armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 01-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Corporal

Send a message via AIM to CaMike140 Send a message via MSN to CaMike140 Send a message via Yahoo to CaMike140
Exclamation Forced enrollment???

Can my SGT make it a requirement that I enroll in college/civilian education or complete Army correspondance courses? Any help on this subject would be great... Thanks!

Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 PM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to scconwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaMike140 View Post
Can my SGT make it a requirement that I enroll in college/civilian education or complete Army correspondance courses? Any help on this subject would be great... Thanks!
sounds like a got SGT you need to get all you can from the Army and Hell a education is a good thing to have. Make the best of it.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Corporal

Send a message via AIM to CaMike140 Send a message via MSN to CaMike140 Send a message via Yahoo to CaMike140
Default Different Situation...

I wouldn't have any problem with it except that I am busy with a training program and trying to get married and don't want to overload myself because my brother is deploying tomorrow and I don't want to be overwhelmed. I am also getting out of the Army in less than 5 months and do not want to worry about trying to keep up with my classes and get everything setup to move my family. I have enough on my plate right now and just want to know if he has the legal authority to enforce that?

Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Corporal

Default ....

Where's the MSG at when you need him? This cadet obviously doesn't have any experience dealing with soldiers' lives yet....

Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Captain

No he can't force you to. He can counsel and recommend but as far as forcing you, he cannot legally do so.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Corporal

Default :)

Thank you much! best of luck to you in your career!

Old 01-05-2009, 07:27 AM
Brigadier General

He certainly can't force you to participate in any education programs. The only thing that you should be required to go to would be refresher courses that you need in your MOS. That's considered on-going training.

If he just has your welfare in mind then good for him! He can advise you what courses to take for career development or promotion possibilities. Maybe he'd like you to come out of the Army with some college credits.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
He certainly can't force you to participate in any education programs. The only thing that you should be required to go to would be refresher courses that you need in your MOS. That's considered on-going training.

If he just has your welfare in mind then good for him! He can advise you what courses to take for career development or promotion possibilities. Maybe he'd like you to come out of the Army with some college credits.
Well, I would think the same thing if that was the reason he is doing it but the real reason is because he just got pinned his E-5 in November and he is trying to flex his authority a little too much. He is requesting over 60 ACCP hours or 3 classes minimum in a civilian college. I think that is a little excessive for someone who is getting along alright but isnt completely stable as of right now. Ya know?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:50 PM
First Lieutenant

Send a message via AIM to scconwill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaMike140 View Post
Where's the MSG at when you need him? This cadet obviously doesn't have any experience dealing with soldiers' lives yet....
.......................piss off @$$hole..........I got a Green to Gold Soldier in my squad who is married, has a new born child, works as a police officer, and is going to nursing school. BTW he has been deployed 3 times. Don't give me the ****ing excuse you can't do something because your plate is full. hell its only 3 classes! I take 18 hours of class, work 25 hours a week, and serve as training NCO for my BN. I also have a relationship. Get a education dirt bag your SGT is doing you a favor!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scconwill View Post
.......................piss off @$$hole..........I got a Green to Gold Soldier in my squad who is married, has a new born child, works as a police officer, and is going to nursing school. BTW he has been deployed 3 times. Don't give me the ****ing excuse you can't do something because your plate is full. hell its only 3 classes! I take 18 hours of class, work 25 hours a week, and serve as training NCO for my BN. I also have a relationship. Get a education dirt bag your SGT is doing you a favor!
Just because you have someone in your squad who has all that going on doesn't necessarily mean that you have done anything for him. As you said, he is green to gold so he probably has more experience in dealing with things than you do anyway. As for the full plate business, some people have higher tolerances and can handle more business than others (you would know that from working with soldiers). You will find, with experience, that just because one person is doing so much at one time doen't mean that everyone is built to handle the same pressure or workload. I congratulate you on your classes, work hours, and position. I myself work 45 hours a week as an air traffic controller with an area of responsibility of the Caribbean, Central and South America. If that in its self isn't enough to rattle someones brain, I also have 2 trainees in my training program and am getting 2 more on the 10th. All this is on top of other soldier duties such as PT, maintaining my sections motor stables and serving as my sections supply NCO as a SPC. But thanks for trying again! Oh and if you're going to get heated about one person not liking your opinion on a forum where you don't even have to deal with a person in real life, then good luck making it in the real army. You're going to need it!