armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Help and Assistance
User Name
Password

Old 10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
Recruit

Default My goals. I need help and questions answered.

Hi there, I am a Junior in High school and a Freshman at my local community college at the same time (long story). I'm 17. Anyways, my ultimate goal is to either become a lawyer or work for the F.B.I. (law degree needed either way) Right now I am working on my transfer degree to WSU where I plan on getting my Bachelors in Political Science. I then decided that once I get that goal completed I would enlist in the Army. When I enlist, I want to do the 18x option due to the fact that I have always had the long standing dream of becoming a Ranger. So here are my first questions -

1.) Will my college dgree actually aid me here any? Like help me along faster or make that goal any more easily obtainable?
2.) If I didn't make it through the Ranger training would I then have to become infantry? I always decided that if I didn't make it I would change my MOS to an MP. Is that possible? Or do I have to be infantry until my enlistment is over?

So once my term is up in the army, I planned on going to law school. So here are my last questions.

1.) I know you get money for college when you enlist. So, would the money I get for college cover my student loans that I would already have withstanding? Pay for the law school? Or both?

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate any that you are willing to give.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:15 AM
General of the Armies

I am ExIrish Army, so I am afraid the technical details of your issue I cannot help you with. Sabre Oscar is on this site so I would contact him as his full time job is an Army Recruiter.... Failing that, I would talk to a recruiter in your area, have your questions written down like on this post, and he should be able to help you out. From what I know of the US Army Rangers, degrees wont give you any great edge. Its more about you as a person and your suitability to the Rangers.. Good luck with your search and your career decisions....

Old 10-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Recruit

Well I know a degree wouldn't actually make the training any easier, obviously. I'm just curious if it would give me a better chance of getting a training slot.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:44 PM
General of the Armies

Youll need to ask a recuiter as I am not US Army. I would write down all your questions like that and go see one about it.... Be firm in what you want to know from them as they will lead you into signing up otherwise.... They are a fountain of knowledge but military salesmen nevetheless... My own opinion would be that it wouldnt assist you greatly in getting a slot.... I believe you do aptitude tests, and thats where your academic abilities would be tested and matched against the roles on offer...

Old 10-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by My05Cavy View Post
Hi there, I am a Junior in High school and a Freshman at my local community college at the same time (long story). I'm 17. Anyways, my ultimate goal is to either become a lawyer or work for the F.B.I. (law degree needed either way) Right now I am working on my transfer degree to WSU where I plan on getting my Bachelors in Political Science. I then decided that once I get that goal completed I would enlist in the Army. When I enlist, I want to do the 18x option due to the fact that I have always had the long standing dream of becoming a Ranger. So here are my first questions -

1.) Will my college dgree actually aid me here any? Like help me along faster or make that goal any more easily obtainable?
2.) If I didn't make it through the Ranger training would I then have to become infantry? I always decided that if I didn't make it I would change my MOS to an MP. Is that possible? Or do I have to be infantry until my enlistment is over?

So once my term is up in the army, I planned on going to law school. So here are my last questions.

1.) I know you get money for college when you enlist. So, would the money I get for college cover my student loans that I would already have withstanding? Pay for the law school? Or both?

Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate any that you are willing to give.

1.) Your college education will be a big help. Officers school you must be educated.
2.) Yes you get a (slrp)...student loan repayment program...up to 20K. 3K a year plus intrest.
3.) I f you score higher then 50 on your ASVAB test you can choose any mos.
Infantry being one and MP being another.
4.) College is free. Once you sign your contract with the Army. You'll never pay for college again. Including room and board.
5. Bonus up to 40k to sign up...remember the better the education the better the perks.
All of this info is a fact.
I made sure I had everything in writting in my contract. My best friend is an Army recruiter and we went over everything before I signed. My family was Army Avaition military. I had the "heads up" with everything. Go to Army study guide .com...there will be a wealth of info.

Thank you for your intrest in the Army. Good luck dude. Hooah.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Last edited by Nightflyer; 10-22-2006 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-22-2006, 02:28 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
1.) Your college education will be a big help. Officers school you must be educated.
2.) Yes you get a (slrp)...student loan repayment program...up to 20K. 3K a year plus intrest.
3.) I f you score higher then 50 on your ASVAB test you can choose any mos.
Infantry being one and MP being another.
4.) College is free. Once you sign your contract with the Army. You'll never pay for college again. Including room and board.
5. Bonus up to 40k to sign up...remember the better the education the better the perks.
All of this info is a fact.
I made sure I had everything in writting in my contract. My best friend is an Army recruiter and we went over everything before I signed. My family was Army Avaition military. I had the "heads up" with everything. Go to Army study guide .com...there will be a wealth of info.

Thank you for your intrest in the Army. Good luck dude. Hooah.[/COLOR]
40k bonus for education??.... Crikey, I joined the wrong Army.... When I finished college, my Batt commander wanted to charge me for it.... his attitude was.... "Did the fancy education help you kick in doors??".... Haha.... no sir, you thought me that, in college, I learnt how to knock on them!!.... Needless to say, the second part was going through my head, and not said outloud...

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"

Old 10-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Brigadier General

Send a message via AIM to Nightflyer

Hooah. Exo!! nice.
U S A

Classic. And we get it.

Posted by... Nightflyer..Go get me a beer....
Posted by Zekos....get me one too b.itch Posted by... Exo1.Haha!!... good man!!.... .........yeah!!.... while your out there get me one too.....Posted by... SniperALpha1Corona with lime is the way to go. CAUSE THAT'S AMERICA *****!Posted by...Zidane Whiskey pl0x.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:32 PM
General of the Armies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightflyer View Post
Hooah. Exo!! nice.
Haha... yea, keep me laughing for a while afterwards.... lads thought I was weird in the mess hall... haha.. they wernt there... V funny!!....

"Illic est haud effrego ex Veneratio"