Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Support our Families
User Name
Password

Old 03-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Private First Class

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4jeepchick4 View Post
i agree! but now the days will go by slow because it's coming up.... sorta like christmas lol.
BTW has anyone gotten a letter with one of the pictures the soldiers took in uniform? my boyfriend said that they'd done the pictures already and he was going to send me one but instead is keeping it a surprise
my husband said they had don epictures as well, and that he was going to send them to me. i dont know if he recieved them or not but i havent gotten any. I can not wait to see them i can only imagine how handsome he'll be in his uniform. and since on the BCT website i did not see any picts of him, it would be nice to have this one he is talking about

Old 03-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Private First Class

Unhappy

Thanks for info on memory books and I'll wait and not look. I've not heard anything about pics yet. I was told tho that you can get those made on Family Day as well.

Our last call from our son was about a week and a half ago. He said then that it would be his last and no more calls till Family Day.

Just FYI . . . I noticed a post about a case of Menengitis at Jackson AIT training. I believe it was a girl and that they have her quarantined. The post is near top right of the page if you want to read it [URL="http://www.jackson.army.mil/"]HERE[/URL]

We received a letter from our son Sat. only to find out that he passed out during morning PT around 2/28 or 3/1. He was taken to sick hall and then transported to the hospital. Seems he was dehydrated, has pnenmonia and strep throat. He was in the hospital for 2 to 3 days hooked up to IV's for fluids and antibiotics. He was released the day before their final PT test. Fortunately he managed to just barely pass the run and has passed the test but said his time was horrible. He said the antibiotics do not appear to be working and that he had a 10 mile hike coming up and then Valley Forge. I think he was concerned that he wouldn't make it and might wind up back in the hospital.

I'm in total disbelief that this all happened and that nobody cared enough to let us know our son had been hospitialized!!!!!!!! I'm still wondering how in the H it got to that point and the drill sgt did not notice or care enough to tell him to see the doctor??? So much for all those statements about how they will take good care of your loved ones HA . . . BS!

So now I get to spend the next 9 days wondering if my son is back in the hospital, doing better or worse and there isn't a D thing I can do about it. NOT HAPPY!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 02:57 AM
Sergeant

I'm so sorry to hear what has happened to your son. I'm sure that must be nerve-wrecking not knowing what's going on. Have you tried calling the phone # for his company? Someone there should be able to inform you on what's going on with your son. But I'm sure he's ok. Especially if he was able to past his P.T. test. That just goes to show you how strong your son really is . And I'm sure he'll do fine at Victory Forge as well. He sounds like he's pretty tough.

Thank you for the link. It's kind scary when something like that happens. It seems like if someone has catched something, it spreads like wild fire amongst the trainees. My husband's company had a severe case of pink eye going around. Thankfully he didn't catch it. I'm a big germaphobe and it's kind of gross to think of all the stuff they can pick up there. Yuck!

Old 03-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Corporal

Sorry to hear about your son, hanson. I bet he is toughing it out.
The marketing for the National Guard on TV around my area, always made BCT seem tough but do-able. Now that I am hearing things from the inside, it is more like "BCT was H***, but that is what everyone goes through". Maybe they (Our soldiers) will be able to joke about it and have lots of stories when it is all through.
My husband said lots of soldiers in E company have the bad Flu, puking and stuff. They are giving them hand santitizer and helping them not share germs.
I am sorry that you did not get a phone call from your son when he was in the hospital.
One more week!!!!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:50 AM
Private First Class

Unhappy

Well I've been informed that you DO NOT CALL the base under ANY circumstances or the drill sgt will let your soldier have it BIG TIME!!!! So I don't dare call. My problem now is that due to the wonderful post office we got only 1/2 the letter and don't actually know now if he was put back in the hospital or is out?? To top it off, they now have a case of Menengitus at the base!

With the big scare and two kids dying at FLW I'm now unable to sleep or eat for worrying about my son.

I know I must sound like an idiot and a pitb but this is just not fun when you dont' get all the facts in the letter and are left to wonder about your child for the next 8 days.

Sorry, just need to vent I guess. It helps doing something.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanson View Post
Well I've been informed that you DO NOT CALL the base under ANY circumstances or the drill sgt will let your soldier have it BIG TIME!!!! So I don't dare call. My problem now is that due to the wonderful post office we got only 1/2 the letter and don't actually know now if he was put back in the hospital or is out?? To top it off, they now have a case of Menengitus at the base!

With the big scare and two kids dying at FLW I'm now unable to sleep or eat for worrying about my son.

I know I must sound like an idiot and a pitb but this is just not fun when you dont' get all the facts in the letter and are left to wonder about your child for the next 8 days.

mshanson,

I got this right off of the Ft. Jackson Website under FAQ's

Q. Who should I contact if my Soldier is sick or injured and I need to find out the status of my Soldier’s condition?
A. Contact the commander or first sergeant of the company to which your Soldier is assigned.

You have every right to call his commander and find out what's going on with your son. He's not married right? If not, then your the one responsible for him and your the one who needs to be informed about his condition. I'm almost positive they will not give him a hard time because you called to check on the status of your son. If you are afraid of that happneing, why don't you aproach it like this...Call his company. Explain the situation without giving your soldier's name. Ask them if inquiring about your son's health is in any way going to get him in trouble. I can pretty much gaurantee you they are going to say no. It's not like he had the sniffles and you want to see if he's ok. He was in the hospital! And on IV's! Call them Mshanson so you don't worry yourself to death. And no, you don't sound like an idiot. You sound like a concerened mom. But like I said before, I think your son is just fine. Good news is that today is the last day of Victory Forge or so I think. If it's not the last day it's one of the last days.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshanson View Post

i had the pleasure of the post office mutiliating one of my letters too... well they actually tore about half the envelope but the letter was fine... was it torn in the SC post office? did you get a nasty letter from them? the one i got was handwritten and highlighted it must have just ruined their day... sooo i sent it back to my boyfriend lol.

i think if there was something extremely wrong with your son, the base would definitely contact you. and if he couldn't graduate then i would definitely hope they would tell you so you didn't end up spending money to come see him and not be able to see him. i think pretty much everyone there is sick but they work through it because they want to get it done. a couple weekends when my boyfriend was unable to call, his mom and i were worried that he had gotten seriously hurt but i truly believe if they were hurt then the base would call to warn you that they might not graduate in time.

silly boys... jeeps are for girls!
mud, sweat, and gears.

"the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
PROUD ARMY GIRLFRIEND!

Old 03-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Recruit

Default no son....daughter

I have a daughter at Ft. Jackson with the National Guard. She is in A Company. Her graduation date is May 8.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Private First Class

Just as an update . . .

My son is ok and out of hospital. He was before we even got the letter lol. However, I did wind up calling when he didnt call as he had said he would. The Commander was VERY NICE and so was the next person I spoke with. HOWEVER . . . my son did wind up getting in trouble by the drill sgt and had to clean toilets till 2 am and be called a mommas boy for days. He was not a happy camper lol.

But at least he is feeling a LOT better now and looking forward to heading out to AIT on the 21st. He will love the warmer climate I'm sure!!!

3 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!