armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 05-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Staff Sergeant

Question Need help for my daughter!

Well I need to cut to the chase here. My son-in-law is at Walter Reed with a injry that he recieved in Afghanistan. He was to come home on leave on or around the first of June. But they have now told him that is not going to happen.

Yes they have offered to fly her up there but she cant go, see she is 37 weeks and ready to bust. She can not travel.

She is crushed. He is upset as well. I feel so lost and dont know if there is anything that can be done to help her or him. She has not talked to any of his doctors and she feels like he s not telling her every thing.

Help anybody have any ideas that might help.

They got marrried in December and they have been apart more than they have been together, and now he is going to miss the birth of their child. Man life is real hard for a young couple these days.

Any information would be greatful.

Thanks,

MTOMOM

Old 05-18-2009, 04:07 PM
Captain

I'm sorry to hear about your son-in-law. I know they don't like to have anyone pregnant traveling this late but is there anyway that she can (get a doctor's note), she's going to a hospital, what better place can she be if she goes into labor?

Was he leave changed because of surgery or something like that? If it was just denied to be denied, contact the Inspector General's office. Also, your wife can request to talk to the doctor's to find out what is going on, there should be a liaison anyway contacting her keeping her updated on her husband since she is not able to be there.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Staff Sergeant

Well she is not sure who or how to get in touch with anybody... Any ideas how she would go about get a hold of somebody? Any help would be great thanks.

He said he was told because his eye is not better he can not travel. That dont make any since to me... but I can believe it. I am just going crazy worring about him and her too.

So any help would be great..

MTOMOM

Old 05-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Captain

(202) 782-3412 Try that number and see if they can direct you to someone who can help.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Sergeant First Class

Default Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtomom View Post
Well I need to cut to the chase here. My son-in-law is at Walter Reed with a injry that he recieved in Afghanistan. He was to come home on leave on or around the first of June. But they have now told him that is not going to happen.

Yes they have offered to fly her up there but she cant go, see she is 37 weeks and ready to bust. She can not travel.

She is crushed. He is upset as well. I feel so lost and dont know if there is anything that can be done to help her or him. She has not talked to any of his doctors and she feels like he s not telling her every thing.

Help anybody have any ideas that might help.

They got marrried in December and they have been apart more than they have been together, and now he is going to miss the birth of their child. Man life is real hard for a young couple these days.

Any information would be greatful.

Thanks,

MTOMOM
Depending on the extent of his injury he should be able to work it out with his doctors to get his care closer to home. You didnt mention if he was active duty or guard. Depending on his service the rules are different. I was Guard and when I was wounded in Iraq I was sent to Walter Reed and then on to Madigan Army Medical Center at Ft. Lewis Washington. I was there about 45 days when they allowed me to join the Army Community Based Healthcare Orginization. This allowed me to be at home while I recieved my medical care. I had to report for duty everyday at the local armory, but my primary duty was to make my Dr. appointments and recover from my wounds. I had 3 surgeries while I was home and there is no way I could have taken care of myself by myself. Without my wife there to feed,and wash me I wouldnt have made it. . If he is active duty, there has to be a way for them to at least allow him to come home for the birth of his child. Can he walk??Does he need extensive care?? If not then contact the Red Cross and explain the situation. They are excellent mediators on behalf of the Soldier.The Red Cross should be able to wrangle something for him as long as he can travel without help. Keep us posted and tell him he is in my prayers!! I definatly know what he is going through!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:30 AM
Staff Sergeant

THanks, for all of your help. The phone number helped her too. She was albe to talk to somebody and even talked to the doctor this morning.

He is going to be able to travel soon, We hope. He can get around by himself, it is his eye that is really messed up. He said a few other nicks and scrapes but he says over all he is ok. He can see out of his eye at all right now. It is a open wound. So as soon as it starts closing up he will be good to go.

He says he will make it home before the baby comes.. Atleast he is trying.

She is happy for now!!

Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM
Captain

So glad she got some answers, and I hope that he makes it home for the baby's birth!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Recruit

Many coaches and parents play the guessing game when it comes to determining when a physician should see an injured athlete. Use the following guidelines to help determine whether to send an athlete to see a physician.