armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > Share Your Stories
User Name
Password

Old 01-03-2005, 01:47 AM
Private

Smile What is an Army Ranger?

I have a friend who is an army ranger and I was wondering what type of things they do. I know that a lot of things are probably secret and he cant tell me but I was wondering if anyone on here would know.

Old 01-03-2005, 03:08 AM
First Sergeant

Send a message via MSN to Firefox
Post golfgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgirl_11
I have a friend who is an army ranger and I was wondering what type of things they do. I know that a lot of things are probably secret and he cant tell me but I was wondering if anyone on here would know.

Sure why not..

Mission

"CONDUCT RANGER AND RECONNAISSANCE AND SURVEILLANCE LEADER COURSES TO FURTHER DEVELOP THE COMBAT ARMS RELATED FUNCTIONAL SKILLS OF OFFICER AND ENLISTED VOLUNTEERS WHO ARE ELIGIBLE FOR ASSIGNMENT TO UNITS WHOSE PRIMARY MISSION IS TO ENGAGE IN THE CLOSE COMBAT, DIRECT FIRE BATTLE"

Pathfinder Operations Civil Affairs (CA) Unarmed / Hand-to-Hand Combat Laser Target Designation

Languages
Night Fighting Communications
Survival, Evasion, Resistance, and Escape (SERE)
Parachuting (HALO/HAHO) Engineering / EOD / Demolitions Medicine
Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR)
Sharpshooting and Sniping
Long Range Reconnaissance
Fast-Roping and Rappelling Psychological Operations (PSYOPS)

Photography
Close Quarters Combat (CQB)
Combat Diving Maritime Interdiction and Boarding Operations

Lots of things..

CPL Forsyth Army Ranger JTF2

Old 01-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Private

Smile

Thank you for the reply. But what type of things would the rangers have to do right now in Afghanistan or Iraq?

Old 01-04-2005, 12:05 AM
First Sergeant

Post golfgirl_11

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. But what type of things would the rangers have to do right now in Afghanistan or Iraq?
Army Rangers are elite.

Role
Armoured recce is all about information. Commanders always need up-to-date data to gain an advantage, so recce organizations gather information on what the enemy is doing and on what the ground in front looks like.

The role of the armoured reconnaissance squadron is to collect accurate tactical information about the enemy and the ground in all phases of war and to pass this information quickly to formation HQ.

The Queen's York Rangers trains as a recce squadron working for a brigade. Typically, recce squadron will conduct reconnaissance before an attack, or screen the front of the brigade in the defence.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reconnaissance Fundamentals
Observe without being detected: If you can't be seen, you can't be shot at.

Avoid engagement: Whenever possible, information is obtained by stealth. Engagements should be avoided except for self-defence when evading the enemy.

Confirm enemy disposition: When contact is made with the enemy or an obstacle is encountered, the situation must be developed quickly. The enemy disposition, i.e. strength, location, and composition, can only be determined by a special effort to determine the flanks of his position.

Report accurately: High level decisions may be based on information reported by individual patrols. To be of value, this information must be received in time to be used and it must be accurate.

Make and maintain contact: It is the general rule that once contact is made with the enemy it is maintained and not broken without authority from higher HQ.

The Art of Reconnaissance
The art of reconnaissance is as old as warfare itself, In ancient days, commanders in need of information on the enemy used scouts (speculatores) to reconnoitre enemy territory and find enemy dispositions. The horse mounted hussars were widely used for reconnaissance: cavalry patrols were always in the vanguard of the main body and commanders relied on specially selected young officers to bring them updated information during the heat of battle; sometimes these daring exploits required great bravery and dedication. The dashing hussars came to be highly regarded and acceptance into these fine regiments was a coveted goal for many youngsters in search of adventure and social status.

Later, when the motor vehicle emerged as a tool for modern reconnaissance, the need for independent action and improvisation presented challenges for the best officers, who found reconnaissance work well suited to their characters. Today, the reconnaissance team leaders are still carefully selected and trained for their mission, The search for information, although aided by modern electronic means and air support, is still of the utmost importance for the ground commander. Moreover, as the speed of events in battle is stepped up by high mobility and intensive firepower, real-time reliable intelligence is vital for command split-second decision making

Hope this helps.

CPL Forsyth

Old 01-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Private

yes that helps! thank you!

Old 01-04-2005, 04:14 PM
First Sergeant

Default golf girl

Quote:
yes that helps! thank you!

Im Glad anytime

Old 01-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Sergeant

Send a message via Yahoo to Grimes

I almost joined a Ranger forum. But i found this one instead. Rangers are only second and third to the Delta Force. Which is extremly top secret. and the Navy SEALS. If you can remember when PFC Jessica Lynch was taken hostage, the Rangers were the ones that rescued her. Only a few are recommended for Ranger School and fewer make it through and are then known as Rangers.

Rangers are also part of the Airborne Division. These guys jump behind enemy lines with a few Air force boys to help set up a runway. There are also summer and Wwnter Rangers.

When I graduate high school i want to be a Ranger.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:15 PM
Private

Smile

Thanks for writing me about Rangers! My friend that is in Afghanistan right now is a ranger and I'm so worried cause now that I have found out some of the things that they do I worry about him 24/7. He has called me a couple of times since he's been there so I know he is ok, but I still think about him and worry about him everyday. What makes you want to be a ranger so bad?

Old 01-29-2005, 10:50 PM
Sergeant

Send a message via Yahoo to Grimes
Default Why?

My mom and brother want to know the same thing. My mom wants me to join the Airforce. My brother on the other hands would want me to be a Marine. More challenging than regular Army. So I want to be a Ranger becuase they are more of a challenge. Other than that I don't know.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:43 AM
Private

Smile

Well thats understandable, I think thats a good quality to have, to want to push yourself. I admire anyone who makes it through all the stuff they go through to be a Ranger. I guess thats like the only thing that keeps me for worrying to death while he's over there cause I know he's been through just about everything through training so I know he can handle anything over there ya know. Are you wanting to do the airborne part of it and go through Rip and everything?