armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Education
User Name
Password

Old 09-15-2005, 08:45 AM
Private First Class

Default Just a quick Question about High School?

Could I enlist and serve in the Reserves if I'm still Attending high school?

Amy Marie
Why is it that you look down on me? Why am I such a disgrace to you? Why do you hate me so much? This is what I have to choose. I know that you may miss me. I remember the promise I made to you too. But now that we're over, I know that this is what I want to do.

Old 09-15-2005, 01:01 PM
First Sergeant

Send a message via AIM to Chickenhawk Send a message via Yahoo to Chickenhawk

Hi, AmyMarie. If I remember correctly, one of the other members posted that you could attend Basic Training the summer between your Junior and Senior year. The only thing I can think of that you would have to do (aside from talking to a recruiter) is get parental consent, because you'll not be 18 yet. But as far as actively participating in weekend drill, I don't think so. But don't quote me on it.
"SOLDIER" I was that which others did not want to be. I went where others feared to go and did what others failed to do...At least someday I will be able to say that I was proud of what I was...a soldier. (excerpt) ---Captain George Skypeck, U.S. Army---

Old 09-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Private First Class

Lightbulb

WELL! I have my dad's consent but I need my mom's also. The thing is, yeah, she pays child support, but she never comes see me like the court order says. Is there any way I could work around that?
Amy Marie
Why is it that you look down on me? Why am I such a disgrace to you? Why do you hate me so much? This is what I have to choose. I know that you may miss me. I remember the promise I made to you too. But now that we're over, I know that this is what I want to do.

Old 09-16-2005, 10:49 AM
First Sergeant

Sorry, but you're into legal issues now. I have no knowledge in this area. Your father and his lawyer(s) should be the ones to deal with this issue. When it comes down to legal advice, this forum is by no means the place to turn.

I guess another questions would be, "Who has custody over you?" Is it joint custody, or does your dad have all the decision-making power and your mom only has visitation? How does that work? Do you really have to have your mother's consent?
"SOLDIER" I was that which others did not want to be. I went where others feared to go and did what others failed to do...At least someday I will be able to say that I was proud of what I was...a soldier. (excerpt) ---Captain George Skypeck, U.S. Army---

Last edited by Chickenhawk; 09-16-2005 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-20-2005, 06:58 AM
Private First Class

Angry

My mom has visitation rights, but she never even calls. My dad does all the decision making. My mom told me that they have joint custody. WHAT IS JOINT CUSTODY? when I lived with my mom my dad had to pay child support and he came and got me every other weekend. I'm so confused about all this! Why do things like this have to be so frustrating?!

Amy Marie

Old 09-20-2005, 11:54 AM
First Sergeant

Joint custody is just that, Joint Custody. Even though you live with one parent, they both have custody over you. Which means that they both are legally responsible for you. Even though your mom doesn't exercise her decision-making to an extent, you will most likely have to get her permission.

Why is it so complicated? Thank the lawyers, the courts, and the fact that so many marriages end in bitter disputes. Each party tries to get as much out of the divorce as possible, and the vast majority of the time, it is the man who ends up getting screwed. This is changing, but slowly. And the fact remains that parents use their child(ren) as human pawns to get what they want, or to make the other parent as miserable as possible. They either don't realize the impact that it is having because they are so caught up in the battle, or they don't care.

If your mom never contacts you, then I get the feeling that she's just holding on to the custody thing for selfish reasons. Your father may be able to file for sole custody, but I don't think it will be an easy process. More court dates and proof that your mother never even sees or contacts you would be in order, and your mother would have to be willing to give up custody, unless the court decides for her. She's already violating the settelment if she is obligated to see you and doesn't.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Private First Class

Unhappy

Another thing... My mom always threatened my dad that if he didn't pay child support, then she was going to turn him in. Well she her self is three or four months behind on child support. Couldn't she get in trouble for that?
I found out not long ago that the only thing my dad asked for out of the divorce was me. Then after 11 years my dad found out what my mom had been telling me since I could remember... She told me for so long that my dad never wanted me, I was a mistake, and my dad didn't love me. I tried for so long to put up with all of her bull **** but I just couldn't take it anymore. So I called my dad and told him that I wanted to move in with him. He said okay. A year went by and my mom was begging me to come home. I told her I didn't want to because I knew that things would be the same. She promised me that things would change... so I went back. A year went by and slowly things went back to the way they used to be. Slowly I felt like I was begginning to hate my very own mother. So I called my dad back, and here I am today. I just don't think that my mom will give up custody just so she can hurt my dad. But she needs to realize that not only is she hurting my dad, she's hurting me.

Amy Marie

Old 09-20-2005, 01:34 PM
First Sergeant

Yes, you're mom can get into trouble for not paying. And, I'm sorry to hear that you've been through what you have. Unfortunately, by the time your mother realizes (if she ever does) what she is doing, it'll be too late. Like I said, she's using you to get back at your dad, playing you against him. But no matter what she tells you now, you have lived with your father and now know the truth. You are well old enough to make your own decisions about the info you've been fed, and can draw your own conclusions.

I know exactly where you are coming from, and you have my sympathy. I had a best friend whom I don't even talk to anymore, but his ex-wife and the kids are still friends. Because I know the truth, I still talk to her. One of her kids is my God child. He spread a lot of lies about her to his friends and turned them all against her. I'm the only one that still talks to her. And, he is using the kids as pawns. But, they are old enough to see the light now, too.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:08 AM
Private First Class

I talked to some one from the national guard and he said that he's going to find out for me if I can enlist without my mom's consent. My mom actually called me last night and told me how my little sister and my uncle are doing. My little sister has a REALLY bad sprained ankle and my uncle had another heart attack. Surprise Surprise!
Amy Marie

Old 09-21-2005, 11:32 AM
First Sergeant

Good thinking. I should have mentioned talking to a recruiter to get an answer.

I'm sorry it took a tragedy for your mom to decide to talk to you. Hope they'll be ok.