armyreal.com - Forums

Go Back   ArmyReal.com Forums > Military Discussions > General Military Discussions
User Name
Password

Old 04-15-2009, 09:05 AM
First Lieutenant

Default Airborne question

I am very interested in going Airborne after AIT. The problem is that when I recieved my contract the option wasn't available with it. I didn't worry much because I heard it is a voluntary thing anyway and that I just had to ask for it later. I guess being tired and not wanting to argue with the liason i accepted it and moved on.

Now I get the feeling that it will be more difficult to get it after the fact. Can anyone chime in? Who/where/what do I need to do to get Airborne. I am not an infantry MOS so I doubt there will be any Airborne recruiters coming to my AIT in Ft Gordon GA. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Brigadier General

Call your Recruiter. Tell him that you want your contract to have Option 4 included.

If you wanted it he should have told you about it & made it happen & you should have held out until you have the exact contract that you want.

Hopefully it's not too late.

Something similar happened to my son when he went to MEPS in '03. He wanted Airborne Infantry & better yet Ranger. No Infantry OSUT slots were available at that time. Instead of telling him to wait a while they told him he could be a 19D Cav Scout with Airborne when the Airborne School & Ranger Recruiters came to his AIT. The only trouble with that is that the 75th Ranger Regt. doesn't have any 19Ds & his chance of at least going to Airborne School was next to nothing & his chance of going to RIP was totally none. I contacted the Recruiter's 1SG & he sent the Recruiter over to void the contract. This was in August. He finally got the 11X Option 40 (RIP) contract after Christmas & received a $10,000 bonus for 11X & another $5000 for Airborne & RIP. He came home as a SGT from the 3rd Ranger Batt last May.

What's not available today might likely be available in a few months with possibly even a bonus.

While my son was in Infantry OSUT the Airborne recruiters came by & all of those without contracts who volunteered were selected. Talking to SGT Airborne he was wondering why Recruiters weren't writing Option 4 Airborne contracts because their classes were not nearly full.

Only two who without Option 40 contacts were selected for RIP. That class was fairly full.
Retired MSG
I was a Soldier. I am a Soldier. I will always be a Soldier.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 PM
First Lieutenant

Yeah, I asked for it with the liason at MEPS. He made a few clicks of the mouse and it wasn't available. I've already signed my contract and everything, if I call my recruiter it is still possible to change it to include the Option 4?

Old 04-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Brigadier General

There's a secret that very few know. You can get out of the contract. You'll then be considered a DEP drop. They'll treat you like schit at MEPS when your paperwork is processed, though. Nobody likes a quitter but they won't know that you're actually still wanting to serve in the Army but just with a different contract.

Keep at your Recruiter. He might be lazy toward you because he's already received credit for you on his quota. It doesn't hurt to give it a try.

I wish those bozos at MEPS would try to make recruits happy. They could have just as easily told you that Airborne School was filled up but try again at the first of the month. Your ASVAB & physical will still be good. All they have to do is check the computer & your Recruiter has to give MEPS a call every few days. Then they have to generate a contract with all the things (within reason) that the recruit qualifies for. It doesn't cost them one dime extra & very little time to get the desired contract right the first time.

They take it for granted that the recruit will be cowed & overwhelmed at MEPS & will take everything as gospel. Puts me in mind of used car salesmen. Get the sale then adios, on to the next. Meanwhile 5 miles down the road the thing breaks down. Tough $h!t. The AS IS sign meant what it said.

Just keep at your Recruiter. He won't want to do it but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the most grease.
Retired MSG

Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 PM
First Lieutenant

Thanks for the help!

*picks up phone and dials recruiter*

Old 04-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizo View Post
Thanks for the help!

*picks up phone and dials recruiter*
Let me know how it turns out & what the Recruiter says.
Retired MSG

Old 04-15-2009, 03:55 PM
First Lieutenant

Well, I just got off the phone with my recruiter. She said the only way to change contract is at MEPS and that I could ask again when I ship. Or at AIT I when I put in my wish list I could ask to be sent to Ft. Bragg.

I don't wanna DEP out because I am afraid it will change my ship date.

I have a few buddies that I can try to pull some strings with that are Airborne. Maybe they can hook me up with a recruiter when I get to AIT.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Brigadier General

Changing your contract could very well change your ship date. They wouldn't want you to be in
Airborne holdover too long waiting for a class with some open slots.

As it is they have to coordinate BCT with AIT.
Retired MSG

Old 04-15-2009, 04:38 PM
First Lieutenant

Thats what I figured. I'll just have to be pressing about the issue in AIT if I can't get the option 4 added on at MEPS when I ship.