armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Army.com General Discussions > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password

Old 02-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Private

Default wife would like info !!!

Im thinking about enlisting in the army, and my wife wanted to try and get some info on base life for families. Do most families live on base, off base? Are there multiple families in or around the base? Whats it like to have the kids there ? Does the housing allowance take care of alot? etc. Thank you for all the help and advice you can give !

Old 02-06-2005, 04:08 AM
First Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to Firefox
Default walkerfam

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerfam
Im thinking about enlisting in the army, and my wife wanted to try and get some info on base life for families. Do most families live on base, off base? Are there multiple families in or around the base? Whats it like to have the kids there ? Does the housing allowance take care of alot? etc. Thank you for all the help and advice you can give !
Well the housings depend on how big of a familly you have.. and there are from many kids to none. The life on base to what i know is good.. its safe and when your over seas there is a whole other family to take care of yours.. the allowance is good.. let me find somthing for you.. ill list a few links..

[url]http://www.gmhmilitaryhousing.com/[/url]

Basic Allowance for Housing
Your BAH will be used in one of two ways. You can either rent on post from Equity Residential, or you can live off base. If you live off base, you can either rent or buy.

A link [url]http://housing.army.mil/[/url]

[url]http://www.hqda.army.mil/acsim/fd/default.shtml[/url]

on the above clik on the top left links you will find what you need . if you need anything else please post and i will reply ..

Old 02-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Private

Thank you for your help with all the housing links. They were very good. I was wondering if anyone can give us some insight as to how family life is on base. How it go's. Is it like normal life plus, or is it totaly diffrent? Are there alot of families with kids? I currently have 2 and another on the way, so this is of course very important for my wife to have other kids, and military wifes around. Thank you again for all your help !!

Old 02-06-2005, 04:55 PM
Recruit

Send a message via AIM to sweetazkandy39

Altho I am new, i can help out. If you choose to live on base that is considered your housing allowance, pay grade is increased for each dependant. THere are alot of families on post and they seem to be good comunities. Altho for your wifes sake, soldiers feel like they never truly leave work. If you live off post, then you are granted a housing allowance that is based on the cost of living in that area. I hope i helped

Old 02-07-2005, 11:35 AM
Private

Send a message via MSN to TankersWife11 Send a message via Yahoo to TankersWife11

Hi,
I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I'll try. I am very new to the military and really got thrown into things. My husband and I do live on post and we fortunately got a pretty nice apartment. We live overseas in Germany, I'm not sure what housing is like in other areas, some can be nice, some not so nice from what I have heard. The main problem I have is that the military is my husbands career, not mine, so with living on post I feel kind of stuck. Once we get back to the states I do want a house off post so I can somewhat resume my civilian life. We don't have to pay rent or our utilities, so that is bonus. If you choose to live off post, you will get money to help cover rent or house payments. I'm not so good with the army lingo yet, so I can't tell you exactly what it is called, so please forgive me. You can always try living on post and if it doesn't work, then see about living off post. I hope that info helps you out a bit....at least coming from an army wife's standpoint.
~ Heidi

Old 02-07-2005, 04:39 PM
Private

TY for all the help people. I think we have finaly made our decision that it is going to be a very long and lonely 27 weeks for my wife ! I will have this forum bookmarked for her, so if she gets on, please be kind. Once again, thank you all !!!!

Old 02-16-2005, 05:27 PM
Private

Just enlisted the other day. Between my basic and AIT it is gonna end up being about 20 weeks. I didnt get the MOS that I wanted, but I got something close enough. I ship May 23, and should be home for my daughters b-day ion holloween, and our anniversary on november 11th. Thanks again to you all for your help.