armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 06-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Recruit

Smile exercise regimen

Ok so right now i am fat guy, no joking around about it ..lol. i did Army JROTC when i was in high school and highly enjoyed it. I have considered multiple times about joining the army national guard. However the only thing keeping me out is my weight. I am 5'10 1/2" and i weight 252 depending on the day. i am trying to find a diet and exercise regimen that would effectively get my weight down. While pondering this predicament it hit me DUHHHHHHHHHHHH ASK THE PEOPLE IN THE ARMY! So here i am asking for anyones help but preferably a fitness instructor. In particular how many calories should i be taking in and what foods besides the obvious sweets and fast food should be avoided. Well thats why situation and question i hope to hear from someone soon.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:05 AM
Brigadier General

Well the way i see it mate....dont go for diets....95% of the time they dont work....not long term anyway..."Diet"surgests....losing the weight untill you meet your goal...and crash dieting is rubbish....most of the time people just pile it back on again....my sister did it..she lost the weight she wanted to then stoped...she ended up putting more back on after she had finished the diet....its about changing what you eat...and how you eat....and then sustain it.....what i would do is....

Eat proteins....(ie chicken..fish..steak...eggs....dont have them fryed though)
proteins should be the largest intake

Proteins bulid muscle.... witch is a fat burner in its self....the more muscle you have the better your body burns fat

Veggies.....you have to eat them....even if its only a few on the side of the plate...
they have massive amonts of vitamins and minerals.....key for staying healthy.....dont over cook them...try to eat them when they still have a crunch to them......if you over-cook them....you tent to lose most of the goodness

Now to carbohydrates....this is the tricky part....you need to find a balance...to many are bad....and too few can be just as bad....for any weight-loss plan....exercise is key...and to exercise well....you need carbs....but remember certan carbs....are storted as fat....and the body takes longer to burn them off....so that means more sweating....so dont take in to many
Fats....the body needs 90 grams of fat a day......but stay away from saturated fats

the issue of so called junk food...ie...pizza Maccy Ds.... crisps/chips....is an easy one....everything in moderation....if you stave yourself of these foods....thats when cravings kick in....and the mind makes them more inportant they they are....so if you have pizza...have 3 slices not 12

Old 06-29-2008, 07:29 AM
Brigadier General

Exercise......

For wieght loss....cardio- vascular is the only way to go...this means anythink that gets the heart and lungs working is good....sweating is key...if your sweating mate.....its working

i would go with running bike riding....or swimming....swimming is good because you learn breath control....and it works a bigger range of mucles

if running is out because of fitness levels....try fast walking untill your fintness levels increase....remember something is always better then nothing

also buld core strenght.....leg raise sit-ups...crunchies..will work fine

weight-lifting is a funny one....i would go with light weights more reps
unless you want to be "big".....if so then go with larger weights less reps....but lighter ones with more reps......bulds defination.....better IMO....remember musle size and sternght....isnt the same thing....better defintion....means you can sustain strenght for longer.....rather then just explosive power for a short period of time

Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Recruit

Red face well

I loathe running with a passion which begs the question "Why the heck are you wanting to join the army then???" The answer to that is i can deal with it . I started running a while back and by the end of the first week i got a job and was unable to continue my running. However before the end of the week i took my 1/2 mile time down from like 8 minutes to 4. For the army national guard your required to run the mile in 8:35 or less. So i think if i could double the distance i run with the same pace which is not really all that fast, i like having a good rhythm more than speed. I could qualify on that, the only other things is the weight which i will be continuing to work on.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2008 View Post
I loathe running with a passion which begs the question "Why the heck are you wanting to join the army then???" The answer to that is i can deal with it . I started running a while back and by the end of the first week i got a job and was unable to continue my running. However before the end of the week i took my 1/2 mile time down from like 8 minutes to 4. For the army national guard your required to run the mile in 8:35 or less. So i think if i could double the distance i run with the same pace which is not really all that fast, i like having a good rhythm more than speed. I could qualify on that, the only other things is the weight which i will be continuing to work on.

Trust me mate...i hate running...always have...but i wanted to be a soldier...so i had to crack on...means to an end....thats the way i saw it...as you lose the weight and your fitness improves...your time will come down...it wont happen over night...but over time youll get faster...and it will become easier

Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2008 View Post
I remember when I went to boot at Parris Island (USMC). I absolutely dreaded the run because I wasnt used to it. Sure I had ran before I left but it was only short distances. But over time, the running became easier and easier. It got to the point where I was running 3 miles in 17 minutes. To get 100 points on the PFT for the run, you had to do it in 18 minutes or less. Granted, I've never weighed over 170 pounds so I can say I had an advantage that you don't. But like jrj1000 said, cardio is the way to go for weight loss. Hell, I have a cousin that lost about 70 pounds running and going to the gym for those cardio classes. Everyone thought he looked stuoid when he first started those classes. He weighed close to 300 pounds when he started. Now he's a solid 230 and can almost keep up with me in the run. Not to mention he's a Senior Airman in the Air Force (E-4). So, it can be done with a little hard work and dedication. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Brigadier General

I never liked running when I was a kid & didn't care for it too much as an adult.

Having said that I still try to run 2 miles at least twice a week & five miles once a week even though I've been retired from the Army for several years. It gets in your blood & becomes a way of life. On the 2 milers I exceed the Army standard.

