. It also has no connection fee.

While NobelCom is pretty low, the cheapest you can get is 9.4 US cents per min.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Sergeant First Class

Send a message via Yahoo to arctcfightr

get him a at&t phone card with alot of minutes it costs about 20 unites or so just to call the us from iraq..at&t phone centers are all practicly every f.o.b. that is built up or has been there for awhile they also have iraqna wich is a new cell phone thing in iraq that he could buy from iraqies that work on his fob or from soldiers leving going home pluse the unit should have asat phone the soldiers shoudl be able to use at least once every month or so but i would say get a at&t phone card

Old 09-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctcfightr
get him a at&t phone card with alot of minutes it costs about 20 unites or so just to call the us from iraq..at&t phone centers are all practicly every f.o.b. that is built up or has been there for awhile they also have iraqna wich is a new cell phone thing in iraq that he could buy from iraqies that work on his fob or from soldiers leving going home pluse the unit should have asat phone the soldiers shoudl be able to use at least once every month or so but i would say get a at&t phone card
AT&T are too expensive. Better options.

IraqNA, as I said above, is about the best you can get over there for the price.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to futer_soldier Send a message via MSN to futer_soldier Send a message via Yahoo to futer_soldier
Cool

adding on to what tacky said hes right way to much money plus the Iraqies arnt that dumb, if they used AT&T and there at a secret base there postion might be located like that, and theres also MSN video mail out now

Old 09-29-2005, 07:57 AM
Corporal

Thumbs up Ya

tru tru tru i can totally agree with that and think there is also caller ID

Old 09-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Sergeant First Class

yea they might be listning on at&t.......but they know where almost all bases are already and remember comsec.....dont say important stuff over phone anyways.....and for iraqna sometimes they wont have acar for liek 2 months then they have alot....eithere way both is spendy and irqna signal is crap and..they might be listning on irqna if u think they are listning on at&t why not iraqna..?

Old 09-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Sergeant First Class

Talking

but if hes a FOBIT he wont have trouble calling..

Old 09-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IraqNa is still better than Thuraya and it's far cheaper. For the money, and singal, it is about the best option there - if you wish to go the phone route.

The point of not using AT&T cards are that they are expensive .. if it's just a phone card you want, there are far cheaper companies out there like Golden Card. Why pay a higher rate just because the card says AT&T? They all work.