armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Life in the Military > Enlistment Information
User Name
Password

Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Recruit

Send a message via AIM to justinsicard Send a message via MSN to justinsicard
Question Relationships and Enlisting

I plan on enlisting soon. I've not had the best life so far. Not saying it's been the worst, but I seem to be going nowhere, and I want to make something of myself. The Army has become my answer to this problem. I love the respect returning soldiers get from their friends and family. I love the idea of coming home and having someone say, "I'm proud of you". My only problem is my fiance. She tells me she will stand by me in whatever I do, and she is willing to do whatever it takes for us to stay together, but she is very upset about my potentially being gone for a long while.

So if you've had this problem, a) how have you dealt with it? b) when and how can we live together after I enlist? and c) what are some ways I can possibly comfort her when it comes to this subject?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Staff Sergeant

Talking

#1 If she loves you like she says she does she will support the decision you make.
#2. Once you find out where you will be stationed you get extra $$ for housing also ( BAH )depending on if she is a wife or a dependant.
#3. You can advise her that she will be taken care of financially as well as having the safety of medical benefits along with many others, etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep this in mind also this is not a job this is a new life adventure you both will br reaping the benefits from. Career move at your young age is great!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck I hope I see a reply

Old 11-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsicard View Post
I plan on enlisting soon. I've not had the best life so far. Not saying it's been the worst, but I seem to be going nowhere, and I want to make something of myself. The Army has become my answer to this problem. I love the respect returning soldiers get from their friends and family. I love the idea of coming home and having someone say, "I'm proud of you". My only problem is my fiance. She tells me she will stand by me in whatever I do, and she is willing to do whatever it takes for us to stay together, but she is very upset about my potentially being gone for a long while.

So if you've had this problem, a) how have you dealt with it? b) when and how can we live together after I enlist? and c) what are some ways I can possibly comfort her when it comes to this subject?
Try to remember that the unknown is scary. She has no clue what to expect, she may not see the light at the end of the tunnel right away. Be sure to make her as much of the process as possible, include her in the decision making process. You want her to be a part of this then make sure she has a say in it as well. You've expressed your desire, have you heard yours. Yes, the military is a new adventure and if you have the right perspective one can thrive in it.

As far as living together, you will have to be married to reap any of the benefits from the Army. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Recruit

Send a message via AIM to justinsicard Send a message via MSN to justinsicard

She said she's ready and willing to handle everything that will come our way, and that she realizes this is something I really want. So, I really want to know how all the housing works. I know we have to be married for the benefits, but what kind of benefits are we talking about? We haven't set a date yet or anything, but I think we're going to wait and see where this all takes me before deciding on the date. I have friends that have joined and they come back smiling like I've never seen them before. It's inspiring to say the least. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of something so important to our country. I just can't leave her behind is all.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsicard View Post
She said she's ready and willing to handle everything that will come our way, and that she realizes this is something I really want. So, I really want to know how all the housing works. I know we have to be married for the benefits, but what kind of benefits are we talking about? We haven't set a date yet or anything, but I think we're going to wait and see where this all takes me before deciding on the date. I have friends that have joined and they come back smiling like I've never seen them before. It's inspiring to say the least. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of something so important to our country. I just can't leave her behind is all.
You don't have to leave her behind, the more support you have the better!

To receive housing or the housing allowance (BAH), you will need to be married (we already stated that). You will be authorized to live off post with your spouse upon completion of your all your training and once you are at your permanent duty station. If you marry before you head off to BCT you will receive a Family Separation Allowance starting your 31st day of Separation. Your wife will also receive medical benefits and access to the Post Exchange and Commissary.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Private

You've heard the pretty of it so I'll toss in my 2 cents.
The Army can be tough on a relationship, there will be times when you will be gone for a month while training or up to a year if deployed. The strain on relationships will depend allot on how strong you two are and the MOS you choose. If you choose a combat mos than expect to be away allot and working long hours.
The Army is great for stability, if you live on post you will have no rent, water or electric to pay. You will not receive BAH (Housing allowance) but you will receive BAS (Sustenence/Food) which is around 300 a month for enlisted soldiers. 9 times out of 10 you will have awesome neighbors, good life long friends and a strong community bond that will help you and your wife in tough times such as deployments.

What are you looking at for enlistment?

Tags
boyfriend, enlisting, fiance, girlfriend, relationships