Matt, if you're between 17 & 20 years of age your maximum weight is 180# at 70" & 185# at 71".

You're the perfect weight for a male over 40 years old & 76" tall. or 78" tall & in the 17-21 year age group

Now it's up to you to figure out what's easier, aging & growing taller, stay the same age & grow even taller or lose 40-45 lbs!
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:35 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Glenn View Post
I never liked running when I was a kid & didn't care for it too much as an adult.

Having said that I still try to run 2 miles at least twice a week & five miles once a week even though I've been retired from the Army for several years. It gets in your blood & becomes a way of life. On the 2 milers I exceed the Army standard.

Matt, if you're between 17 & 20 years of age your maximum weight is 180# at 70" & 185# at 71".

You're the perfect weight for a male over 40 years old & 76" tall. or 78" tall & in the 17-21 year age group

Now it's up to you to figure out what's easier, aging & growing taller, stay the same age & grow even taller or lose 40-45 lbs!
It does get in your blood. My company sponsors a marathon team that runs in local marathons. We even have some that run in others across the country (at the own expense). I run the short distances with a few of them. Short meaning runs that don't exceed 6 miles. I dont run those distances all the time though. Usually about 3 miles every ohter day. The same as I did while in the Corps.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Private

I'm no officially licensed physical trainer but I will tell you that in my experience, people often neglect weight lifting as a viable source for burning fat and keeping a healthy weight. All too often, the emphasis gets placed on cardio and running. Running has great health benefits and is integral to overall shape. But in terms of burning fat they are very short term. Think about it. Running burns fat and calories only when you are running. If you stop running or can't run for long periods of time (injury, very busy work schedule etc) you are no longer burning calories. And the fat comes back and excess calories build up.

Building muscle mass has more long term fat/calorie burning capabilities. Muscles eat and need calories just to stay alive and grow. (i.e why do you think bodybuilders need to eat at 2-3 hour intervals daily? They need to do so to maintain their level of muscle mass and to grow more muscle) The more muscle you have in your body the more calories that get burned and that your body needs to sustain that muscle. Basically, up the muscle percentage of your body weight and you turn your body into a calorie burning machine. A more muscular body can burn more calories and uses those calories more efficiently. And here is the thing to remember: A muscular body keeps burning calories even when it is sedentary. Cardio only gives you a bang for your buck when you are actually running or doing cardio. Its a one hit score. You run on Monday you burn 800 calories and thats it. But the muscles in your body ensure a continuous burn of calories even if you take a week or two off from physical training. As long as the muscles are there they will feed off calories. You might burn a significant amount of calories that same Monday by just sitting on your ***.

You see it all the time at the gym. Especially with women trying to lose weight. They spend 90% on their time on cardio and 10% on weight training (and its usually a few hamstring exercises aimed at having a nice ***). What most beginners do not understand is that building muscle would actually make their fat loss easier and more sustainable.

Obviously to be in shape you need to balance between cardio and weight training. I'm not advocating dropping cardio. I'm just saying muscle mass often gets pushed to the side in favor of cardio.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:13 PM
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Roastbeef View Post
I'm no officially licensed physical trainer but I will tell you that in my experience, people often neglect weight lifting as a viable source for burning fat and keeping a healthy weight. All too often, the emphasis gets placed on cardio and running. Running has great health benefits and is integral to overall shape. But in terms of burning fat they are very short term. Think about it. Running burns fat and calories only when you are running. If you stop running or can't run for long periods of time (injury, very busy work schedule etc) you are no longer burning calories. And the fat comes back and excess calories build up.

Building muscle mass has more long term fat/calorie burning capabilities. Muscles eat and need calories just to stay alive and grow. (i.e why do you think bodybuilders need to eat at 2-3 hour intervals daily? They need to do so to maintain their level of muscle mass and to grow more muscle) The more muscle you have in your body the more calories that get burned and that your body needs to sustain that muscle. Basically, up the muscle percentage of your body weight and you turn your body into a calorie burning machine. A more muscular body can burn more calories and uses those calories more efficiently. And here is the thing to remember: A muscular body keeps burning calories even when it is sedentary. Cardio only gives you a bang for your buck when you are actually running or doing cardio. Its a one hit score. You run on Monday you burn 800 calories and thats it. But the muscles in your body ensure a continuous burn of calories even if you take a week or two off from physical training. As long as the muscles are there they will feed off calories. You might burn a significant amount of calories that same Monday by just sitting on your ***.

You see it all the time at the gym. Especially with women trying to lose weight. They spend 90% on their time on cardio and 10% on weight training (and its usually a few hamstring exercises aimed at having a nice ***). What most beginners do not understand is that building muscle would actually make their fat loss easier and more sustainable.

Obviously to be in shape you need to balance between cardio and weight training. I'm not advocating dropping cardio. I'm just saying muscle mass often gets pushed to the side in favor of cardio.
Good response. You sound like you know your stuff. With that being said, I have a question for myself. How does a person (myself) that has been trying to gain weight for 100 years actually do so? I'm about 165 now but I want to get to about 175 or 180. I don't want it to be fat though. I want it to be strictly muscle. There is the problem for me. I get discouraged when I go to the gym for X amount of time and dont see any difference in my body or the amount of weight I can lift. That's the biggest thing for me. Any suggestions?